General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowchowz
Rank 0
Rank 0

help with sunburning chow

Post by chowchowz »

well i shaved my chow for the summer....to make a long story short
she's sunburning very bad i have sun lotion o her and no help she wont come inside at all she feels like she should be outside pertecting the fort :roll: anyhow Im out of idea's please help :?
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

See if she'll let you put a white cotton t-shirt on her. Tie it on the top of her back. Otherwise, you might just have to limit her time outside in the sun or make a place for her (or teach her) to hang out where there is shade. such as close to a deck or under a shaded tree.
chowchowz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowchowz »

Lou wrote:See if she'll let you put a white cotton t-shirt on her. Tie it on the top of her back. Otherwise, you might just have to limit her time outside in the sun or make a place for her (or teach her) to hang out where there is shade. such as close to a deck or under a shaded tree.
nope and nope wouldnt let me come near here with a shirt I picked her up and brought her inside and put aloe on the sun burn now she is spoiled and wont go outside but to use the bath room and when i open the she force's her way in LOL dumb dog anyhow taken care of now but it is still a problem my chow seems to have very bad skin i durno :?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

You said you tried sun lotion, did you mean sun block or lotion?
You should go out and find the strongest sun BLOCK available No 45 I think and apply that.
I have a Chow that won't let me do anything to her either but when it comes to her health your going to have to take charge, either put the t-shirt on her or get the sun block, you are looking at possible skin cancer or other skin problems so forget the Chow won't let you and just do it. Vet bill's are way more expensive then chasing your chow around the house putting sun block or a t-shirt on her. If worse comes to worse then lock her in the house untill some of that coat grows back.

Why did you shave her in the first place? it may be hot but those 3 layers of coat are your Chows insulation and keeps her cool, that first layers of coat is a must keep.