Looking for a healthy chow puppy

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Quynh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Looking for a healthy chow puppy

Post by Quynh »

Hi all! I'm looking to get a chow puppy around June of 2013 but I am confused about all of the different things I've been researching. If you could help me out by giving me a breakdown of what I should be looking for (like certain testing on the parents?) when buying a chow puppy, I would very much appreciate it. I've also heard great things about adopting/ rescuing chow puppies, but in this case how would you know if your chow is susceptible to injuries or diseases?

I am located in Pennsylvania, but would be willing to travel to MD, NJ, DE, VA, and other surrounding states. I will also be traveling to southern CA in June, so I could bring a puppy from there home as well. Please let me know if you recommend any breeders!
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Looking for a healthy chow puppy

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

Just find a reputable breeder, find out when puppies will be available, visit the kennel, check out the parents.
Make sure the place is clean and get references from people who have purchased from them before. There is nothing better than to sit amongst a bunch of puppies and find the one you want.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

First there are no 100% guarntees about health and disease no matter if your chow is from a good breeder or a rescue. I have two chows right now both from a rescue, my girl who I adobted at around 1year old will be 12 in February, she is active, healthy and alert. My boy who was 8 weeks old when I adopted him, will be 7 next July. (wow I can't believe that one) Good genes are part of the picture, but genes are also a toss up, there are few if any genetic tests for cancers for instance and many canines pass from cancer.

There are tests for dysplasia, (hip and elbow) thyroid issues, and heart issues. And these should be run on parents, grandparents and great grand parents if possible. Also a good breeder will have the results of these tests on hand and be willing to give you the numbers, so you will need to do your research to understand those numbers.

I highly recommend that if you are going to spend the money on a chow puppy from a breeder that you learn the numbers and learn the tests and be ready to ask about them from any breeder you might buy from. Also do not under any circumstances buy a puppy sight unseen from a website. They can send you all kinds of pictures, but seeing the pup and parents in the flesh is much more better. One reason is that is the ONLY way to make sure it is a legit breeder who cares and not a puppy mill. Many AKC puppies come from puppy mills, many have websites, but they don't invite on site visits. As Michael's Maggie May said, visit the breeder, check out the parents, check out the environment, get a list of others who have bought puppies from them. Contact those people, ask questions about health, temperment etc. Stay away from breeders who say that a certain color is rare and more expensive.

Like I said there are no guarantees, especially with rescues. But Chow Rescue of Centeral NY has two pregnant chows right now, and even the father, you can look at them on their websiht and also ask about them, let them know you are interested in the puppies. they get a take in a lot of chows from different places, they took in all those in GA form a breeder, so they often have puppies.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

I agree with ALL the above comments. Having been "accepted" by an adult chow and having been blessed with two chow-brothers at nine weeks old ... BOTH experiences have been pleasant and precious ones. The only thing I will add to what Michael said is this ... sitting among a bunch of puppies and having ONE PICK YOU (cause isn't that really how it goes? [ no offence meant]) is a joy beyond expression. The same can be said if you visit a rescue group to see who will come to you or whose lovely chow-eyes will blossom your heart.

That being said, my heart just ACHES for the beauties that have recently been rescued by Chow Rescue of Central NY and it does flips when I read a report of an adoption!!! Joe and I have seriously thought about adding another to our brood should the right rescue become available in our area. But don't let THAT stop you!! Many of the rescue groups out there have transportation (even volunteers who will assist).
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Yes, beware of false promises or not getting the whole story. A month ago I adopted a middle aged Chow and was so focused on her getting along with my other two that I neglected to ask for health records. I almost did not adopt her, leaving her behind but returned the next day with the encouragement of a Chow Rescue person who knew of her.
In some ways I'am glad I did not see the Veterinarian health report since her then current dental disease could be treated, though the cost was expensive, for someone else it may have caused her to be returned. So no matter how much research and asking all the right questions have an emergency fund for the unexpected, since you will want to do anything to help your fur ball if the need arises. Pet health insurance can help, but can be confusing and tricky to find the one that is right for you. Your Veterinarian may offer a plan from one of the many companies, but ask yourself it is good for me or good for the Veterinarian. Just the thoughts of a skeptical Chow Chow owner. @-)
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

You are doing it right by waiting to find out the do's and don't about buying a chow puppy. Most people who are in the market for a puppy will buy the first one they see. As others have said there is no guarantees with health. If so then what should you look for? Experience breeder and temperament of their chow is what you should look for. We bought our Brutus and show him and have met some wonderful breeders and found out they all know each other because it's a small group of people that have done it a very long time. You can find most of them on Chow Chow Club Inc in the directory listed by states or last name. Most of them don't have web pages but their facebook pages are open for anyone to find out about them, their dogs and friends. Most of their friends are chow people too. One person you could contact that lives by you is:

Leonzio, Lisa M. and Michael C.

Fair Hill Chows
Fair Hill MD
USA
Tel: 410-392-5430
Cell Phone: 302-593-0541
They own the chow that was best of breed at the dog show on Thanksgivings day. They are well respected in the chow world and would be a great start. If they can't help you they will be able to tell you who will.

Good luck,

Brutus