Not sure what to think...

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

gablestacy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Not sure what to think...

Post by gablestacy »

I have a chow mix 8yrs old that is GREAT with kids but will not let an adult she doesn't know in our home and that's good with me! but Zoe at 15 weeks has always liked everyone. Most she has met outside our home. My in laws came to spend the weekend with us and she was fine with them until we all went to bed. Zoe will not sleep anywhere but the end of our hallway and both nights my in laws were trying to get to the bathroom and she had a fit! She never tried to bite them just sat in the middle doing a kinda growl bark sound. Both nights they tried talking to her but she wouldn't stop until I got up and talked to her then she laid back down. Just wondering as she gets old if she will act like that away from home? LOL I live in the middle of no where and I like my dogs to be protective here but would like to be able to take her places with me.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Re: Not sure what to think...

Post by Judy Fox »

With the greatest respect, I think that you need to teach your little Zoe one important lesson - You are the Mummy Person and she is the Chow Chow - therefore - you say and she does. :roll:
I think 15 week old is a little young for a Chowling to decide where she is going to sleep! :shock:
You need to put your foot down with a firm hand! :lol: and teach the little madame that she sleeps where you want and you are in control.
She is ruling you at the moment and Chow Chows are good at that. They are arrogant little madames at the best of times and can very quickly get out of control unless you assert yourself.
You are a small pack and you must assert yourself as the alpha.
She will get the message. :wink:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
gablestacy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gablestacy »

LOL I think me and Zoe have a lot of work to do! I really have been for the most part letting her do what she wants because she really has been a very good puppy! I have had A LOT of dogs in my life and she has been so different. She has never chewed on things she shouldn't or whined to get in the bed or any of the normal annoying puppy stuff. She even house trained herself! I normally work with abused dogs that I have to be very easy with to gain there trust. With them its easy for me to train but my Zoe is very different and I will have to change some things for her. Thanks!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes chow puppies are easy to train. Mine have never chewed anything they should not and they houssetrained themselves in two or three days but they are very self-willed and stubborn. Absolutely gorgeous girls as were Milly and Mabel before them but they need ground rules and a firm, but kind hand.
They are so different - they don't work like other dogs do they?
I just love them! Little Moos. :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

That's the great and bad thing about Chows...they are so well mannered, clean and instantly housebroke, that it's often forgot that we need to still train them. It is still good to crate train them and set boundaries. :)

Both my past chows and my current chow mix were all instantly housebroke. I even brought my current boy from living outdoors into indoors and he still has yet to have an accident. They just seem to know. lol But I still used a crate with him...now I hardly put him in it [he's over 2 yrs], but he'll go in it on his own every so often to relax. I also use NILIF [Nothing in Life is Free] with all my dogs, it is a very effective form of training helping them understand who leads the gang. I love NILIF because it is very effective, but also subtle...dogs are learning with simple sit and wait commands. Check it out sometime. :)

Best of luck with Zoe!