My Little Lilly

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: My Little Lilly

Post by Me & Tess »

It's snowing, Lilly is up here by my side. We've been taking walks without the leash. It makes me a bit nervous when we are on or dirt but snowy road and only have gone as far as our property line - when I want her to change directions I start running to the opposite direction yelling "come Lilly" & she gets the idea. Today she took a right turn into the forest and found a bunch of little birds to bother and bark at. They were on the lower branches of a pine tree. She gave a couple of barks, went rooting around the tree. After she was done with that she tried to get to me and got her self stuck between two fallen trees in deep snow. I had to show her the way to come out of the forest, the snow was deep for me too. Yesterday we were walking a trail close to our neighbors, she followed a scent & I lost site of her..... She came back on her own - must have gone out to the road and back up our driveway. I still have to go out with her at night, she won't leave the porch without me - I take a big flashlight but she disappears into the forest. After about five to ten minutes of me waving the flashlight around I go back to the cabin - she must keep watch where I am and shows up on the porch soon after. I am hoping by Spring she will stay close to my side - would like to take some good walks on the trails around here. This is all new to her, I am sure she was in a regular fenced back yard just like Tess was, but Lilly seems more like an inquisitive puppy. Her little ears move around constantly like antenna & she has to smell everything. This afternoon Mike met us at the driveway & we walked back to the cabin, Lilly between us. Lilly loves to do zoomies when we return from our walks & we all participate.

We are working on "Stay & Come." She already knows "Sit" - sit at the fridge and "they will give you cheese."

Lilly has relaxed so much. She loves to be hugged & just melts. I found that my forehead fits perfectly between her forehead and muzzle. She still follows me everywhere, but is giving herself more space. In the beginning, Lilly would go in the bathroom when I was taking a shower trying to get the shower curtain open, to just sitting by the tub, to sitting in the hall, then returning to Mike. Gentle patience, and a firm hand with Lilly has been the key. She is indeed, my sweet little Lilly.
Last edited by Me & Tess on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Love the update, thx for sharing!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Bless her,she is learning what love is really like and what having a home is. She is doing well. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I hold the light.

Can't wait until Spring comes. Between the hours of 7 pm & 8 pm, it might as well be midnight up here by the Canadian Boarder. Summer will even be better, the sun is out until 10 pm. Lilly loves to go out and prowl around in the evening, making a couple of walks thru the woods. I try to follow her the best I can. Sometimes I loose sight of her but I can still hear her. Lately she likes to sniff around the garage for little varmints. I follow her, holding the flash light, she goes around the garage twice; a habit she has acquired. She also started eating the snow like ice cream.

Lilly has relaxed even more. Rarely grumbles at Mike. She tries to scare off the evil vacuum cleaner & she can't get rid of the evil elliptical, it just sits there until some how by magic, Mike sits on it and everything moves. Lilly had to save me from that drat evil machine this morning.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Fear not! The brave little girl will protect you! You are a lucky lady! :lol:
Ihave a protector - my Maisie watches out for me all the time and guards me from all evil. I just love her. :D
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Silly Lilly

We went into town this morning to get a few things. Took Lilly with. She really doesn't like to get in the car, Mike lifts her up, but it's the "before." She senses when we start to get ready & hides behind "her" chair. Once we start the ride she is OK. I tell her we are going to get "treats." Made a couple of stops, grocery store & hardware store. The hardware store has the "treats." I bought a couple of breath chew bones & her brewers yeast wafers (that was the last bag on the shelf). She loves the wafers & gets one in the morning after she eats her first small bowl of kibble. I took the breath chew bone out of the wrapper and gave it to her & she just dropped it. So I put it by her chair, she picked it up and put it in the dinning room, then I picked it up again and put it by her chair, again she took it away to the dining room. I put it back by her chair & she decided to put it on a little rug we have to put our boots on, but this time she nibbled on it...... Then she took it into the kitchen and nibbled on it there - left it on the floor so I put it on her rug where she has her water & food. She took it back off. I put it back and it's still there, one quarter of it gone. I guess she doesn't like to eat where she sleeps, she made that perfectly clear, dinning room or kitchen that's where we eat!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Well - she is teaching you how a well behaved family should eat! :lol: \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Feeding Lilly.

