Saw New Side of Whitby

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Saw New Side of Whitby

Post by reddog »

I had a heart-pounding note worthy happening last night. I was lying on the sofa half asleep watching the tail end of a movie when the doorbell rang. Of course that set off my back-up doorbell, aka Whitby. I went downstairs to the entry, opened the inside door and flipped on the porch light and there stood 2 policemen on the porch. Well, I saw and heard from a side of Whitby I’ve never known. I will usually nudge her with my knee and say “back” and she’ll back up when someone is at the door. This didn’t work last night. The sound of her barking was unnerving, she was like a wild woman and she would not back up. The policeman asked me if she was friendly and I told him that she usually is and this is the first time she has acted like this. I grabbed for her collar, forgetting that I usually take it off of her after our last walk for the night which had been about an hour earlier. So I grabbed her around the neck the best I could and guided her to the basement way and sent her down the steps and closed the door.. She continued barking in a ferocious tone the whole time I was talking with them. After they left, I opened the basement door and she charged up the steps and to the front door to check things out. Once she realized they were gone and all was well on the home front she simply laid down in her usual spot in the entry and went to sleep.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Saw New Side of Whitby

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Most police officers are "on guard" at all times. I am sure Whitby was picking up on their tension and trying to protect you from them. This is why a lot of police officers end up getting charged by dogs which a lot of times doesn't end up well for the dogs.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Nothing to worry about! When two armed, uniformed male strangers come to your house, this is the proper time for your dog to act protective! Don't you agree? :-)
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Sarahloo wrote:Nothing to worry about! When two armed, uniformed male strangers come to your house, this is the proper time for your dog to act protective! Don't you agree? :-)
I do agree with you. I live in a somewhat quiet neighborhood and when 2 policemen unexpectedly on my porch at 10PM I’m already on the alert. Whitby’s initial behavior was unnerving to me. As I’ve thought about it, I was both stunned and then amazed. Later, while lying in bed before I fell asleep, I ran the whole incident through my head and a bit of concern crept into my mind. Would the police consider her as being a vicious dog? I then remembered the one officer asking me if she was friendly and I told him she usually is and had never acted this way before. The last thought to run through my head before I fell asleep was that Whitby loves me and considers herself my protector. That’s a good feeling! \:D/ Good night BabyDog, mom loves you bunches & bunches.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I would be proud of her too! :lol: None of mine have ever done that but they do insist on staying at the door with me. :lol:
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Good girl Whitby looking after your Mum. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Good girl Whitby, protecting your Momma...Nikki was a good protector, no one got near our house when she was here Without us knowing someone was approaching. Bella would probably only trip the person cause she doesn't move for anything not even the door bell......
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Good girl Whitby, you did your job very well! Cocoa doesn't normally bark at people at the door but she will not let them in until I say it is okay. However if I bring someone in with me she doesn't even question it - chow common sense, obviously since they are with me they're okay. Just another example of how smart our chows are.
Nancy I think Cocoa is going to have to have a chat with Bella about her responsibilities as an honorary chow, ignoring the door bell is a no no. :lol:
Thomas
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thomas »

We were driving back from Montana with Teddie in the back seat (asleep). Passing through Idaho I got pulled over by a State Trooper (10 miles over the speed limit). When he came up to the car Teddie leapt to her feet and started barking and growling. I told her to "knock it off" and the trooper said, "Don't bark at me. I wasn't the one speeding." During the entire stop Teddie continued to growl and snort and the Trooper talked back to her just like they were having a conversation while he lectured me about not doing 80 in a 70 zone. He let me off with a warning and Roberta insists that Teddie is the reason I didn't get a ticket.

BTW - usually when Teddie barks and we tell her to calm down she lays back down and just watches, so yes, apparently the police get special attention.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Hee! Hee! Hee! I like it! :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Hi Thomas,

Loved your story regarding Teddie and the officer! =D= I think the officer may have been a "dog person" or had a dog of his own. I know I'm one of those people who will talk to dogs when I see them when I'm out and about. If I'm walking through a parking lot and hear a dog barking, I can't seem to resist walking to the vehicle it's in and say "Hi" to it and then carry on a little conversation if it seems to be friendly. :)