Is Your Dog a Thief?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

tabate45
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is Your Dog a Thief?

Post by tabate45 »

Following along with the strange behaviour post, does anyone else's dog steal stuff. My Shy will come in the house, walk over to the toy bed, give you the sideways glace, snag a toy and run outside. It is so funny, one of her many quirks. She isn't a playful dog with people, but when she wants to play with Coal she is crazy funny. Never seen anything like it. But when I click the video on my phone, she stops what she is doing. I am trying so hard to video this nutcase and post it. Maybe someday. Anyway, do any of you have a thief in the house?

Tracey
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Is Your Dog a Thief?

Post by Sarahloo »

Ahem, if she takes her own stuff, that's not stealing!!! :-) I just have to defend Shy's honour here!
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

My Dad calls Humphrey 'tea-leaf'. He steals treats from Fozzchops if he gets the chance, allsorts from the garden, ornaments, magazines/loo rolls/anything paper lying on a table (for shredding), puts woolly scarves/ear muffs and slippers in his toy box - then gets to keep them because we are too soft) and has a tongue that can slither round corners in an attempt to snaffle anything interesting off a plate! I often find my loo-brush downstairs or in the garden. Oh - and socks (direct from your foot sometimes).

Last week my Dad was fixing a heater that he had just bought and Humphrey went trotting up the garden with the little bag of screws and instructions etc. I need eyes in the back of my head!

Fozz used to steal little wooden ornaments from my Mums porch when she was a puppy.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes, they are both little thieves and so were Milly and Mabel. 8)
Maisie's favourite trick is to go into the bathroom when Fred is shaving and pinch a flannel and then run round with it - she thinks it is funny and will zoomie round the house with it at breakneck speed and if the back door is open, out into the garden.
Tilly will pinch socks - she loves to tease with them and will just move quick enough to be out of reach.
If we miss anything small we know to look in their beds or in their toy basket or behind the settee and very often, we find what we are looking for. :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

Tempest steals my white tube socks. I can put them up and she will climb up to get them. I can stuff them into shoes and she will get them. During the night, she'll find them wherever I've put them. She chews on them and I swear I haven't got a single pair of white tube socks without holes...
tabate45
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tabate45 »

I forgot about socks. Shy would steal them and chew the toes straight off. We have been putting them up high for so long I had forgotten. She is a crazy licker, feet, fingers with rings. Crazy chows!!!
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

Max is going on six and he's still a rascal. He likes to grab things of ours, a real thief, and run. He wants us to chase him and he loves it. That's the only reason he does it, he thinks it's a game. I think he's a perpetual puppy. Never will change I think. Maybe when he's older we'll be able to catch him easier?
Gene
Gene
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Henry's latest one is to come downstairs when I'm doing laundry and taking ONE wet thing out of the tumble dryer to snuffle and roll in, it's so funny to see his head shoved in the tumble dryer chosing what he wants lol.
Thank you Sweatpea
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Dillon took one of my fuzzy slippers and put it in his toy stash upstairs a few weeks ago. I looked everywhere. It finally dawned on me to check his babies. Lily loves rolling on wet/damp towels, too. If she sees one in a pile on the floor, it is Nirvana. She would not deign to actually take one, however. That would be unbecoming to her Majesty.
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Cocoa's favorite is, when it has been raining and I am toweling her off after a walk, to steal the towel and run zoomies around the house with it. I guess she figures the zoomies are a more efficient method of getting dry. :lol:
myboys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by myboys »

Yes, my Sundance is a thief.....not Butchie though, lol. Butch stands guard over his "things" but once he leaves (to follow me everywhere I go), Sundance creeps in and steals one of Butch's treats and runs over to his area with it. Also, he takes socks especially, they are his absolute favorite!! We will come home from work and find ALL the chew bones in Sundance's area...and Butch has none. One day, before I left for work, I gave both dogs a treat. I got a little way down the road and remembered I had left my cell phone home. Dashed back in the house and lo and behold.....Sundance had both treats!! Butch must have been by the window watching his mom leave for work. He is my little innocent one....
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I remember one particular instance when our Milly - our first chow chow was a baby. We brought her home when she was only 6 weeks old and a couple of weeks later, just before Christmas, our daughter brought home Harry, a tiny black and white kitten who was only five weeks old and his mother had been killed by a car.
Rhiannon bought Harry one of those little cat beds like a little igloo and he would snuggle down in it. For Christmas Milly and Harry were given some presents - little fluffy toys and the like and Milly really wanted one of Harry's. She was so sly about it and when Harry was asleep in his little bed, she would sneak over and very gently lean in and take the toy she wanted. She was determined and however many times it was taken off her and put back with Harry she would get it again. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)