General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

'Dry Mane'

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Hi All
Clovers 'mane' (only on top) is dry .. Any suggestions on a product that may help?
Yes she drinks plenty of water, is eating properly (blue basics grain free) and I have also started incorporating a little coconut oil into her meals-
Yes, being winter in New England it is dry .. It is not an 'issue' or problem- just figure if she can have a better coat- why not!
Thoughts whether nutrition or product ?
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: 'Dry Mane'

Post by applebear »

There is this product called Fur Butter [Fur Worse] that I used on my chow/husky when he was going through his mange [it is not specifically made for mange, it is for dry skin and/or healing skin/coats]. I've mentioned it in past posts, but it really did wonders for his coat and skin...his problem areas were his feet, so that is where I lathered it up the most and let it set a good 10-15 minutes before rinsing. I started using it with oatmeal shampoo and it did wonders. Sounds like you're doing everything right, just thought maybe I'd suggest it as something to try. :)
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Applebear- this is perfect, exactly what I was looking for. I'll take a look into it,thx!
twistedcaduceus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by twistedcaduceus »

I wish my Shadow has a dry mane! She soaks up the water with her mane every time she drinks LOL!

BTW you can add a few drops of olive oil mixed with the food will do wonders. I tried it with my dachshund that got scraped by a speeding cab. Her leg got a really deep scrape and the spot where the wound healed had really dry skin and rougher coat. Olive oil added to kibble works wonders
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Oh heehe, don't be fooled- under her chin is not dry, she's a 'slobber-er' just the top, when I brush her, the static-like cling, which I feel almost makes it more dry? (Am I crazy?) our grooming sessions on top have not been as long, as I would like... I have been giving her coconut oil with her meals- which she loves!
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

I put in a capule of fish oil in her evening meal. Walking her yesterday I remarked to the wife how beautiful her coat looked.
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Cocoa gets the fish oil as well and it seems to do wonders for her coat.