Ming the Chow Chow :)

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Faena
Rank 0
Rank 0

Ming the Chow Chow :)

Post by Faena »

So, besides my cry for help in the grooming area I thought I'd post a little intro with a picture of my Ming :)

She was the dog of my boyfriends mother, but sadly she passed away five years ago. She was then staying with my boyfriend and his father but let's just say they weren't equipped to take care of her properly.. She was lonely and definitely not brushed often enough so my mom and I decided to take her in :)

She's 11 years old and a pure bred chow, stubborn as they come, selectively deaf, getting a little blind and with hip dysplasia.. Oh the ailments of the elderly :)
Despite all that she loves taking walks and lying outside in our backyard, snoring like a champion. She's doing well with our other doggies and cat and picks her sleeping spots very carefully so we nearly trip over her :)

I will be posting and reading here a lot more, Mingie is sweet, old and quiet but at times still a total handful :)
Could use all the advice I can get and maybe I can even teach an old dog some new tricks.

Faéna

Edit: Ming was so deep asleep her face just drooped on the floor, as if it was pastry dough, it looked ridiculously cute. This picture is basically Ming catching me redhanded while I'm bothering her when she's sleeping. :D
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Ming the Chow Chow :)

Post by Fozzbear »

Typical loveable chow.
I'm glad she has company now - I bet she missed her original Mum and chows are very sociable (in a sort of un-sociable kind of way). They need to be with their family so glad she is settling down with her new one.
Faena
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Faena »

Definitely! My boyfriend obviously still sees her a lot and that makes her very happy. I always heard that chows typically bond with one person of the family, and the rest they just kind of tolerate, but she is actually very fond of every person in the household and is very social towards people, she always stops by and asks for cuddles with everyone! I do secretly wish I would've known her as a pup, my boyfriend says she always did the weirdest things and she was really playful, almost literally bouncing off the walls all the time, lol. That's a really odd image when I see that old lady shuffling around the house :)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

She is a beauty. And very lucky to have someone take her in and treat her with the respect she deserves...well done. Even at her age, she has a lot to give. Those spurts of energy are priceless. As is the mopey face when she is at rest.

She will miss her original family, but will appreciate he new one as well. You can see the wisdom in her eyes. Always love that in Chows.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Welcome! Ming is gorgeous! :)
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Just love her like you are, and continue to show mutual respect and you will continue to do a great job with her. She is a beautiful lady. Her original mum did a wonderful job of socializing her. Most Chows have fits of energy, we call them zoomies, as coined by Judy Fox, if memory serves. They literally zoom around like they are crazy. These little fits stop as suddenly as they start. Witnessing one would leave a person who has never seen them dumb-struck!
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Oh sweet Ming! She reminds me a lot of our Miss Kimba. I came into her life when she was about 10 and she HATED me. When my Joe and I got married and then joined households, she merely tolerated me, but it was when she lost her companion of several years, Rocky (a dutch long-haired shepherd) that she finally started to accept me. She got VERY quiet and withdrawn during her mourning period. Then I lost my job and started spending all day with her. It was a gradual transition and though she never "loved" me per se, she accepted me. We came to lean on each other and I was her walking buddy. When we lost her 06/2011, I was devastated. RIP sweet girl. You were loved well during your lifetime and brought me so much joy!!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

lol She def has that look on her face that she just caught you...love the expression :)
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Beautiful old girl - eyes full of knowledge. Bless her! :D [:D]
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Faena
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Faena »

Thanks for the warm welcomes :)

So today is the first "real" snow of the winter (Dutch winters are so inconsistent! Went from 15 degree Celsius to minus 5 in a weeks time) and I took a walk with my three doggies this morning.

My Spanish rescue dog (also an old lady, about 10 years old) was sprinting up and down the street and Ming tried to keep up with her and soon gave up. She loves the snow though, she was almost entirely white when we went back inside. I'll try to snap a picture of her next time she's being goofy in the snow :) definitely had a zoomie moment back there, haha.