My Little Lilly

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: My Little Lilly

Post by Me & Tess »

I sure tired Lilly out yesterday. She was busy "cooking" with me. Since she had a sick tummy the day before, I made sure we went out frequently, not longer than 30 minutes, not shorter than 15 minutes. In and out checking on cooking, checking on Lilly. Her tummy was better, but it was still rice & kibble and rice and Brown Cow Yogurt. She usually takes a nap around 7:30 to get back up with me at 9 p.m. She went to bed at 6 p.m. but back up at 10. We went out around 11:30 for her last outing. Back to bed & she slept all through the night (a first in a long time). Lilly likes to get up to check on the field mouse population under our porch. She is obsessed. & it is getting cold! We are in for minus 0 temps and highs of 7 degrees F for this coming week. Maybe I can continue to tire her out often and get her back to sleeping thru the night! She really doesn't sleep much during the day. She takes little naps here and there. When we walk I like to make sure she is mentally stimulated. Even if it is giving a half hearted run towards the deer, (they almost ignore her now) barking after the squirrels high up in the trees or checking out what varmint inhabits a mound of rocks or old stumps, she needs that activity for her mind and body. Last night we heard large caliber gun shots. They resounded around the forest. It sounded like the gun shots were close. Lilly gave a bark and I shined the flash light in the direction I thought it was coming from. We stayed close to the cabin & didn't stay out too long.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I'm glad all is well. Poor Mike, he got the short end, but he is getting love from Lilly too. It will get better and better, but you are right, it is you who is Lilly's person. I wish Mike extra patience, he will be rewarded in the end.

I don't deviate with food for the pups here. Lily has dermatitis so I am careful not to give foods that will make her skin flare. Tannie (Montana), my daughter's 16 year old Australian Cattle Dog, has glommed onto me, but her breath and stinker's could strip paint. Then there is Dillon (AKA Big D, El Diablo, D'Lion, and my favorite Dilbo Bagginses) who can and will eat anything. A few nights ago one of the blondes had a rumbling stomach and I feared what might be next, but all was well. Every now and again, I allow a few kernels of popcorn. They line up and take turns...Lily is the only one who catches her morsel midair. Tannie gives a little jump when I toss it, but it is always ill-timed and precious. I bounce popcorn off Big D's face, and he looks for them when they hit the floor.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Our Lilly is growing up. She has been completely dependent on me. Wouldn't go out unless I went out with her; in the darkness of the evening (evening comes early in the north land), in the middle of the night, in the dawn of the morning. It has been really cold & I have to put layer upon layer on to go out with her. She wouldn't even go out with Mike. This morning she was laying at the foot of the bed watching Mike at the computer. I got up and she did a little whine, down the stairs & to the front door she went. I started to put my layers on, but Mike let her out and she went out without me. She spent a penny & back up the porch. Good girl! We had a celebration of sorts, she got cheese & a home made dog treat of almond butter & hugs & "good girl." I was busy cooking this afternoon and around 3pm I figured she had to go out - Mike opened the door and went out, she followed him. Adopting this little rescue chow has been a challenge. One of the things she is learning is self confidence & it is making her a stronger chow girl. She rarely wrinkles her little muzzle & accepts being groomed a little better. She still makes low growls when she doesn't want to be bothered. We went out this evening for her last walk. We usually stay out 20 minutes to a half hour. Sometimes we just sit & listen to the night sounds.

One of our neighbors lost their dog to a cougar. It was New Years Eve. Max was brining in parts of a dead deer home. He must have found the kill & the cougar was close. Our part of Montana is supposed to have the highest cougar count in the state. I know of two other dogs that have been "taken," both were small & one just had surgery and our neighbor let her out. Most dogs up here live to an old age. The cougars usually don't want to mess with a big dog. Lilly stays close to me when we do our walks and she doesn't venture into the woods without me.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I read mimis_dad's post and I hope he reads this & it helps. This last week Lilly lunged at Mike. He was rubbing her neck and got a little rough. Lilly turned on him and Mike pulled away quickly. She then went around the table and continued to growl and bark at him. There were lots of "No Lilly, No!" and she retreated in back of the infamous chair. I went in back of the chair and showed her the muzzle & talked softly to her. We have only used the muzzle a couple of times as "time outs" & she hates it. We were ALL upset. Mike was saying that he wasn't going to acknowledge her, give her treats, try to play with her, etc.. I cried in the shower, thinking how far we have come and to see Lilly lunge was disheartening. The next day Mike and I talked about what the catalyst was & where the responsibilities lied. Lilly doesn't really know how to play, although she will play with me outside now, but I play gentle with her. She doesn't like anything rough or loud. Mike went into the ignore Lilly mindset for a couple of days. When she was ready she did go to him for a pet, & then treats. For about four days Lilly couldn't digest her food and I was up with her at 3am on those nights. Trust must return, but with lessons learned and being watchful of a potential adverse reactions. Life in the cabin has returned to normal.

