Is it bad...?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Is it bad...?

Post by Tippsy'smom »

So, tonight I was taking the dogs out for their last potty break for the night, so we could go to bed (obviously I can't sleep :lol: ). Well, while I had Dixie and Todd out (I take Jazz alone to prevent anyone else from getting pee'd on by accident (USUALLY)) I was unplugging our Christmas decorations. So we walked across the yard where I had to unplug the inflatables and Dixie and Todd we obviously unnerved by them. :lol: But I got them unplugged and they kept watching them... So I'm trying to get them to follow me but they're not really listening, when there's a bunch of noise in the woods just beyond the decorations. Todd came running back to me, his tail tucked between his legs. While Dixie tensed up and started growling and barking her big bad "don't come near me and my momma" bark. She wasn't pulling on the leash (there was quite a bit of slack actually), just standing in the middle of the yard, stairing at the woods growling and barking.

So, here's my question, is it bad that I encourage her when she does this (when there's obviously not an innocent person involved)? It's always just "get 'em girlie! Tell 'em you mean business!" (unless there's just a person walking by at which I tell her to knock it off and she does). In all honesty, I find it amusing when she barks at branches falling out of trees and animals making noise in the woods. :lol:
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Is it bad...?

Post by cherriemater »

Jess ... I do the same thing with the boys, especially when it's that stupid stray cat. Now, one previso. I NEVER let them out in the play pen during that situation (or when there are deer or the skunk) without going out there myself. Leo has not (yet) figured out that he's strong enough to actually jump the fence, but I suppose if encouraged he might actually do it. Anyway, I say, Go on Leo ... you tell that bad ol' cat to just move along!

Now, like you, however, it's a whole different reaction if it's the UPS guy, Mrs. Clark walking by, etc. Then we say, Are you saying hello? Say hello and then be done. This cue tells them the person is okay and they usually only bark once or twice and then stop. But their tails wag and they keep them in their sights.

Different situations require different cues. Dixie was protecting you and I don't think it's bad of you to acknowledge that relationship. Conversely, I'm sure if someone came out of the woods and it was someone you knew, you'd correct her response accordingly. And, if it was those terrible neighbor dogs I would have no problem with you letting her rip into them for not being on a leash or being unsupervised. I know you wouldn't. I'm sure you'd gather up Dixie and Todd and get them in the house toot sweet. You're a good Mom, Jess.

And, we do the same thing: "Get that bad stick!"
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
karenmarie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by karenmarie »

Great topic Jess! I do however have a little bit different point of view on what we do and have followed through the past . We ( I, then I expect my family to reinforce) feel our chows have had and have a protective nature from the time they joined our family. I made ground rules straight away about #1 Huffing and growling when someone arrives: Praise such as Good Boy, Good Girl, then if all is OK I reassure them it's OK at which point I expect them to cease or as the ultimatum Time Out. Same goes for all the animals that visit ( We live in a timber) Squirrels, Raccoon, Ground hog, Deer, Possum, skunk, and last but not least a Mountain Lion, We check it out and if we are not threatened we tell them it's OK. My reasoning behind this is: If and when they have been loose I hope at some point they have recall of our command "It's OK" in this situation. Yes, we have had a chow & raccoon tussle and both suffered, we had to shoot the raccoon it was so terribly mangled, and our boy had stitches. It was very unpleasant. Manny & Balou through age and repetition did finally heed to "It's OK and Leave It". Anyway, when our 28 year old son was younger and thought "Get It" was a great command I sat him down and explained this type of animal has an over whelming protective & territorial drive and it was and is our job to tone it down and praise the warning but easy the drive. He thought I was over thinking until the raccoon episode with Manny . Although he had engaged in a fight he did back off when we arrived to witness it and gave him the commands. After that episode Manny & Balou would corner animals but not touch them and we could call them off. Our current two are a work in progress, patience,patience I remind myself as Bella is extremely territorial (Time out is Her middle name some days) . I worry with all our wildlife and hope someday she will realize live and let live. Just my philosophy. on our furry family members.
Bella & Balou
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Thanks Marti! :lol: I didn't think it was a bad thing, I just wondered what everyone else thought of it. :lol: She's the only one I've ever had that reacted this way. :lol: But I'm glad she does this and gives a warning for me to acknowledge and to ward off whatever it may be that she's thinks to be a threat. The only time I really disprove of this is when she wakes me up in the morning/middle of the night standing in the window growling at someone walking (I sleep with my window open. My window is a second story window)... :-x But of course, I get her logic; which is more likely than not that I'm vulnerable because I'm asleep. :lol:

Karenmarie, I get where you're coming from. I'd never want ANY animal to be a target to Dixie, but that's why I socialized her with all animals (she loves horses btw. :lol:) And I have full faith that she'd never attack an animal. We were actually faced with some deer tonight on our walk through the neighborhood to admire that Christmas light and all she did was watch the walk from the edge of the woods, across the sidewalk, and across the street to the other side and go behind a house. Afterwards, she continued like they'd never been there. :lol: Most of the time, it's a loud noise that she reacts to.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix