Can you really have...

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Can you really have...

Post by TyChowgirl »

Two male chows? I know Marti has two brothers, which I think is totally different because I know when Ty got to meet and play with his brother, he LOVED him. But I've been tossing the idea back and forth...what if I were to get another male, but puppy. Ty will be 2 on Valentine's day. Is it possible this could work? I would definitely need a bolder, friendlier (not dominant, still kinda laid back) puppy to be his compliment. This is why I know Ty gets along so well with his brother. Chrysalis is a friendly goofy chow with very little reservations...Ty who we got a month later is skittish, shy, and sometimes insecure/submissive. He also seems to get along better with male dogs in general. I don't know if it's because many females he meets are pretty dominant or what the issue is...but, thoughts?
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Can you really have...

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I'm sure it's doable! If introduced right, and taught boundaries with eachother, I'm sure you can do it. :)
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I have 2 male Chows, a male Pekingese, and have a foster male Chow currently. I have also had different male foster chows. My pack seems to do better with males. I have fostered 2 different female chows at different times but the females were a little standoffish with them. I guess the girls didn't like the goofy male attitude around here.
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

I always get males...currently I have a 14 year old yorkie/pom and 2 year old chow/husky. Honestly it has more to do with the dogs personality and temperament more so than what gender they are. Two females can have issues or even a male and a female can or two males...you'll see the problems arise when you have two dogs that both have a strong personality. As you stated, it would be better to get a more laid back pup to compliment your current babe. The chow pup I will be getting, will be male and I'm really not that overly concerned...there could be issues, but I will start NILIF right away and my other two all ready been doing it from the start. I do think him being a puppy will help it go smoother too.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I would never have same *Censored Word* chows again. Been there done that and it was a disaster of fighting and separation as the years went by. That's just my two cents though.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

I have two males, not by choice but by chance. We had Loki two years before Frisco came (originally on a foster basis). From day one they got along. They eat from each others bowls, walk side by side and in over five years have never had a fight. I think the clue is that Frisco is low keyed and not a typical alpha male. I didn't know any better when we agreed to take Frisco. I guess we have been lucky. They seem to genuinely like each other. When we go for our daily walk they don't like to get out of each others view. I usually walk Loki and my husband walks Frisco as he is much bigger and stronger. We have a happy pack!!!
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

Personally feel it's a stereo type that two same gender dogs can't get along, as well as a deception that two females or a male/female will get along. I believe it's possible, if you pick the right temperaments to go together and make sure you are establishing who really is top dog by using a method such as NILIF from the get go.
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

We have a household of 3 male dogs and two females, everyone gets along great. We won't, however, have two larger breed females together, just to be safe. My female chow and my female toy poodle are both very docile dogs, temperament wise.Both are over two and mature, and have no issues. And my late poodle mix female was the same through all of her 16 years, but we don't want to tempt fate. I've never had male/male aggression issues, though. We tend to gravitate more towards male dogs, it seems.