Humphers Attacked

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Humphers Attacked

Post by Fozzbear »

I took Humphrey onto the dog-walking field at the back of my Mum's house today (didn't take Fozz also, thankfully).
We walked past a man who had two Staffordshire Bull Terriers and one of them just launched itself at Humphrey's neck. Humphrey didnt retaliate and I grabbed his harness and sped off but the staffy ran after us and kept going for Humphrey.
I really didnt know what to do - didn't want to drop Humphrey's harness/lead but wanted him to be able to run away. I stood over him in the end (contemplated picking him up but he is way too heavy for that). Thought the staffy would go for me too.
I shouted at the man to get his dog on a lead and got a load of abuse back.
Managed to run when the dog was distracted for a moment and other dog walkers shoo-ed it back. They had all grabbed their dogs and were telling the guy to get the dog on a lead and didnt get much of a better response. The staffy was running round snarling and baring its teeth (by which time I had got out of the park with everyone else). Someone called the police but the guy got his dogs on leads eventually and left.
I was really shook up.
Humphrey was fine luckily - just tufts of fur everywhere but no broken skin.
I'm livid now. It has confirmed my thoughts that aggressive people own aggressive dogs.
My question is - what can you possibly do in that situation? My Mum says I should carry a stick. I'm thinking of one of those dog corrector sprays (that shoot air and hiss). The thought of Humph being savaged as I just stood there makes me feel sick but I'm not sure what I could have done.

Really p!$$£s me off that people are so irresponsible. If I see that guy again I'm following him home so that the police can have a word with him about muzzling his hound.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Humphers Attacked

Post by Sarahloo »

So sorry this happened to you and Humphrey! That Chow fur is such a blessing. Loo was bitten a while ago, too, and there wasn't a scratch on him.

I wouldn't let this go if I were you! You can still report the incident to the police, even if you don't know the guy's name. And the next time you see him, you've got him. Had nobody ever seen him before?
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Carry a walking stick, I know lots of people carry sticks for fending off dogs.
Thank you Sweatpea
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I am truly sorry this happened to you and it is one of my greatest fears when walking my two and also why we don't go to dog parks. I do worry about involving the police though. It brings to mind the thought of the other dog getting hauled off to the shelter and killed because of his owners irresponsibility. I have no idea where you live but some states, Tennessee for instance, have ridiculous laws and have dogs put down if they attack another dog. You may have heard of the year long court battle involving a pit who escaped and got in a fight with another dog and was ordered to be put down. The owner fought it while the dog sat in isolation for a year at the pound and now the dog has to live out it's life at villa lobos rescue in new Orleans rather than die. Just something to think about. Dogs are the ones who are punished and pay the ultimate price, not their owners unfortunately.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

One of my top ten fears, loose aggressive dog(s). Glad to hear Humphrey's fur is all the S.B.T. was able to get!
We are allowed to carry pepper spray as are the Post Persons who deliver the mail. I do not know if the spray would work on really aggressive dogs or make them more mad. Good you did not take Fozz, controlling two would be impossible in a that situation. I have two new neighbors either side of me, though some distance away. One has two large white Spitz or American Eskimo dogs; the other a large long furred German Sheperd. The G.S. lives next too a near by house with a large Doberman that has gotten loose a number of times. I fear all of them since I walk my two Seniors separately and together depending on their moods that day. I too would like to know what to do in an attack situation with known attack bred dogs, Doberman and German Sheperd. I do not yet know about the personality of the Spitz/American Eskimo dogs. I will visit the new neighbors to ask about their dogs and inform them of mine. I expect them to say their dogs are gentle babies, as in past experiences with owners of those types of breeds. I still encounter people who go to the other side of the street to avoid my Chows, but not react that way when encountering other breeds. Chows, so misunderstood.
sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sue »

