General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

beckysmyth92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is 7weeks too young to buy a chow?

Post by beckysmyth92 »

Hello fellow chow owners!

I have been hunting for a new chow chow to love and care for. I finally found a Kennel Club breeder who has a blue male available in January! She has informed me he will be 7 weeks old then, When I got my girl she was 11 weeks old and I was just wondering is 7 weeks too young to purchase a puppy?

Many thanks for all responses :)
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Is 7weeks too young to buy a chow?

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Yes! Puppies NEED to stay with their mother and siblings until at LEAST 8 weeks old. I'd personally prefer to wait until 10 weeks.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
beckysmyth92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by beckysmyth92 »

Thank you very much for your response :)

I thought that was really young so I HAD to ask on here. I will just continue searching for a different breeder no matter how long I must wait. I don't think the breeder knows what they're doing letting them go that early. Quite shocked their details are on the official KC website!
I was quite alarmed because Dakotas breeder wouldn't let us take her home until she was 11 weeks and had been microchipped and had her injections!
Jdcell100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jdcell100 »

Nothing under 8 weeks
BigBoyBat0
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BigBoyBat0 »

I was about to take a chowling from a breeder on her 6th week, good thing i also asked and gather information from this forum. so until my chowling reaches her 8th week, id rather leave her with her siblings and mother. :) good thing people in this forum are so helpful..
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

It is advisable to leave a puppy with its mother until it is 8 weeks old.
We brought Matilda home when she was 8 weeks old and she was fine. She took about 3 days to housetrain and with a weeks or so had sorted the household out to just the way she likes it.
With Milly in 2000, she was just 6 weeks old and was allowed to come and live with us. It was the beginning of November 2000 and the circumstances were exceptional. She was born up in the lake district and there was a petrol shortage which was predicted to escalate.
Anyway, we brought this tiny little girl home but she was fine. We treated her as the baby she was and she, just like Matilda after her soon settled in and sorted her life out.
So, that is our experience for what it is worth. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Having had experience with rescue animals that did not have the experience of time with their parents and litter mates, it is very important that the puppy stay with his/her mother and litter at least 8 weeks. There is a lot of learning that takes place at this time, and you will have difficulties providing this training if your puppy does not receive it.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

When a breeder lets a pup go too early, it is almost always about chasing the almighty dollar.
beckysmyth92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by beckysmyth92 »

Thats a wonderful story Judy Fox thank you for sharing with me :) Im so happy for you.

I have decided to give this opportunity a miss, I agree with you Auddymay I think they are just after the cash as they are asking a whopping £1400 ($2274)

I hope to find a caring breeder who is more interested in the welfare of the chows than the profit!

Thank you everyone for all your replys I appreciate them all so much :)
Have a great day!
Becky
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

wow, at that price they should ONLY be offering a pup whose both parents are proven champion dogs, with a lineage that can be traced back several gens. Nobody with that quality of a pup would be releasing it early...just saying.
myboys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by myboys »

I took my boys home when they were 7 weeks exactly....it worked out ok, but probably because I took (2) siblings. They had each other, but really....I think they should have stayed with their mother a wee bit longer.
beckysmyth92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by beckysmyth92 »

I know Rory's Dad absolutely shocking! I find it so sad that people who don't know what they're doing breed dogs for money :( , because chows are so hard to come by in Northern Ireland people sell them for a fortune because they're such a rare breed they know people will pay it. I would of been willing to pay that but knowing that the dog could potentially have behavioural problems and the breeder obviously just wants a quick sell has set alarm bells off!

Thanks again everyone for sharing your advice!

Becky
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Have been looking for a female for Rory to hang with...wonder what it takes to get an import license for dogs to Ireland.

Sounds like a great business opportunity. Seriously though, very sad situation, and thats not the 1st time i have heard of shortage of Chows in your neighborhood. Just makes it that more likely that people will try to take advantage.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Yes.