There is a difference between Lilly & mimis_dad's Chow boy. That family raised him from a puppy. Normal routines should return. Most Chows like routines & sense change. Chows live in the moment & perpetuating anger targeting the Chow & family members will not make the situation better. Chows are receptive to anger, mood changes & of course love.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Lilly & I went on our first walk of the morning. She likes to go over to the creek, but has been venturing north east across the creek. It's like the forest-prime-evil back there and makes me a little nervous. West side of creek safe, east side of creek wild. She jumped over a huge log (a downed tree from our big wind storm this past year), very agile for a little chow girl with short legs. I didn't follow her but tried to keep a close eye one her. As I walked south, I lost sight of her. All of a sudden Lilly jumped the log, was growling and barking, went past me a little ways and stopped and barked towards where she came from. She stayed pretty close to me & barked at stopping points. Not sure what critter she saw. She has no fear of deer, no fear of Moose, so I can only guess. Staying away from that area for a while. I was pleased that she just didn't run off and leave me. She is my good Lilly girl.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I haven't posted in a while about how Lilly is doing. To the point, great with caution. We are having our adventures. We still stay on out property for our walks. Winter was very cold & we had a lot of snow. That actually made it easier to walk amongst the fallen trees from Fall's big winds. Now, finally Spring is here and the beasties are returning.

On April 1st, Lilly & I took off towards our creek. We heard a strange loud deep growling/roaring sound coming from across the creek & up towards our southeastern boarder. Lilly & I took off on a fast walk back towards the cabin. Later that evening I took Lilly out & she started growling and barking towards the back of our cabin (north). I was carrying the flash light & directed the light towards the woods. I couldn’t see anything. Didn't stay out very long, but what ever it was it scared her. I am sure it was a boar bear, most likely a grizzly. Lilly usually pretty brave, we have had several close encounters with bears over the last year and a half. When I was taking my shower she slipped herself between the tub and commode & stayed there until I was finished with my shower. After I settled down for the evening I put an afghan on the sofa so Lilly could sit with me. She jumped up and got as close to me as she could & put her paws around my neck. Then she buried her face under my arm pit. Mike sat with us and she even cuddled into his chest. Lilly stayed on the sofa with me for about an hour. When she wasn’t cuddling she was panting heavily. This is the growling sound we heard without the huffing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YexQcXnVSzg
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Lilly stood on a rock at the head waters and watched a leaf float out of sight. She listened to the soothing sounds of the waters flowing over rocks and pebbles. She wanted to remember the Creek of Waters Ever Flowing and vowed that someday she would return. Lilly took a deep breath of the piney forest, and with a reluctant and a sad heart, Lilly joined her sisters. Lilly’s heart was left at the creek, the only place she had ever known that was safe.
Last edited by Me & Tess on Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rex343
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Rex343 »

Please tell me this doesn't mean what I think it means. I hope she is still with us for a very long time.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I started writing a children's book the second Christmas after Tess passed. I only visit it during Christmas time to work on it. I recently added Lilly to the book this Christmas & that is a quote from the story. I think the book is finished, but I am still editing it.