I see you are in the UK you are entitled to carry a walking stick & use it on an attacker if you feel you or your dog is in danger.When Zeus & Achilles were pups i would always carry one.One of are dog walking group carrys a ski stick which has a sharp point on the end after her spaniel was attacked.The can of Air i know a few people from training that carry one in case of trouble.We get a new group of people every 8 weeks & one guy brought a Staffie in that was snarling & attacking other dogs with his permission they tried the Air can on the dog & it stopped straight away but that was in a controlled enviorment with professional trainers on hand.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

You know what irks me ... chows and pitts and rotties have this terrible reputation but it's the Staffy that's the worst!!! This is, like, the third or fourth time I've heard about a staffy attack. Now, don't get me wrong, it's not REALLY the staffy's fault, it's the handlers! Ohhhhh ... my blood boils at people who don't keep their dogs on a leash when surrounded by other people!!! While traveling recently, we had four dogs out ... all in harnesses and leashes. We were parked at a truck stop and this trucker let his pitty out (I will say he was BEAUTIFUL! He came over to play and was so interested in the little guys). But just his all-of-a-sudden quiet presence there was terrorizing at first! And, not knowing how Bill would react, I grabbed up the two little ones (Buster a poddle/Jack Russel mix and CoCo a Rat Terrier) threw them in the car while grabbing tightly to Daisy (Beagle/Lab mix) and Bill (Border/Lab mix). Once I got them in the car, I shouted at the trucker ... Get that beautiful dog on a leash, please!!! He just smirked, swatted his leg and his dog followed, thankfully. Geesh ... some people.

Glad Humphs is okay. Glad your heart finally settled, too.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Marti--staffys, short for Staffordshire Terrier, are pit bulls. The term Pit Bull in the US stands for ther American Pit Bull Terrier, the American Staffordshire Terrier and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Collectively in the US they are all called Pit Bulls or Bully types.

The American Pit Bull Terrier is the one most likely to be used for fighting, and aggression. But the other two can end up in the same situations. The American Pit Bull Terrier is the around the same size as a chow. The American Staffordshire Terrier, or Am Staff is larger and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is the actually smaller than a chow.

Sorry, I just like to get things straight factually. The Amstaff's size is what makes it so dang dangerous, and many of the attacks we here about are really from Amstaff's not American Pit Bull Terriers. Although there have been studies which point to the Pit Bull as being more prone to dog to dog aggression, the authors of the study admitted their bias. It may be that Pit Bull puppies need to stay with mom until 10 weeks of age. (I have a friend who has a cattle/GSD cross who was seperated from her mom and sibs before 8 weeks and she has always been dog aggresive far beyond the norm for her two breeds, that early dog to dog socialization is very important)

Anyway, I carry my walking stick with me when I take the dogs out. I started after Ming and I were acosted by four dogs at the park, (just a regular park where the dogs should have been leashed per law, but weren't) A dobie cross, a gsd, and two smaller dogs. It was the small female that led the bunch across the street to get into Ming's face, (she was our downstairs neighbor, a rescuse with issues) Every since then I take my walking stick with me when I have the chows out. Five feet long, nice and stout, it is a good deterent to a dog, as I can safely put it in a dog's path and they will bite it, not me or my chows. I also don't go to dog parks. One incident is enough for a chow do decide to attack first and ask questions later. Chows are fine just hanging out with their family furred and not.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Thanks so much, Victory. I always appreciate an opportunity to learn. What scares, me about the staffy (or the pitt for that matter) is the VISIBILITY of their muscles. They're so sleek and strong. Very intimidating. It wasn't until the pitt was gone that I was able to appreciate it's beauty. So black and sleek and shiny. It's eyes really were playful but the way it appeared, so quietly ... it was just ... THERE! That's what had me on guard at first. When I calmed down, though, I was able to "see" it a bit better.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Im very suprissed at people sometimes tho...not responsiable with there dogs...On another side we also walk at least 2 of our dogs togethers...And ours seems to have that pack mentality to protect...I would like to see any dog fight but i can say if the Dog went after Kodi or Bear it wouldnt be a good turn out ....Kodi wouldnt Back down thats whats scares us...And Bear FORGET it...he is the size of a female Great dane..Height and weight..and he has that terrier SPUNK...the good thing is Kodi plays with Bear all the time so he kinda gtes his butt kicked he does return it,but Bear is fast its good to have 4 dogs they play hard and learn from each other...I disnt know it was legal a stick over there i think here in the US it isnt..I hope all is well...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

