tongue troubles

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sheena
Rank 0
Rank 0

tongue troubles

Post by sheena »

my sister just bought me a new chow, Snow and she's already 2 months old and from what I've read, their tongue's supposed to be purple/blue-black, but her's is just a spot of purple. The other chows on the litter have already a full purple tongue, except for her. Will her tongue change color or will it stay this way?
Attachments
A9VFiEQCUAA_WJO.jpg
A9VFiEQCUAA_WJO.jpg (29.85 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
A9VE77RCMAANaV7.jpg
A9VE77RCMAANaV7.jpg (21.19 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
Auddymay

Re: tongue troubles

Post by Auddymay »

Well, yes. Her tongue should be bluer. Also, for a cream, she is very light. I suspect she could have some samoyed in her. How could this happen? Maybe mamma escaped while in heat. Or, I could be dead wrong and it is just a pigment issue and she is a PB Chow. Frankly it is hard to tell at this point. In any case, she is darling. That one spot could also develop into a mostly blue tongue. Watch it grow as time goes by...and welcome!
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Her being part Samoyed is a very good guess. I googled Samoyed puppies and they do resemble your pup. I think the tongue is going to stay the way it is now.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

When we first got our boys (I worried about everything!) I noticed that their tongues were not as blue as our Kimba-girl. So I read A LOT and found that even in some pure-bred chow chows, their pigmentation may not be as full as others. It's all a fluke of genetics, like some people have blue eyes and others brown. I also read that sometimes it takes a bit for it to get blue and as they age the blue will also fade a bit, just as white hairs will begin to show on muzzles and faces.

The best part is that your lovely pup is just as sweet as she can be and if she does have a bit of sammy in her ... what a GREAT pairing that would make. She'll be super smart and have less dander for allergies. She has a GORGEOUS color and what lovely eyes! So bright and cheerful. You've got many happy years ahead of you. I can't wait to watch her grow up ... hint, hint ... we like LOTS of pictures here.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I agree with Auddymay and Sarah that it appears your pup may have sammy in her. Her muzzle appears far more narrow that even an open faced chow pup's would be..... She's still adorable though. :)

My chow/lab mix boy's tongue was the same as your pups when he was a puppy and now it's almost solid purple!
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I have to agree with the ones that mentioned Sammy. I noticed that her mask is wrong too. She should be showing a frown line between her pretty eyes, but instead there is a very distinct widows peek, she is also way too light for a cream chow and her nose is too long.

Her tongue may darken a bit, but if she's got sammy blood it may never turn completly dark. She is so cute, I personally wouldn't worry about it, unless she was bought for showing/breeding. Then the non-solid tongue and mouth will be a major flaw.

Personally I adore sammies, they are so beautiful, and a lot easier to handle than chows. My idle situation is to have a big black male chow and a pure white sammy girl. I think they'd be stunning together.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
sheena
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sheena »

thanks for all the replies guys. if she really have sammy in her, I'd still love her the same. It just got me wondering why she's the only one in her litter who doesn't have a full purple tongue.

well anyways here's another picture of hers.. she loves staying in the bathroom for some apparent reason. :D
Attachments
600026_3777575407950_1218728712_n.jpg
600026_3777575407950_1218728712_n.jpg (46.36 KiB) Viewed 5137 times
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

What a gorgeous, gorgeous girl she is. I think she likes laying in the bathroom because of the tiled floor (very cool to her). We would all love to see pictures of her as she grows.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

sheena wrote:thanks for all the replies guys. if she really have sammy in her, I'd still love her the same. It just got me wondering why she's the only one in her litter who doesn't have a full purple tongue.

well anyways here's another picture of hers.. she loves staying in the bathroom for some apparent reason. :D

Mine is the same way; his tongue is not all purple. It just happens that way sometimes, even to a dog with impeccable bloodlines.

Mine loves the bathroom also. Chows enjoy the feel of cool tiles against their warm furry bodies.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

It could be that she is the result of two chow parents but if one of them is a cream and has several creams in that bloodline, there could be sammy in that. The rumor is that sammies were bred into chows to produce a lighter red to create the cream chows, (just a rumor, I have no facts that this happened so no one start yelling) If that is true those sammy genes while recessive could come out every now and then. Just the luck of the draw.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!