General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

How much sleeping....

Post by Fozzbear »

....do your chows do?

Humphrey is awake-ish for most of the day and crashes out just after his dinner at 5 o'clock. But Fozz can sleep for most of the day. She needs a tickle to get her out of bed in the morning and then has a snooze after breakfast - she wakes up for back scritches, to look out of the window, chew the occassional treat and for her walk (when she can fly around like a thing possessed). Sometimes she can't even be bothered to go for a walk and just rolls on her back when it is time to go. She is very sneaky when it is time to go out for her evening pee - she scrunches her eyes up really tight and pretends to be asleep (this does not work as she is so pleased with herself that she wags her tail at the same time and gives the game away :D ). It is only light sleeping during the day, as she only snores (really loudly) in the evening.

Do I have a particularly lazy chow? Or is this part of why they have a reputation for being cat-like?
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: How much sleeping....

Post by bellachow »

Lol, mine are just as lazy when they are inside but as soon as mom or dad comes home the know its time to go outside. That's when the zoomies begin, for about 15min then they have to take a break. In the cool weather Chums lays in yard & Belle lays on the deck step and stand guard over their kingdom.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Chows are canines and canines are predators. Most predators are pretty lazy, moving mostly to find food, eat and go potty. Play is something they do rarely when food has been very plentiful or as a part of mating. Dogs are a little less like this because they have been bred to alert us to danger or trouble, but they still all spend a lot of time deep asleep, or dozing.

Firesong dozes almost all day, but when she hears something or anything is suspicious, she's right there barking her head off and getting the patio door filthy. Dreamdancer goes to bed at 8pm every night, so he can be up at sunrise barking and whinning at the squirels, rabbits and anything else he can see out the window. When I say he goes to bed, he goes in the bedroom, goes under my bed and falls into a coma! :wink: I have to make sure of where he is by looking for him when I go to bed, he won't answer to his name, he's snoring and dreaming.

Still there are zoomies before walkies and play time after potty time, so they get enough exercise, and of course they will walk as long as I walk them...and they have much more stamina than I do right now.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

My Chows, Max and Zeena nap ALL time. BUT, they are on patrol 24-7, all the time. They sleep with "one eye open." They hear EVERYTHING in the neighborhood, things I can't hear. There is NO doubt about the gaurdian thing they have going on. It's in their genes, big time. I've seen both my Chows snorting and spitting about something and I look outside and it's a cat walking down the street. HOW did they know?????????? The keen nose because cats make NO noise when they walk. When we had the lights out because of a electrical storm, Zeena was barking big time down the street from our front yard. You couldn't see anything, the street was jet black. But, she did. A guy was probably a block down the street and she SAW him. When he came up, he said, "GOOD watch dog." Yes, Chows are the best watch dogs in the world. The best. I'll argue with ANYBODY about that. So, yes, they sleep all the time with "ONE EYE OPEN". It keeps them ready day and NIGHT>
Gene
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Ty sleeps an awful lot, but I agree it's with one eye open unless he's in the deep sleep snoring stage. It takes a bit more to wake him up then. But he also spends a good chunk of his day looking out the window and watching the neighborhood for dangerous invading squirrels or rabbits. Still, he has lots of energy to go around when the time comes for it. We went to the dog park today, which I think we went a lot more last winter...ANYWAYS, he was zooming all over the place. It's not typical for a chow to lead the running dogs in a run. And he did. Several times over the hour and a half span we were there. I think they reserve the energy for when they are given a reason not to be sleeping.
rhemie14
Rank 0
Rank 0

How much sleeping....

Post by rhemie14 »

Same as my chowpup..all day,after his morning walk and breakfast,he go inside my room under my bed to snooze (except for a time when he's like a possessed pup running around the house..)
when he knows somebody or any member of my family is coming at the door,he instantly goes in front of it to look who is it..
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Matilda and Maisie love to sleep but they also like to do the chores with us. :lol:
They get up in the morning and are quite lively whilst they have their breakfast and then there are chores to be done - washing up, bed making, picking up their bundles outside, filling up the bird hoppers outside, hoovering up and so on. Then weather permitting, their walk. Then they have a sleep. Then when we have our lunch they have to help - I mean, I cannot possibly make a pot of tea without them. Then after lunch they will have another sleep. Then afternoon chores and so on. They snooze in the evening until bedtime treats then out to spend a penny and bed. That is when the snores start and proper sleep. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)