separation anxiety

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

yatta5000
Rank 0
Rank 0

separation anxiety

Post by yatta5000 »

Hello, I have a 8 month old chow that loves to play. He have no problem going outside when someone is there with him but comes to the door and barks if no one is there with him. He'll go out and do his business by himself but then comes back to the door and barks when he's done. Even when another dog is outside with him he comes to the door and barks still. its only when a person is there that he does and explore the yard and play.

Any advice to allow him to enjoy himself more out there??

Thanks
Last edited by yatta5000 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: separation anxiety

Post by Tippsy'smom »

As far as I know, there's nothing that's gonna change that. He wants to be with his people, not alone. My dogs are the same.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Yep. What Tippy'sMom said. He is bored, and wants to know what you are up to. It is a very normal chow trait. It may relax a little as he matures, the males can become stand offish and more independent, but not so much that they will spend a long time without checking up and in with you. They like being with their packs, (you and your family) not by themselves.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

To add to what Tippsy and Victory said, because they are spot on...Chows are not 'dog dogs'. Most of the time they do not care about other dogs. They think they are people and want to be around you. Call it nosey or whatever, but they are very concerned that they will miss something with their family out of view.

You should recognize that he is doing exactly what he is trained to do. He goes outside, with some privacy, to do his business. When he is done, he wants back in and is telling you that with his bark. Break it up a bit, and dont let him back in, but switch out to a walking collar and lead. He will explore with you in tow (most likely quite literally). Get him used to the whole neighborhood and get him some exercise at the same time. If he ever gets loose without you there, it will be very helpful for him to know the area.

Before letting him back in throw a stick to the fence. Let him chase it down and encourage him to bring it back. Chows are very finicky with toys, but most still love a good stick toss. Encourage him to run circles around you. He may even start to jump up a bit. Play with him, but set boundaries (don't allow him to nip when he is zooming).
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Every morning when I come downstairs, Malachi, who is outside with all the other dogs, comes up to the French doors and barks at me. I wave to let him know I heard him. First order of business is for me to get my cup of coffee, so he has to wait. I will put the coffee on the table with the newspaper, and then walk over to the door. If he doesn't look at me, I will tap on the window and point at my eye, then give him a hand signal to sit. Once he sits, I will reach for the door knob and start to open the door. If he gets up, I stop and wait for him to sit. If Ursa comes up, she has to sit too. I hand signal "wait", and they have to sit and wait until I get the door open, then I acknowledge them and they can come in. Malachi will lay down by my chair, and Ursa will rush to the kitchen to see if anything was dropped on the floor and to drink from the fountain. Somehow indoor water is better than outdoor water. Ursa finds that the newspaper is booooooring, and will stare out the French door. She wants to go to the corner of the fence next to the road where she can watch for the garbage truck or UPS truck or anything that might come down the road. We do the sit and wait, and she heads out to watch. Malachi will do his bear rug impersonation until I fold up the paper and take the coffee cup to the kitchen sink. Then he heads to the back door, not the French door, and go out into the yard.
yatta5000
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yatta5000 »

I'd like to say thanks to Tippy’smom, victory, Rory’s Dad, and Ursa’s daddy i enjoyed your story. I've thought that I'd somehow spoiled my boy and now he didn't want to leave my side. But thanks to you guys i know a little more about the breed and have a better understanding. Thanks