General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

archeese
Rank 0
Rank 0

What does your Chow eat?

Post by archeese »

Hello fellow Chow lovers,
I have a 6.5 year old Chow with weight problems. We just can't seem to get his weight down no matter what we do. He's pretty big-boned so the vet wants him at 75 pounds, but he's currently at 82. What type of food do you guys feed your Chows? He isn't a big eater and he's pretty picky (like I am sure most of your Chows are too!). Recommendations, suggestions are much appreciated!
Jdcell100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: What does your Chow eat?

Post by Jdcell100 »

My blu 5 month old dose great on blu buffalo
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

I feed Diamond Lamb and Rice Naturals and just switched my chow/husky off to Extreme Athlete Naturals [chicken]...my other dog will remain on the lamb and rice. Maybe your dog needs a lower calorie diet...maybe lower protein too? I'm not by any means an expert and just learning some new things myself...thus the change of diet for my chow/husky, who has a higher energy level and doesn't seem satisfied on his current diet. I was looking into Taste of the Wild, but all of them were about the same protein/cal wise to what I was feeding, so I decided against it. However it may be a good food to look into, I hear many good things about it and the fish formula was pretty low on those things, plus it's suppose to be great for the coat and skin. Daily walks help too, start out slow and take only short ones if he's not use to it and then work it up little by little.

I'm sure others will have plenty of better suggestions, just figured I'd toss a bit out there to start with. Good luck!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

My lab/chow mix eats Taste of the Wild. He was on the Wetlands formula, but they started adding chicken meal in it and he's allergic to chicken, so we switched him to the sierra Mountain formula.

My other mix eats Kibbles 'n Bits; which is a crappy food, but it's what she doesn't have issues on. My late chow girl ate it too.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

What does your Chow eat?

Post by Pinoy51 »

feeding Holistic kibbles with Pedigree "farm-style" wet food mixed under.
Both love it, no issues with weight, skin etc.
Give fish oil once a day with fatty acids, vitamines and minerals.
Best regards
Pinoy51
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

How many times a day are you feeding and how many cups for each feeding :?:
As Applebear says daily walks starting gradually, if you are not already walking.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

We feed our dogs One time a day..Our Male chow gets 2 cups of kibble...we use pro plan or the taste of the wild..a half cup of wet dog food...we use pedigree...he gets,1 tbsp,cottage cheese,1 tbsp yougurt,he get about half a cup of sweet potatoes cooked,half cup carrots cooked,half cup parsnips cooked,we give them sometime bananas,apple...Oh forgot about half cup of liver cooked...so he gets about 4-5 cups of food at one sitting...and sometime we give him an extra cup or 2 kibble when done..depends if he sits there and looks at us...lol..Also we give them bady food...they love it...by the way this is for all 4 of our dogs everynite...Different amounts for each dog tho...our female chow she eats about 3-4 cups a day..our collie he eats about 6-7 cups a day..Our Airedale he eats about 7-8 somedays 10 cups depends on his mood...We always joke tho must be what we feed them thats why there so BIG...lol i just measured Kodi last nite he is 26 inches at the shoulders...Mia our femal chow is a little over 22 inches at the shoulders...Bear the Airedale is 30 inches at the shoulders..and our collie..is over 27 inches at the shoulders..hard to measure doesnt want to sit still...lol...Oh yeah we give him fish oil and coconut oil too with there meals...sometimes Olive oil too...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

My chows eat about 3 and a half cups of food per day. They eat Innova most times, red meat formula as my boy is also allergic to chicken. My girl is gaining a little weight but she's always been a bit thin so she could do it. She's a svelte thing at 40-45 lbs. My boy is a little guy too, and weights around 45lbs when I can get his weight where it needs to be. Innova has a good weight loss formula

Don't fall for that picky eater bit, feed him an appropriate amount for the weight you want him to be at, of a good quality food. no human food, no additives to make him eat it, and if he doesn't don't worry. Fasting will help him lose weight. And getting him to a weight which will not cause damage to his joints, heart, pancreas etc is what you want. Overweight dogs have the same issues as overweight humans but it shows up sooner. Which I'm sure you know.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!