My Little Lilly

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Re: My Little Lilly

Post by Judy Fox »

How wonderful! \:D/
I love zoomies and Little Lilly must be happy to start zoomies.
Victory is right - My Milly and Mabel were smaller but they had big chow hearts. Fiesty little baggages, they were. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Lilly growls & barks more than Tess ever did. Sometimes you have to make mighty noise when you are small. Lilly is a perfect size for me as I am only 4'10". This morning we had freezing ice come down instead of the fluffy white stuff. I got dressed all warm and let her out this morning. I did stay on the porch while she did some running. Then went down to the landing so she would know it was time to go in. Last night we went out at 8 p.m. I was calling her to "go in the house" & she just kept trotting down the driveway. I said "OK Lilly I am "going in the house", she turned and came running back.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Wonderful pictures - I am so happy for you. :D
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

She looks wonderful, and happy. You look good together. It is so great to see this and read about it. I'm with Wokman, this is like an old time Christmas story.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

I love the zoomie picture. Lilly seems very happy with the snow and most important a wonderful momma parent that is spending her days with her. I think Lilly knows she's got a good thing going on.:D
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

How very wonderful for you all!!! I have always admired and enjoyed the stories about you and your Tess, always thought there was a bond that would, somehow, go on forever. Now, with Lilly, you have a new bond to make, never replacing or severing the old, just adding to it. Congratulations to you both...
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Lilly looks like shes having the time of her life.. Who wouldn't from the pictures it looks wonderful where you are. Okay Iam not much into snow but if you are going to have it might as well have it where everyone knows what to do with it.. and are prepared better..Lilly reminds me of my late Nikki zooming.. What a wonderful site to see. I so get the size thing with your height .. I have an inch on you and my golden is all I can handle when she decides to run after a leaf.. LOL.. Love your story and its just what the dr. prescribed.. Iam feeling better already..
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

You know she's happy if she's doing zoomies! And why wouldn't she, what a perfect place for a chow, Lilly must feel like she's in heaven. I'm with Nancy on the snow, we don't get much of it here and no one is ever prepared for it. I do enjoy watching Cocoa play in it when we get it though, she burrows, rolls, pounces on it and it just makes me laugh. :lol:
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Lilly & the Big Winds

For the last four years we have had big wind storms. We've lost over 75 trees during that time period. The "old timers" say this is new and can't remember anything like it. You can tell by our forest that nothing like this has happened in the last 110 years or so. Last night we had big winds and big gusts of wind. Lilly was growling & barking to tell it to keep away. She'd stare at the door and put her self on guard. Around 8 pm it was time for Lilly to go out. She does the shake-shake. I got ready, putting on lots of layers of clothing. Lilly was dancing around in circles to let me know to hurry up. We went out the door & walked quickly down the stairs to the landing. The wind really frightened Lilly, she started running this way and that. It scared me too. Our flags were flapping in the gusts making a loud noise, adding to the sound of the tin over our rain barrel which was weighted down with rocks & snow. Our rain chain was slapping our porch railings. The wind was howling thru the trees. I keep the leash in my coat pocket just in case. I crouched down for Lilly to come to me & she ran to my side. I hugged her and attached the leash to her collar. I took her too her "place." Then we ran to the cabin! We were safe inside! Lilly let me know she wanted to go up to the loft; one foot on the first stair and the Chow Chow Vulcan mind meld! We went up and I began to pet her, pretty soon she laid on her back making funny little noises & I started rubbing her belly. She fell into a deep sleep! I was almost worried about her she was so still, as I did with my children in the middle of the night when they were little, I put me face to her face to feel her breath. We survived the big winds!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I so adore your writing. I am a Creative Writing and English major so I think I know of what I speak when I say your writing is so original, poetic and moving. It is from the heart but with a deep understanding of the universe and how creatures interact.

It is such an honor and privilge to read about you and Tess and now you and Lily.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Victory
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

I second that.
That is why I asked you not to close down your Tess and Me thread.
But to start reading your Little Lilly thread is lovely. :D
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

My Tess stories were written when my heart was breaking. Those were the memories of a Chow girl that showed up to be my sweet angel. The emotions were raw emotions & you learned to know me because of what I wrote. I will always have a pain in my total being when I think of her. Tess was an old soul when she came to us, no matter how young she was. We were so connected from the very beginning.

I tried to think how I could put Lilly's story together. I have to be in the now. Yesterday was an adventure for us. Lilly has a different story. I only wish I knew what she went thru to be who she is. Lilly has a lot of growing to do. At five years old, she still seems like a puppy. Sometimes she is so brave then another time she goes for the corner to hide. She does love me. Goes everywhere I go. She even guards me when I am in the shower, sitting by the tub looking towards the hallway.

I see so many negative stories; of young people taking on "owning" a Chow Chow, not knowing anything about the breed. Maybe I can show some positive sides to rescuing my Lilly. The first three days were hard. I had second thoughts. This was a girl that cowered in a corner, the only thing important to her was something to eat. It's been two weeks & she has change 100 times over. She sometimes shows a sense of humor but needs to learn how to relax into it.

