General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tori
Rank 0
Rank 0

chow first heat

Post by Tori »

Hi guys :shock:
So my puppy Snoopy is 9months and yesterday she jumped on my bed and I noticed she dropped blood on my sheets..I took her outside and checked it out...vigina covered in blood and I wiped it with a tissue..but I did some research and her viginal area isn't swollen at all but there is blood coming out of it(hahahah sounds gross) so any tips/warnings? Does the viginal area eventually swell? Does the bleeding get worse?
I get so sad wen she doesn't understand that suddenly she's not allowed in the house.
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: chow first heat

Post by applebear »

I am not an expert, but if I remember right...swelling isn't bad at first, and increases the further in the heat cycle she is, as she becomes closer to her prime breeding time. My only warning is not to keep her outside unsupervised and keep her in clean areas to lesson any risk of infections. Males are able to smell her from great distances and will go to amazing feats to breed with her...dogs have even been known to breed through chain link fences. I think many get their dogs hot pants so they don't have to worry about the blood getting all over in the house. :)
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

My girl Tippsy, vulva never swelled and she was also never spayed.

And I would NEVER leave a female in heat outside unsupervised. Males will do anything in their power to get to an in season female. They sell doggy diapers for females in heat. That would be a good investment to keep her inside from wandering males. Also, I would keep her leashed when taken outside.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Tori
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tori »

Its the second day and there's not much swelling or blood and she's constantly licking her vulva..she has hasn't eaten the whole day
I'm worried..its my first female dog
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

She is probably a little uncomfortable and if she is not being allowed in the house that will upset her.
You might try putting pants on her to help stop blood dripping inthe house.
It all lasts for about 3 weeks but she will probably be quite good at cleaning herself up.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Hahaha, what have i gotten myself into...getting my 1st female next week.

That aside, i have started doing some research in an effor to prepare myself, and i think Applebear has it right. The swelling occurs as she reaches peak.

We have been trying to game plan for the 1st few cycles as well, and I agree, she must be sequestered during the entire cycle. My 17 month old male does AKC shows, and his handler has had up to 17 other dogs at the same time. When the females are in season, its an absolute madhouse.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

chow first heat

Post by Pinoy51 »

Nala just went through her first cycle and I had Simba neutered just in time :-)
She, like all other females I had, is very good in cleaning herself.
All other advises are just great so nothing else to add, all the best for your young lady.
Best regards
Pinoy51