normal sized chow??

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

nicoleirene
Rank 0
Rank 0

normal sized chow??

Post by nicoleirene »

hello! i posted when i first got my Kodiac last December/January, she recently turned 1 (October 15) and i think has changed quite a bit in her looks. We were orginally told she was purebred Chow Chow but i cant tell you how many people (vets and other breeders) & of course the occasional passer by that tells me she is Shiba Inu and i think she as she grows older she changes her color and looks so much. I can tell you she deffentiely has the Chow attitude ;) and has no problems keeping my 80lb lab in check with very little effort, she only weighs about 35 lbs when she went to her checkup in November, is this how big she will get or is she still growing? I was told her mom was a large 60lb + chow and dad as well, is this normal for her to be so small coming from large parents?? Regardless of breed or weight she is still my baby (just easier to pack around if she stays small)
:) thanks in advance for the input!

(first time being home)

(1 year)

karenmarie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: normal sized chow??

Post by karenmarie »

Beautiful Babies!!! Looks like you doing a great job!! Shiba Inu females range from 15 lbs to 19 lbs, quite petite, I think her size is most likely the combo of the smaller Shiba Inu and larger bone structure of the Chow Chow? At one year she is still a pup and will maybe add 1/2" to 1" in height and begin to fill out her frame adding anywhere from 3 lbs to 8 lbs. She looks happy & perfect to me :) Wishing you a long healthy happy life together
Bella & Balou
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

It's so weird that you don't remember that it was this forum that told you she was probably a Chow-Shiba-Mix. So credit where credit is due, please! :D I must say, seeing her now I stand by my original opinion.
nicoleirene
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nicoleirene »

i thought i had posted on here and got an opinion that she was Shiba! as i go back through my post from a year ago i think this was were i first actually beleived she was Shiba Inu :) i know my vet had told me she was, i tool her in the day after i brought her home and the vet said wow what a beautiful shiba/chow mix... she had also said probably got a better deal paying for a full chow as she thiguh shiba's were rare and more expensive where i live. Either way im glad i got my girl i dont know what i'd do without my furry companions! :D
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I'm gonna be honest, I don't see Sheba in your chow. I see a purebred, shaded red, smooth, open faced chow. And there are purebred female chows the same size on this site. My girl, Tippsy, wasn't much bigger that that even.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
nicoleirene
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nicoleirene »

thankyou! she shed right around when she turned 1 and it was like all her fluffy puppy fur was gone :( she still s fluffier than an normal lab or non chow but thats where i really though oh ok maybe she is more dominant shiba and now its coming out in her with the shorter fur??
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

I absolutely see the Shiba in your chow.
Never believe a breeder who claims that the dog is purebred, yet can't o r won't show or provide you with registration papers to prove it.
If your puppy was a purebred, it would have come with registration papers defining it's pedigree.

This isn't a smooth chow. It's definitely a mix.
It's a nice looking, cute dog though.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I agree, appears to be a mix, and Shiba is as good a guess as any.

As for sizing, at 1 year, its pretty close to what you will get as long as diet is proper.