Lilly is a "chow hound." Her previous owners gave her home made foods - they most likely fed her at the table too. I have added a good natural salmon & sweet potato kibble to her diet. With her meals she gets little goodies like organic chicken, less than 1/4 cup, wild salmon, a small can can last 3 meals, also kokanee salmon, little bites. Lilly gets one soft boiled whole egg once a week & cooked egg white when I add a raw egg yolk to my smoothies. For "dessert" she gets one tablespoon of Brown Cow plain yogurt. She gets her main meal at 3 pm so she will be happy enough and won't beg at the table. I am looking at natual foods for dogs that I can dehydrate (the cheese snacks have to go). Mike and I watch what we eat. I try to buy good organic & natural foods. Lilly deserves the best that we can do for her.

On Lilly's Pet Finder site, she was reported as weighing 30 lbs. When we first got her, I could really feel her ribs & I thought that she was way too thin. I can still feel her ribs and she weighed in at 39.6 lbs last week. Mike looked at her today and said she doesn't look so little anymore.

The last couple of day have been warm & we have spent lots of time outside. Still can't wait for Spring & Summer. Lilly will love our clearing alive with green grass & wild flowers. Yesterday when we were walking on the trail to the creek, Lilly rolled in the snow, leaving her scent.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

My Lilly is a silly little Chow girl. We left her alone for the first time last week for about an hour – went into our town to do a little shopping & we had a package coming in from UPS (Mike picks the packages up in town so that our UPS man doesn’t have to come up our icy road). Got home & Lilly was angry at both of us. She was grumbling and growling at us & turned her back to us & faced the wall. This went on until late afternoon until I took her out - she loves to run in the woods & her attention went to a squirrel & she forgot about being mad at us. She is only five years old and she acts like a typical teenager. Her previous owners didn’t teach her very much. I am trying to figure how to teach her how to lay down... she “sits” & “stays” only when we give her a little piece of cheese. She took off from me about two weeks ago & wouldn’t listen – headed down to the county road. I tried carrying her back but she is heavy – “they” said she was a small chow only, 30 lbs. – but she now weighs 39.6 lbs.! Our neighbors were plowing the road and gave me a bungee cord to bring her back home. I think if I just ignored her & walked back home she would have followed, but I panicked. She does stay glued to my side in the house & helps me with the cooking, cleaning, etc.. We have a short trip into town tomorrow & will leave her at home again. This time we are prepared for her anger.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh Dear! She is feeling hger feet enough to sulk! Funny little Lilly! :lol:
You are in for it tomorrow. :roll:
karenmarie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by karenmarie »

Glad to hear all is going well. Lucky Lilly, sounds as though she has found her perfect home. The adventure she insisted you take down the road, was probably her idea of a needed travel together ( instead of that pesky vehicle you and Mike like). Lets just ramble Mom!!!! I love reading your journal entries here and look forward to catching up when I find time. I journal daily as it has been a five generation family tradition. The journals in my family pass down (yes all of them) to the children that have interest in reading them. Sometimes they are stored for a few years then travel to a new home. I love that you share yours here. Thank you again!! Cheers, to new adventures, everyday is a blessing. So happy for all of you!
Bella & Balou
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

We decided not to leave Lilly alone on Monday. She didn't want to eat in the morning and just decided to come upstairs where I was still sleeping and go back to sleep. Mike feeds her first thing in the morning around 5 a.m. Turned out she was OK, but we didn't want to stress her "just in case." I pulled her food at 9 am & went by our usual schedule.

I am a little gun shy from her leaving me and going to the county road. I really don't think I need to worry - but. We've been walking "in the woods" lately. We are loosing our snow, I am hoping for an early spring. We walked the east side this afternoon and she disappeared & I could hear her barking. Last time I saw her she was heading south. I was a little worried since our neighbor has a couple of spaniels & I was told Lilly didn't like other dogs. I kept calling her name, and said "I am going home." When I came out of the woods, she came out soon after from the north east. She must have half circled in back of me. Then we went to our west portion & we kept in eye of each other. When we came out of the woods she went to the back of the garage & I went to the front. Our Trooper was parked in front so she couldn't see me & she gave a little wine.

This morning Mike was looking for the best dry food for Lilly. We have narrowed it down to Blue Buffalo or Solid Gold.... several varieties.

Lilly still grumbles at Mike. Mike understands the breed. It is a grumble/love situation between them - Lilly does the grumbling. Mike is tall, wears the scary big boots, makes loud noises and fast moves. I shoved a pair of Mike's sneakers under the chair where Lilly likes to lay behind to get used to his scent. That didn't work, she didn't like the sneakers & took up laying some place else. I removed the sneakers.