I'm definitely thinking stick...
I have reported to police etc but they cant do anything unless a dog attacks a person.
It has made me much more wary - all i saw was teeth and I'd hate to be in that position again.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

So sorry to hear Humphers was attacked! This is why I carry a baseball bat when I walk my dogs (typically... sometimes I forget it) and I used it when the rottie 2 doors down jumped Jasper (after I broke my walking stick on a pit who came after my mom's dogs). His owner got mad and called the cops but when the cops heard the dog wasn't leashed and I was protecting my dog (who was just cowering and taking it) they told the man it was his own fault and he needed to leash his dog (there is a leash law and people who get caught not abiding by it get charged $1,000). Any dog comes after me or my dogs I kick or swing the bat first and talk later.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Jess ... you're my hero!!!
karenmarie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by karenmarie »

Thankful You and Humphers are alright. Ms Bella and I had a very similar incident. We were walking, my husband had Bubbs and Bella and I were far ahead ( she doesn't require marking everything). We were meeting many other walkers hurrying away from the timber and all warned us of a lrg. Boxer mix loose and an owner with no regard. We about face and head away when over the incline came CRAZY DOG & OWNER the Boxer immediately grabbed Bella and had her on the ground and mouth on her neck (thank you for a thick mane)shaking her. I was screaming at the owner to grab his dog as every time I tried to pull Bella out from underneath him each time his head lunged at me snarling. I was frazzled, My husband had to hold Bubbs back as he for the first time ever was mad. He is 90lbs of puppy and had never pulled on a leash prior to this episode. Good job Honey holding the Bubbha Bear!! The owner never did anything but say let them fight it out (are you kidding)!!!! Smart as a peanut. My husband called him a few expletives!!! One person(Thank you)from another group of people ran up with a tree branch and poked the dog, I grab Bellas head and pulled her out from underneath him. Whew!!! Bells did have one small scratch and was a shaky baby like her moma for awhile. The guy hooked his dog on the leash and took off down the path. My husband begged me to take Bubbs so he could catch up to him (I think not). We now carry my grandfathers cane on walks away from home. I feel your pit of the stomach fear of a hurt chowdren.
Bella & Balou
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

cherriemater wrote:Jess ... you're my hero!!!
:lol: Marti, I hate to hurt any animal but if it's them, or my dogs, I'd prefer to do what it takes to protect my dogs. Even if I get bit (which I have been). It's actually a shame I have to take the steps that I do, to make sure my dogs are safe when I take them out... Too many people have no regard for those surrounding them or the law, and I just hope karma catches up to those individuals.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
tenajean
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tenajean »

Our breeder recommended an air horn to break up an attack or dog fight. It hurts their ears but stops the fight or attack immediately.
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

Air horn is a good idea too - thank you everyone!
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

Carry a strong walking cane or stick and when this happens bring the stick under the attacker's chin and lift up, they'll break. They seem to hate the pressure under their chin and let go. Then keep him back with the end of it. This is how I stop a fight between Zeena and Max. Zeena is always the agreessive one. She wants to dominate Max. It works and you don't get hurt in the process.
Gene
SashaLove
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SashaLove »

When we walk our Fur-Babies we always carry a walking stick. Big umbrella and walking canes works too. Hubby and Fur-Babies have been attacked once and charged a few times so we never walk with out something. He has had to bop the attacking/charging dog on the nose a couple of times and every time, they turn and run away from them.
Sasha Image
Otis (went to the Bridge at 10+ yrs old in Sept 2013) Image
Truffle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Truffle »

