Bordetella

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Bordetella

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

Do many of you allow the vet to use the Bordetella nasal vacine? I understand it is used if the dog is boarded, around other dogs constantly, grooming places or dog shows. Other than that is it really necessary? Does the dog need all these vacines?
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Bordetella

Post by Sirchow »

Mine never have it. I dont give them any vaccines except the parvo one once a year. But we dont have rabies and lime desease here and I avoid kennel cough like the plague.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

After puppy shots were done, I've only ever done rabies and that's because it's required by law.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Ingrid
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ingrid »

I never had the vaccination done because my dogs are not ever boarded. Both my dogs caught bordetella at a dog park. It's basically a dog cold and they fought it off themselves. Even the 13 year old pug fought it off without medications. But if you have a dog who is in poor health (who may not be able to fight it off himself), it might be a good idea to have it.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

THANK YOU for asking this question. We just spent $300 bucks for their final shots and 3-year rabies. We are planning to ONLY do the rabies as no other dog I have ever had ever had ANY of all the plethora of shots the Vet suggests.

With Bordetella, then, would you ask for an administration IF you were planning for board for a time? If so, perhaps I should be sure to have some baby-sitters who could come here, instead.

Great question! Thanks again for asking.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Just saw this in this morning's paper. It's about parvo, not kennel cough (bordetella) but it is a warning about what can happen without regular vaccinations.

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2013/02/25/fa ... d-by-virus
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Bordetella nasal spray you can get before boarding if needed, but there is a waiting period, so check with your Vet .. or boarder. Some want it 2 wks prior to boarding around here if its the live nasal spray.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

My two have only had the bordetella vac thing once, when they were boarded in an emergency. They were borded at their vets so I didn't worry about it one way or another. It is a cold like virus and they should be able to fight it off as sais if they are healthy, if they aren't they can get very sick and give it to other dogs.

Mine normally get their Parvo/distemper vacs every year and rabies every other year, (but since the city I now live in has no laws about that, they will get it every three years) and they will be getting Lymes vacs now too. I moved to a place where there are deer, and most likely ticks.

Parvo is a problem because it is not a natural disease it is the result of an experimental cure for a feline disease that crossed speicias and became a disease in canines, (stupid lab never should have had the two species so close together! or the idiot techs and drs. should have used better sterile technique). So no canine speices has a natural protection against it. Wolves are now developing one and Coyotes may be as well. It's what caused part of the stagnation in the wolf repopulation effort for a while. But now the wolf population is growing again, so they might have developed some natural resistence to it. Eventually domestic canines may develope some natural resistance but it will take a while, espiecially since they are being vacinated, it will be hard to tell if they actually are naturally resistant or if it is all from the vacine.

Oh and don't forget the heart worm tests and medication. Most of the US now has high incidents of heartworm and lots of mosquitoes.

Sirol you are lucky not to have all this crap over there.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Andria
Rank 0
Rank 0

Bordetella

Post by Andria »

Although I do not board Eddie, I stay current on the Bordatella because he goes to the groomer every 3 weeks and the dog park weekly...we don't use the nasal spray tho...just the injected vaccine