General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

shannonNJ
Rank 0
Rank 0

Northeast/NY/NJ/CT Breeders ?

Post by shannonNJ »

Hi All,

I'm new here (a great community you all have going here, btw) and actively preparing in adding a chow baby to my family. We've suffered a recent loss of our 14 y/o fur baby Max, and feel it's time to make a new addition. However, the search for breeders in the North East is treacherous. I live in Central New Jersey and would like to personally be able to pick up our new addition and be able to see where he is coming from as opposed to him being shipped. Unless of course, some of you know of worthy breeders elsewhere that are extremely reputable.

My family and I would greatly appreciate any input you all may have.

Thanks so much :D

Shannon
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Northeast/NY/NJ/CT Breeders ?

Post by Merlin »

Please contact the Chow Club USA for a list of breeders who have signed a code of ethics to adhere to a minimum standard.
http://www.chowclub.org/

Quality breeders aren't found on puppyfind, or kijiji.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Have you ever thought of rescuing a Chow there are so many that need help...Our 2 are rescues and there beautiful..Our kodi is pictured Below he is a big lovable Boy...we got him from Chow chow rescue of NY..if interested i can post there link or go on Facebook and friend request them..i will always get one from them again...Its nice to save a life...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

I live in Central NI also South plainfield...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Ingrid
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ingrid »

A friend of mine has 2 chows from Mi Pao (Ontario Canada). They are both healthy chows and have nice personalities. She even brings them off leash to dog parks! They are the heavily built show type. The breeder has a good reputation and has been breeding chows for decades. Might be a little too far for you to drive but i thought I'd mention them.

http://www.mipao.com/
shannonNJ
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shannonNJ »

Thank you kitten! I will look into that. & south Plainfield is rather close! I am located in Colonia (Woodbridge area) :)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

It might be a stretch distance for you, but i have 2 chows from Eastway Chows in Plymouth MA. An 18 month old Red male, and our new pup is a 10 week old female. Believe she will ultimately end up a a cinnamon.

They do a nice job of selecting parents and both my dogs have great temperments. Amber, the female is still a bit rambunctious, but is quickly learning the sit/down commands. Very smart pup. You can search my posts for pics of the both dogs, and their website shows a lot of pics of their males, females, and litters.

Their most recent litter is all rehomed, with 3 of the 6 going to repeat homes. When we picked up Amber, their female Tais was in heat and had been matched with Ray who is Amber sire. Likely they will have a new litter in a month or so.

They are very approachable and should answer any questions you have. We keep in touch regularly and they are always interested in how the pups are doing. Rory has been showing for the last year (sporadically) and does well. Amber was the litter pick, and we co-own her with them for breeding.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

shannonNJ wrote:Thank you kitten! I will look into that. & south Plainfield is rather close! I am located in Colonia (Woodbridge area) :)
Your welcome..they have a few puppies right now..you might be able to get on there list?...Oh yeah you are close...
shannonNJ
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shannonNJ »

Great thanks to you Rory's dad! A Mass trip for a pup would certainly be doable! Will definitely check them out!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

know nothing about this breeder or what you price range might be, but this is a good looking pup...

Again, not a recommendation, but maybe worth a look...

http://www.puppyfind.com/view_listing/? ... 03afa944b6
Jdcell100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jdcell100 »

I live in scranton pa. Found a great breeder in ohio we got are blu boy in October from her 6 hour drive for us but would do it again in a heart beat. If you need info let me know