Not to worry Lilly is still with us. She has changed quite a bit. She is letting me groom her more, though it seems to be on her time. The nether regions are no longer off limits. I have her diet regulated (she was special needs for that) and even though food is still important to her it is no longer her only interest. She is much better when strangers come on our property, she does her growling barking routine, and then sits beside me, summing them up. I still don't trust her with children & I am not sure how she would react to another dog. Lilly still doesn't like to stay outside without me & that is OK because of where we live; on a wild life corridor. I worry more about her when we are walking/hiking together than I do when I hike alone. Her morning hugs are the equiv lent to humans having their morning coffee or tea. She must have them which determines her day & they must be long and full body enveloped. She stays up late at night with me now, no more going to bed promptly at 8 p.m. Sometimes I let her get up on the sofa to sit with me and we snuggle. Like Tess, she likes to tell me when I am staying up too late. She still doesn't like to ride in the car, maybe someday she will. She hates cars period! She picks when she likes Mike and when she doesn't like him so much. Seems now, she likes life a lot better. She plays more with me (& sometimes with Mike) and jumps & does her zoomies. She is no longer chasing the deer (very far). They seem to know she isn't going to hurt them. She still has her prey drive towards birds. She crouches down like a cat and tries to be swift and silent, but the birds don't take her seriously & spy her long before she makes her first move. & she can sit for long periods of time at the base of a tree barking at the fat little squirrels. They chipper away at her.

Yes, we now have a happier Lilly-girl.
Rex343
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Rex343 »

I'm so glad Lilly is doing fine. I was never good at interpreting poetry.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I am so glad Little Lilly is happy - and you. I love your descriptions in your writing - My girls know where the squirrels are on our walks and Tilly especially has to wait by one tree in particular to make sure there isn't a squirrel up there. If there is, they too will chatter down at her. :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Bump
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

You know, I haven't been on here for ages (out of "work" busy, not because I don't care about all of you), but it's always such a joy and inspiration to hear about Lily (and, Tess). For some reason, it always brings joy to my heart...
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Lilly is the sweetest. All our time and patience has made a big difference in her life. She is smart in the ways of the Chow. This summer I was freeing our creek from moss and debris. Lilly selected part of the creek for her's. It is a little tributary that has a moderate to slow flow. She would dig at it and get muddy. Sometimes when it was hot she would just lay in the creek. We had a couple of bear scars, but she handles it well and doesn't leave my side. It has been hard this winter with all the snow we've had. Mike made us paths and we were definitely tired of the monotony of the same paths. Now she can walk on the snow without getting stuck, I on the other hand sink into it. It is now open season on the quick little squirrels. She can stand under the tree for longest periods of time. She is selective of our walks, sometimes we stay out longer than a half hour, (four or five times a day, rain, shine, snow and wind) she likes to "listen" and scold all the other dogs that are barking. She loves to sit outside, me by her side listening to the night sounds. She loves her hugs. Lately when she gets up in the morning she goes over to Mike and lays by him. She enjoys walking as a pack along with Mike. It was so hard in the beginning, but we got over it. I knew I had to trust her and for her to feel my trust. She stays by my side constantly. If I am busy, she is busy following me around. She loves home. We have lent stability to her being. She is the best little girl, she is still developing a sense of humor & openly loves me to bits.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Thank you! For rescuing Lilly and for sharing her story with us. Tears of happiness as I read through your posts. I cannot wait to hear more as she enjoys her new family!
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I have not been on here for a while. Lovely to hear about Little Lilly and so glad she is a happy girl.
My Matilda and Maisie are such a joy to us and they keep us busy and it is so nice.
I have rheumatoid arthritis and it is getting more difficult to type now as my fingers won't always do what I want and it is so annoying. But there we go, I am not moaning!
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Lilly & I have been doing wonderfully. I haven't checked in for some time, we have been living on Facebook. I wrote this little story, which is true & wanted to share. I didn't know how I was going to write about her so this is the beginning of a new chapter in the life of my Little Lilly & me.

Once upon a time there was a little blond Chow who was very afraid of everyone. She would hide in special places that were safe. Sometimes she would come out of those places and follow her new mistress around the house, but she always went back into the shadows. Then one day, that took many days, months to get to, she started being one of the family. She sat in front of her mistress, she sometimes got on the sofa and cuddled, she especially love to sit in the kitchen while her mistress was cooking. Sometimes she even sat with her new master and received special cookies that her mistress made for her. Her wrinkly snarly nose was no more. She learned to trust and be one with her new family. Her mistress encouraged her to be sociable, at least within the family. Then one day her mistress was at the computer, spending more than a few minutes, surfing pages, checking on Facebook, looking up answers to questions she didn't know. This little little blond Chow protested, first by laying her head on her mistress' leg, then little growls came up from her being & turned into barks reminding her mistress to go down stairs, to be sociable, to be one with the family.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Poor Lilly hates to go on car/truck rides. Some unpleasant memories from the past I guess. Now she seems to enjoy it more, we have been "camping" as we call car/truck rides now. She hated the words; ride, load up & go for a ride. Her body tenses up when Mike picks her up to go in the truck. It was so special to take her for a hike in the wilderness this past week. Usually we hike around our property. I still dream of taking her on walks in town, but she isn't ready for that. Lilly has come along way from when we first adopted her; itsy bitsy steps, one day at a time.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

