Moderator: chowadmin

Chowlingmommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

New puppy

Post by Chowlingmommy »

Hi I'm new on this site

As a child I grew up with chow chows :D they are amazing
I have been doing research and refreshing my mind and now as an adult I think it's time to get my own chow baby
I am currently looking at 2 females but can't decide which one and the don't seem furry like chow pups should to me
What do you guys think?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (37.18 KiB) Viewed 7561 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (39.89 KiB) Viewed 7561 times
Jdcell100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: New puppy

Post by Jdcell100 »

There gorgeous
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

They are cute but how old are they? Have you seen both parents? Chow babies should be littlefat roly-poly looking balls of fur. I'm no expert - maybe these are still only very young.
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

These look pretty young yet, but looking at the parents would tell you a lot...give you an idea of what they may look like as adults to some degree.

Good luck on your adventure, def keep us posted. :)
Chowlingmommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowlingmommy »

The breeder said they are 7weeks yes I seen the mum and dad mum was a cream and dad was a red very nice looking chows however I feel the puppy's don't look poofy enough so to speak so I will keep looking or waiting as iv found there are no other litters available ATM :(
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Look like typical chow puppies to me, but look younger than 7 weeks in the pictures.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

See my response on your other post. I agree, they dont look 7 weeks in those photos.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

And by the way, those photos are horrible. If you are considering either of these pups, request separate photos of each. Make sure they include angle shots...front on face, profile of head, full body, rear, etc.

Lots of things you need to look at if you can't see the dogs in person...

Is tummy bloated? Is tail properly curled? Are rear legs reasonably straight and stiff. Eyes...are they clear and bright with reasonable lid clearance?
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

Tippsy'smom wrote:Look like typical chow puppies to me, but look younger than 7 weeks in the pictures.
I was thinking same thing, I wouldn't of guessed 7 weeks at all hehe
Chowlingmommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowlingmommy »

It's ok iv chosen to keep looking as when iv replied about other angled pics the breeder said they are the only pics she has :/
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Chowlingmommy wrote:It's ok iv chosen to keep looking as when iv replied about other angled pics the breeder said they are the only pics she has :/
Good on you. Sounds like a BYB... Many red flags with this person...
Jess
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

Tippsy'smom wrote:
Chowlingmommy wrote:It's ok iv chosen to keep looking as when iv replied about other angled pics the breeder said they are the only pics she has :/
Good on you. Sounds like a BYB... Many red flags with this person...
Agreed...keep searching, picking a ethical breeder is worth the wait.

PS A rescue could be an idea too. :)
Chowlingmommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowlingmommy »

I have looked at rescue but as I live where chows are far and few between there are absolutely no chows up for adoption but that's a good thing :)
There is only one breeder in my state and like 10 in the whole of my country so I'm in for a wait and a bit of a drive to pick my baby up but it will be worth it :)
Thanks for all the support and help
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

Yeah I hear you there, I looked into rescue as well first...but the few I did find were older and didn't get along with other dogs [which was a must in my case]. I started looking in my state for breeders...I found two, both very much BYBs. Tried surrounding states...nothing. I gave up on trying to find one close and looked everywhere from FL, NY to CA. Was scary how many I had to pass up because of red flags, bybs, etc..

The effort pays off though, I am now waiting for my little smooth to be born from the ethical breeder I found. :D Best of luck and keep us posted! :)
Chowlingmommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowlingmommy »

i have found a few good breeders im happy with who have litters coming or are waiting for ultrasounds so fingers crossed :)
i am so excited im finding it hard to wait :)
will keep you posted and will def post pick when i eventually choose and bring home my furbaby :)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I think it was a good decision to pass on the pups if that breeder refused to provide you with additional pics. In the day of digital cameras, its really not that hard to do. Definitely think something was being hidden there. If you have access to a website, i would post a warning to other potential buyers...lol, i would be happy to do so if i had the info.

If you can tell us where you are at, we may be able to direct you to a reputable breeder. Some of the best do not list on the internet or otherwise advertise, as those pups go very quickly. I am due to get a 2nd pup, female, as a companion for Rory next week. My breeder had 6 pups in her most recent litter. 3 of the pups are going to homes with Chows from earlier litters. She only advertised the remaining 3, and at 6 weeks only 1 of those remain available.
Chowlingmommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowlingmommy »

Hi yes I'm from Adelaide in Australia and am having difficulty finding breeders as only a handful are listed
As far as I know there is no website I got given her number from another breeder I had talked to
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Chowlingmommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowlingmommy »

Yes iv done that and contacted all the breeders no one has any litters and are not breeding till later in the year :(
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Chowlingmommy wrote:Yes iv done that and contacted all the breeders no one has any litters and are not breeding till later in the year :(
Why such a hurry? I'd be happy to be on a list for a reputable breeder, even if it was going to be a long time until there were pups available. It's better to wait for the pup from a responsible breeder than end up with a pup with health problems from a BYB.
Jess
Chowlingmommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowlingmommy »

I'm not in a hurry and I'm very happy to be on waiting lists its just iv been looking for 3 years so guess Im just losing hope
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Just give it time. :lol: A responsible breeder won't breed unless they're 100% positive they're going to have homes for every pup produced. It can take a long time.
Jess
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

Having patience can be rough...but if it makes you feel any better [as I know it doesn't lol], I'm going on the year mark AFTER finding my breeder. The wait is worth it though, and I feel good about myself for not giving in and going with BYB and trust me, it was getting so frustrating there for awhile. I just reminded myself that it was important not to support a byb, it's the only power I personally have to help fight against them.

Hang in there, you won't regret going with an ethical breeder. :)
Chowlingmommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowlingmommy »

Thanks for the support guys :)