Yeah, so many pit owners are total scumbags! They get the dog because of it's rep and intimidation factor and just end up victimizing the dog as well as someone else. I already had my own encounter with an owner who just walked inside a dog park with a visibly terrified pit ON A LEASH and after the poor thing got attacked twice in a row by different dogs who are typically friendly (it really must have been the poor pits' scared demeanor that set them off because the attacks were out of nowhere and one after the other) - so this guy, his sentiment was: "nahhh man my dog's alright it was YOUR DOG i'd be worried about" :-x :-x such a scum bag! That poor pit should not have been anywhere near other dogs unless he was being properly re-socialized after whatever abuse he has been exposed to in the past :( I see this so frequently that I would fully support completely banning the breed even if only temporarily so as to extinguish the "gangster fad."

What I do, is I carry bear mace every time I go to the dog park. My boy LOVES that place and he needs to run and engage with other dogs, so I will not deprive him of the experience because he is very well behaved and deserves to enjoy it... But to be safe, I have the mace. You can even make your own, I'm sure there's a bunch of variations. I would not go with something that's just distracting/unpleasant because those types of dogs do not feel pain when they're in attack mode. You gotta use something that will temp blind them. I guess it's cruel but really it will save their life and/or your pets.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Well to be honest with you its not Just Pits you know...any dog can turn at any second...the most gentle dog can turn on you or another dog...so please i dont want to hear this crap about Pits,being so bad so mean there so bad of a dog...NO its the owner and owners fault most times they didnt train them right or solicalize them properly......Hey our chows dont have the best Rep either you know...alot of people are afraid of them..So the more we teach people about them and other dogs that have the bad name the better the dogs name become...And hopefully can stop all the Bad Reps that developed....over there yrs...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Truffle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Truffle »

Yeah I totally agree that the dogs are completely blameless and it's the certain type of owner that is victimizing the dog and making it into a scared, aggressive, unhappy animal :( It's just that pit bulls have the unfortunate "pull" as the breed to give you a "hard rap" if you own it. Nothing to do with the pits, just the unfortunate culture of those scum abusing dogs :( I absolutely do not think think it's the dog at all. And I'm just wondering what could be done to kill that tradition..
Milo & Nicole
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Milo & Nicole »

Milo was attacked by a staffie last summer in the middle of town. Homeless man wasn't holding the dogs lead properly and it just lunged and went straight for Milo's neck and would not let go. It was terrifying.
No one could get it off, it eventually let go and I managed to pull milo out the way before it managed another bite but the guy was actually trying to blame milo. Milo is the softest most naive and gentle dog I have ever had the privilege to own or meet, he doesn't have a bad or angry bone in his body and therefore doesn't understand it in other dogs and has absolutely no fight in him. My screaming had gathered a crowd and then the police but as soon as they found out it didn't involve a person they had no interest and told us to just leave (the homeless man was clearly known to them) the crowd of people tried explaining how the staffie had given no warning and how dangerous it was but they just didn't care, I have absolutely no faith in the police.
His neck was so infected even by the time we got to the vets that I had to leave him there to be given an anaesthetic to properly clean his wound, he didn't know what was happening, it was heart breaking. By the time I finally got him home he was in so much pain that he just stood in the middle of the living room whimpering, this was followed by two weeks of forcing tablets down his throat and bathing his neck (he hates anything wet).
Apart from still being completely bold on his neck, his skin itself has completely recovered and he holds no grudges against anything. Apparently chows have naturally thick skin so he faired better than most dogs would have. I haven't walked Milo in town since then and have seen the dog and it's owner on several occasions, the man also has a second staffie pup now, it breaks my heart to think how he'll drag this dog up as well.
You feel so useless, I still don't know what I'd do if it ever happens again.
Attachments
This was a few days later.
This was a few days later.
image.jpg (142.1 KiB) Viewed 8899 times
If you never did you should, these things are fun and fun is good