Chowlingmommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Desexing question?

Post by Chowlingmommy »

If you have previously read my other post I'm looking to get a chow chow pup
And I'm so excited
I just have a question as I'm unsure about desexing
Iv been talking to a breeder and her pups come already desexed is this ok?
I didn't think they could be desexed until the were a little older?
And info will be very helpful
Thanks
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Desexing question?

Post by Blackbear »

Choose another breeder. There is no way an 8 week old puppy will be due *Censored Word*. There are varying thoughts on desexing but somewhere between 5-12 months is normal
Chowlingmommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowlingmommy »

That's what I thought I didn't think it sounded right I always thought as I'm wanting a male they had to drop before desexing
Thankyou for your reply and help :)
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

It's very possible to do, rescues do it all the time with puppies they adopt out; but I don't see why a responsible breeder would do it so young. If anything they would have a spay/neuter agreement in their contract. I've spoken to a few breeders who have their contracts stating by 6 months and others who urge their buyers to wait until closer to 18 months, but as I said, never so young.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Chowlingmommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowlingmommy »

yeah im leading towards not buying from her as her pricing is $2500 plus the price of desexing and thats over everywhere else iv taked to
(not that money is a problem) it just doesnt seem right to me or i cold just be being picky :/
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

That seems very odd - I didnt know it was possible until much older than a few weeks.
I think that there are a lot of benefits to neutering a dog, both health and behavioural. But this breeder sounds shonky!
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Correct me if I'm wrong but one of the issues with doing it so young is that the dog sticks in puppyhood phase longer and doesn't allow to mature right or normally or something.
Chowlingmommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowlingmommy »

I am not sure but I was planning on getting he or she desexed at the right time not that early
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

TyChowgirl wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but one of the issues with doing it so young is that the dog sticks in puppyhood phase longer and doesn't allow to mature right or normally or something.
I've actually never heard that. :lol: I know they won't develop to their full potential, like they would when left unaltered until almost 2 years old. I actually wish I could have waited longer than 6 months to spay Dixie.
Jess
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Any shelter or rescue will tell you that puppies as young as 8 weeks are sterilized before they are placed into a new home.
This breeder is a responsible one and that's all s he is. It's possible that she has become jaded to the fact that her clientele don't respect contracts, so she decided to
look after the sterilization part herself. It in no way makes her a "bad" breeder, and certainly not an irresponsible one.

There are other caveats you should look for in a quality breeder. If you aren't being offered a written contract { especially for that kind of money}, that defines the terms of sale, covers health issues, outlines the return/replacement policy, then yes, consider shopping somewhere else.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blackbear »

I fully support desexing but there is quite some debate about doing it too young. From what I understand desexing affects there hormone production which during the growth period, say up to 10months, the puppy needs for proper muscle development etc. Also on males the testicles dont descend umtil about 4months.
Jdcell100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jdcell100 »

My vet won't spay or nutear until 6 months old.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Jdcell100 wrote:My vet won't spay or nutear until 6 months old.
All the ones I've been to won't either.
Jess
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I too think it's too young, but Merlin may have a point. I would question the breeder on their reasoning. If you get and acceptable answer, go with your instinct. But if not, they may be trying to eliminate a genetic defect or other fault in their breed line.
Chowlingmommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowlingmommy »

When I asked why she desexed so early and expressed my concerns as I'm after a boy about wanting his testicles to fully drop as they say before desexing all I got replied was (and I might add all in capitals)
All my pups are strictly sold desexed prior to going to their new homes
So seem as she wasn't giving me an answer just repeating in capitals what she had previously stated I am certain I don't want to continue to discuss getting a pup from her
It saddens me that I have not found a breeder I am happy with so far as there aren't that many to choose from and the one I did find I was happy with would not sell me a puppy or even give me a chance because I said I have a child
Hopefully there is a puppy out there for me soon :)
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Wow... Talk about having a screw loose. I'd drop the breeder for not giving me an answer too. And the one who won't give you the chance because you have a child is ridiculous too. I hope you can find a good breeder you're comfortable with.
Jess
Chowlingmommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowlingmommy »

Yeah I hope so
Yeah I was in a state of shock when she didn't even talk to me after I said I had a child she kind of ignored me and said she would never even consider selling to someone with a child under 8 then went silent and hung up talk about rude
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

If you are limited to breeders to choose from I have to guess you are not in the U.S.. So many breeders of all types on Puppyfind.com and many Chows to Adopt out there. Some breeders and Rescues fear lawsuits from unscrupulous Attorneys hired by customers when young children are in the household. Some dogs do not know what to make of those strange, tail pulling little humans. :shock: :o
Chowlingmommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowlingmommy »

There are absolutely no chows for adoption in Australia which is good means they all have a home :)
There are very little breeders here and all have waiting lists so I'm in for a long wait
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I'm not too informed on flight times into Australia, or what the import laws might be, but many responsible breeders will ship worldwide (so to speak) for an additional fee.

I agree that responses to both breeders you mention was unacceptable, and best to move on even though it may mean a longer wait or a tougher search.

You are doing all the right things in researching both the breed and the breeders. Asking tough questions usually will separate out the unscrupulous breeders. However, they are not giving these dogs away and are not offering discount deals. Most of those that do are subjecting you to about, oh say 10 -15 years of vet bills and care that isnt necessary when responsible breeding takes place. Failure to comply with a disclosure request certainly raises the flags.

I would venture that a breeder that will not sell to people with children know they have a line with behavioral problems. I personally have owned 3 male chows. Two have passed now, but will be adding a female next week as a companion (OK girlfriend), to my 17 month old. Our 1st two males were bought for each child on their 5th birthday. Those dogs were fantastic companions to each child and great protectors. I have many stories about each dog and how they did some pretty amazing things in their lives. My kids never forget and have great memories.

I will do a bit of searching around to see what really is available to your 'neck of the woods.
Chowlingmommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowlingmommy »

Thankyou so much for your information
I have contacted a few breeders overseas but upon further looking I to shipping myself found a dog cannot be brought to Australia any younger than 6months and then needs a further 6weeks in quarantine which I'm not comfortable doing as I'd like to start training and am not wanting a pup that old to start with
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blackbear »

I can recommend tsulin kennel in vic or sherae kennel. Both our boys are from tsulin and our friend has show quality chows from sherae.
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blackbear »

Sorry sherae is in wa.
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blackbear »

And also try ciobears kennels. I think they will be having a litter first half of this year. They have the coolest male chow.
Chowlingmommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowlingmommy »

Hi I am on the wait list with sherae and ciaobears are the ones this post is about they desex before the puppy is received and I am uncomfortable about that
but thankyou for your help