I call Lilly a real diva. I think she is a little spoiled. But she is my sweetheart. My little Christmas miracle. She will learn in time.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Little Lilly is just taking her training of you gently - she will get you to just how she wants you! :lol:
As for Mike's trainers - she is a Chow lady - does not need to sleep by "big man trainers"! I mean to say...............................!! :roll:
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Oh, I think Lilly has me where she wants me. I couldn't get to sleep last night until around 2 am. From about 10 pm to 2 am she was laying beside me and I was petting her. She went thru a few bad dreams & I soothed her little soul. She is the softest little thing.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

We did our big shopping for the month. Lilly hates the leash - I guess we should forego it & Mike should just carry her to the car, lol. 120 plus miles round trip, Whitefisth & Kalispel - Petco - Super 1- Wal Mart & Costco. Coming back she edged herself into the front seat & finally on to my lap. She is barely a lap dog, but I was fine with her sitting on me. She loves to be held. She really should have stayed on the backseat but I am a push-over. What can I say.
Stella
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Stella »

Thank you for all the wonderful Lilly stories, I smile, tear up with joy and love that I found this thread.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Hee! Hee! :lol: :lol:
Told you - she has your training well in hand and progressing nicely!
Enjoy! I am so happy for you. :D \:D/
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

We did it! Mike, me & Lilly walked up our dirt/snow road this afternoon; Lilly out in front! Lilly did great, kept looking back to make sure we where we were going. We went almost to the end of our road. She did take some time to sniff around but she did zoomies back to us. When we got back she still wanted to walk, so we went down to the creek..... Lilly lost site of me & I heard her tags & jade clinking together - I turned back and just saw her little butt making headway back to the cabin. She lost site of me! Mike let her in & she was going from room to room trying to find me. Wouldn't have anything to do with Mike and wouldn't listen to him saying "mom's still out." Poor little girl. Mike said there is nothing to worry about Lilly walking with me - we are attached to the hip - or feet to feet. I am looking forward to longer days. I love walking in the evening when the shadows are long. I must have faith in Lilly, we have bonded tightly, she is my walking companion. I have a friend that will be a bit more free in the summer (she is an art teacher one of our rural schools). We can hike a trail directly to her house, a little more than a mile away; to the end of our road then thru a neighbor's 40 acres then thru Forest Service land, another 40 acres. Usually we meet somewhere in the middle. It's a beautiful gentle hike. Next winter I have great expectations; Lilly walking by my side while I do a little snowshoeing. I missed snowshoeing this year, my attention went to Lilly & I walking in our forest. Lots of trails out there, and there are creeks & ponds, small lakes in our area, so much water available for a little Chow girl to drink. I will still take water though, always did with my Tess. But Tess was an old girl when we settled here & I dared not go too far with her. I was always so careful with my Tess & will be so careful with my Lilly.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Bless her little heart - she has found secure love and that is lovely. :D
She will get to love Mike in time - at the moment I guess she is sticking with who she feels is safe and loves her - Mike is going to have to wait a while.
When our Maisie arrived here with us, she was just 5 months old. Matilda and she are litter sisters and we got Matilda when they were 8 weeks old. When their breeder brought Maisie down to us she brought one of her otheer dogs too and they came in. The dogs explored the garden - Tilly and Maisie recognised each other and cried and licked each other but then after we had had a cup of tea and a sandwich their breeder then putd the other dog in her car and off she went - from Maisie's point of view - I suppose - just dumping her here with us.
Maisie was shocked and I cuddled her and talked to her and she responded and would not leave my side - but she hated Fred. Every time he moved she growled and leaned up against my legs tight, as near as she could get. Fred just ignored her very existence and just got on with what he was doing and talked to Matilda and petted her and so on. After about three weeks, Maisie stopped growling at him and started to watch him and follow him, at a distance and eventually, she realised she liked him and it was only when she went to him that he talked to her. Now she absolutely adores him and he her.
Funny girls.
L:ittle Lilly is indeed a lucky chow girl to have landed with you and Mike and a beautiful place to live and roam. :D
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

I agree with Judy, Lilly will warm up to Mike, it'll just take some time. When I brought Cocoa home as a pup she would have absolutely nothing to do with my son (who still lived at home then) for the first few weeks, she stuck to me like glue. She warmed up to him slowly and fast forward to now and I'm jealous of the greetings he gets from her now when he comes to visit, she just gets so excited to see him.
I am just loving reading about you and Lilly, so sweet that she won't let you out of her sight.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

To Judy Fox, even across the pond and then some we would be best friends. Lilly is a love. She will take treats from Mike. It will take time, thank God she loves me & I love her. She begs from Mike at the table - he has succumbed to her begs - lol - I say no, no, no.

