Zoe will not eat her dog food...

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

gablestacy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Zoe will not eat her dog food...

Post by gablestacy »

I say she won't but she will eat a little bit. My husband thinks she needs to gain a few pounds but she is very picky about what she eats. The last few days I have been soaking her food and she will eat a little more like that but I don't want her to get use to that and never eat it dry. I have always thought they need the dry to help clean there teeth. I have also been cooking her some chicken every few days and I am thinking that may be why she doesn't want the dog food. Any ideas how I can get her to eat a little better? The dog food brand we have been using is Nutro Natural Choice should I switch to something else?
Hayley92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Zoe will not eat her dog food...

Post by Hayley92 »

I would take a good bet on the chicken causing the problem, especially if shes eating that well but refusing to eat the dog food. I would try a mixer diet, tastes and smells nicer for the dog and is more appealing for a lot of dogs as its not like eating a bowl of dry cereal, perhaps drop a little bit of chicken into a dry/wet bowl of food to start with to encourage her then stop.
sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sue »

Instead of just water to soak it put a stock cube in boiling water when it cools down poor that onto the food either beef or chicken flavoured
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Mmm! Another case of Zoe calling the tune! :)
Cut out the chicken for a bit. Put the food down - if she does not eat it - tough - she will when she is hungry enough!
You really cannot pander to a puppy - she is adorable, I know - and you love her so much - but you have got to take control and lay down the ground rules before she gets much older if you want a beautiful grown up chow lady you can take places with you.
You will be so proud of her when she is grown up and behaving as a beautiful arrogant, stubborn, snotty-totty chow lady instead of a spoilt diva!
Trust me! :wink:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Yep, what Judy said. They are picky eaters, but no canine will starve itself. Also chows are sometimes just not hungry, they eat just what they need for the time then stop. Most dogs are seriously over weight these days, but a chow that eats just enough will not be over weight.

And never ever give your chow commercial broth made from dry broth cubes, they are full of salt and onions both of which are bad for your chow. If you want to give broth, make it yourself, a bit of chicken, some of the long bones, no salt, no onion. skim off the fat.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!