We have unleashed the beast! Lilly has learned how to bark & protest. I know that Chows are supposed to be quiet souls, but Lilly doesn't understand. She announces herself when we go out. She protests when Mike goes outside in the early morning hours. She barks at him when he talks to me in the morning before I get up. She barks at the owls that go whoo during the night. She barks at birds. She barks at the deer. She barks at the dogs in the valley that bark. She barks at the cars that dare to go up and down our road. She barks at the big winds, she barks at the thunder and lightening. I just let her bark, it is OK, we live in a wild life corridor so when she announces herself I know that we are safe.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

The recent rescue of Shandy from the Carson California shelter, made me think of my Lilly and how far we have come from that first night. For months Lilly acted like an autistic child, staring at the wall, not wanting interaction (she did follow me around) & hiding in the shadows. Her tail was down constantly. She was sad. The best I could do was giver her hugs as often as I could. She didn't know how to play. She didn't like sudden moves and that would send her back to the shadows. I remember posting that all I wanted was for her to be happy. It took time. The first year she didn't accept brushing, We got lots of growls. She was a growly girl. I cried many tears for at least the first six months or more for her. I was told that it would take a year or more for her to change. We had patience and we had time. Pretty soon her tail went up. She let me finally brush her. She loved my hugs. The biggest change came after almost two years. She is now happy. We talk to her and she has a waggy tail. She now wags her tail a lot. We do our walks around the property & little hikes. She gained self confidence. She understands directions both verbal and hand gestures, she even finds easier paths for me to follow. She has braved a few bears. She loves to run after the deer but they don't take her seriously. The squirrels torment her. She loves to garden with me, and sneaks a strawberry or two & she loves to pick blueberries. She loves to smell the flowers. On one our walks she was about 50 feet ahead of me and I found a calypso orchid, I called her "Lilly come see" and she came back to me, I showed her the orchid & she smelled and tasted it. We all hung in there for Lilly. She still has problems seeing other people, but does settle down. I think this is the best home for her out here in the wilderness. She loves to hear "Lilly's home."
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chow4life »

As I drink my coffee this morning, I have tears of joy for you and Lilly. Such an amazing journey for all of you. You and Mike are so special for hanging in there with Lilly. She hit the lottery when she found you both! Thanks for the updates I always enjoy them.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Lilly has turned into a bossy Chow Girl. She has come so far from being an anti-social autistic timid Chow. She reminds me when it is time to go to bed, that has been going on for some time. Lately she has been waking me up in the morning (not for a potty trip). Our bed is really high, she puts her front paws on the mattress, face peeking out between and stares at me. If the Chow Chow Vulcan mind meld doesn't wake me she starts whining until I wake up. Then when I wake up she goes in back of the bed so she can go back to sleep. If I don't get up she repeats the Chow Chow Vulcan mind meld and all that goes with it. Also, there is a time in the early evening that she insists that I spend with her. I can be on the sofa with Mike. She starts barking at me, together with a playful growl and other Chow sounds. It gets really funny, Mike joins in with her. I am happy that she has gained the confidence to act as she has been doing. She is indeed a family member.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I am continuing my story of My Little Lilly. Lilly passed away the late January. This will be a cautionary tale & a tale of love. There are many stories I want to share. This little girl was the braves of Chows, she was my constant companion. There are stories to come, not all at once, but only a little at a time. My heart breaks for my girl, even more than my heart broke for my Tess
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chow4life »

I am so glad you posted. I enjoyed your writing. I use to follow your stories about Lilly and thought about her often. Always wondering how she was doing.
I am so sorry to hear of her passing:( But I have no doubts she had the best home ever:) I look forward to reading your future stories of Lilly and now Ginny.
Again so glad you posted:)
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

It has been hard putting the words together with sadness I feel for losing Lilly, I will in time. I will write about the emotional connection we had. It was very deep. I still cry for her as I still cry for Tess. I think about the words and the tears come streaming down my face.