Lilly is learning some sign language. Sit - stay - come - then treat. I am still trying to teach her "lay" - I just want the basics. To those who are not teaching thier Chows the "basics" it really is wrong. I know my Lilly is smart, and it was not in her interest to deny Lilly her training.

There was a picture of fluffy Chow pups recently & this is what I posted: They are adorable. Trouble is that so many people see them as adorable fluff balls but are not prepared to take the breed when the fluff balls grow up. They can be a handful & are dropped off at shelters/kill shelters when they demonstrate the strong Chow behaviors. Both Lilly & Tess were abandoned by their previous owners - Tess a big girl was aggressive but became the best family Chow girl. Lilly was given up as a rescue & she can be a cranky little diva! Lilly has lots of learning to do. She still seems like a puppy in so many ways.

I love my Little Lilly. In the beginning I felt discouraged by her stand-off Chow behavior, but I hung in there. I knew the breed only by Tess. I knew not to give up on Lilly. We have years ahead of us. I love to give her big hugs - she love the big hugs back. I feel so very contented when I stroke her fur. She can give me hours of her time. As long as she needs to stay close to me, I will be there for her.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

In between NASCAR & the Oscars. Mike says I've spoiled Lilly. She won't go out without me! Which has been the way it's been since we first got her. At first it was with the leash - out in the woods all hours of the day and until 8 pm - the last time to go out. Now she waits on me in the morning until I get up. I open the door and yell "to the woods, to the woods." She runs to the woods. We have 1.5 acreas of clearing and 18.5 of woods. During the day, Lilly follows me around in the house, but when we go out it's me following Lilly, just to make sure she is ok. She keeps an eye on me, even though at times I can't see her. When I start back to to "go home" she is not far behind & whizzes past me. Lilly does good as a pack member when Mike & I go for a walk. She has left me when I have tried to walk the road with her. She finds her self back at the cabin, making Mike worry, giving him (Lassy where's mom?) scary moments. We are working on the Lilly & me hikes.

Lilly likes to "argue" with Mike. Sometimes she sounds like an Ewok. You would think that she could talk. The tone of her voice is almost human, accompanied with sighs, grunts, little growls & barks. Of course Mike encourages it and that is their relationship. If Lilly doesn't like his boots, there is an argument, if he is wearing his heavy coat there is an argument, if he appears too big there is an argument (he is 6'2"). She plays him at the dinner table, there is an argument.

Lilly loves to eat. I am not sure why her "former owner" said she had a problem with food. Of course she gets the best. Lilly isn't so little any more.

I am looking forward to the Oscars tonight. I have been living in jeans & sweaters since we got Lilly - ready to go out (at a moments notice) at night. It seems sometimes I am raising another child. Tonight I am going to get dressed up, put on some make-up & enjoy a great night. I am sure that I will have to still dorn my jeans to take Lilly out somewhere around 8 pm to 9 pm. We do have an almost full moon & stars, if only we will have clear skies tonight.

Love my Lilly girl.Image
Last edited by Me & Tess on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Our last outing for the night. Lilly has been digging thru the snow to get to China. She hears and smells everything, critters under the snow. She does a little fox jump, digs and buries her head up to her neck into the snow. We went back to the porch, I sat on the lowest step, Lilly by my side. We were listening to the night sounds for quite a while. Arlie's hounds were howling; there was an owl hooting to the south west. Very peaceful for both of us. I feel so fortunate that we rescued Lilly. I know I have relaxed quite a bit. I can see it by the pictures Mike takes, my face looks softer. Lilly surprises us every day. I can remember familiar traits that Tess had & Lilly shows them too. She is a different little girl in her own right. She is so sweet. She loves to smell my face and hair. She can do this several times a day. She wags her tail when she wants something, together with the Vulcan Chow Chow mind meld & I really know what she wants depending on the time of day. We've been taking walks on our dirt/snow road. She stays pretty close. Yesterday Lilly was so happy she just had to take a roll in the snow. It was like, "see mom I CAN do it." She has been playing games with Mike, sometimes zoomies, sometimes "run around mom." My little girl has a sense of humor.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Lovely picture - you both look so happy. :D And so at ease - she is certainly a lovely little chow girl. :D
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Lilly is a beautiful chow girl, and as Judy said, lovely picture. How can you not look happy with a chow in your lap?