Lilly & I are bonding. It wasn't her idea (like it was Tess'). Lilly was thrown into the mix. She will learn in time that this life she landed in is a wonderful one.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes, I understand exactly what you mean and I see there are two absolutely different stories here so I understand why you said you would not be posting on the Me and Tess thread.
Little Lilly is a lucky girl and your emotions are all hope and anticipation. I am so glad you found her and took her home. I look forward to reading the lovely stories.
I will go and read the Tess thread right through for a last time then read along your journey with Little Lilly. :) [:D]
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

You have been so kind to share your love for Tess here and now you can tell us about Lilly. :)
lweiher
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lweiher »

I've been reading your story about Lilly and it brings to mind my last chow that we rescued when she was supposedly 3-5 years old, turns out she was older so we only had her for 4 years. We named her Claire and she was timid at first then she fully "owned" us! Not knowing the past is the hardest part of a rescue in my opinion...but what I do know is that the last 4 years of her life....before she lost her battle to cancer were filled with love and lots of good food! I think Lilly has it good and she is figuring it out quickly! I am SO going to use your line about the Vulcan Mind control thing....that sums up the chow 'tude perfectly! Thanks for your story! God Bless you and Lilly! The good part to my story is we now have a 14 weeks old chow named Lily also! She is a bundle of joy and a handful at the same time and I wouldn't have it any other way!
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Almost a meltdown.

Poor little Lilly, she started growling and barking at Mike today. We double teamed her, telling her no, no growl, no bark. Mike went outside and I found Lilly in the corner, head down to the floor. I felt so bad for her. After a while I got her spirits up. She is now sitting by my side. I don't know what else I could have done. It brakes my heart to see her sad.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Of course it won't be perfect. Mike needs to ignore her when she does this. Maybe have a few pieces of duck jerky in his pocket when he enters the room and if she does not react, treat! If she reacts, sit and not look at her. When she stops, treat! You are dealing with behaviors from her old life. Patience is the key...and treats.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

I agree with Audrey. Mike should just ignore her.
When we brought Matilda home she and her two litter sisters were just 8 weeks old. When they were exactly 5 months old I was talking to the breeder and she told me she needed to find a home for Maisie so she came to live with us. She immediately got to love me but she absolutely hated Fred and would growl everytime he moved and would run away from him and hide.
He just totally ignored her existence and just interacted with Matilda and carried on as if Maisie wasn't there. Gradually, she went to him and he just said "Hello Maisie" and left it at that. Then she kept going to him and gradually he petted her and then she found out she loved him and now she absolutely adores him, like Tilly does. Their Daddy is the best thing ever! :D
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

It's been three days after the almost melt down. As Lilly laid on the floor in the corner, like a little California golden bear rug, completely deflated, our hearts ached for her. She was OK about an hour later. She has never growled or barked at Mike since. Some behaviors can't be tolerated and that was one. I have to go with my instincts & set the rules. Mike is the first one up in the morning and gives her some kibble and a brewer's yeast cookie. I woke up this morning and saw Lilly sitting with Mike at the computer. Lilly changes every day. In some instances she is so brave and in another instance she is skittish. We are working to give her the confidence she so needs. She loves full body hugs, just melts in my arms.

I never saw such a Chow girl with so much energy, she either runs or jogs when she is outside. She gets to go outside at will. In the dark of the evening I go out with her, she disappears out of my sight while I hold the flashlight. When I go to the porch, I stomp on the steps & here comes Lilly-put out of the darkness (she doesn't go very far), runs up the stairs and into the house. I keep constant vocal contact with her. I put a "forever links" jade amulet on her collar, and it makes a tinkling sound against her address tag.

Lilly trusts me completely. I felt that trust was the most important thing that she needed to establish with me. She needs to establish trust with Mike too. He is very patient with her. I am not sure how she spent her days in her other life, even if there was a male in her life. I think she was probably left alone a good part of the day. We are together 24/7 here. That's 24/7 for all of us.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes, you have to go with your instinct - it is the way it works and it is working with you. :D I am so happy with you and Little Lilly is a lucky little girl - she must feel so happy inside to be with you both. :D
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Lilly is a sweet little Chow girl. Today we all spent most of the day outside! We have sunshine! First sunshiny day in months. I even got Lilly to play with me. I ran after her then she ran after me. We hung in the garage with Mike. Lilly relaxed for as long as she could. She is a busy little Chow girl. I know she is changing with each day.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Really happy for you to read about how Lilly and you are bonding quite beautifully as the days go by. She is turning up nicely.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I am so happy for you!! I haven't been here in a long time, but remembered your stories of Tess and the heartbreak you felt when she left you. Lilly is beautiful!!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Lilly is my sweet heart. She has taken a few steps backwards but she has taken more steps forwards. She is a love. Lilly had decided that she needs me to go out with her. This morning we went towards the creek & she looked back at me a couple of times and disappeared to the north. I can't keep up with her. I went back to the cabin & I stomped on the stairs. She was close behind. She runs like a jet towards the deer but like Tess she only goes so far - then she comes back and the deer return. She is a love. We have to go into town this week - 60 miles one way and decided to take her with.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

She is beautiful ... and look at 'that smile', while running. She is absolutely precious. Look forward to more stories!