General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tori
Rank 0
Rank 0

chow puppy's hair

Post by Tori »

:( hi chow family.
so I decided to take my chow puppy(7months old) to the groomers to get trimmed...only to find that they had decided to give her a hideous "lion cut" I'm completely devastated..I got home crying! It looks horrible! So I wanted to know how long it will take for her hair to grow back? And also what the signs are of her first heat? I saw a few blood spots on the floor but her virgina isn't swollen..I so hope her hair grows back soon! I'm miss my Teddy bear(crying).
Would appreciate ur responses.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: chow puppy's hair

Post by Victory »

Her hair should grow back pretty quickly, at 7 months she's most likely getting rid of her puppy coat anyway. Depending on where you are, you'll want to watch out for strong sunshine as it can give her a sunburn which may cause the hair not to grow back as well. Also if she's in heat, don't let her get pregnant that will delay her hair growning back too.

I don't know why they do that stupid lion cut, I think it's ugly too.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Ingen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ingen »

Mine first heat was around that age too, 6-7 months. I spotted droplets of blood and got worried as I thought she was too young and rush her to a vet at night and it turned out it was her first heat, (cost me abit for after hours consultation too lol).
Tori
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tori »

Thanks for the response guys, like I'm really sad about it all, because some says that her hair won't grow back properly..because the shaving of her hair damaged her coat?(I miss my Teddy bear)..how do I know for sure that she is on heat? Isn't her privates suppose to swell up?..do u know approximately how long it will take for her hair to grow back?
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

Didn't you discuss what you wanted with the groomer?
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Her fur will grow back with time. How much time? Dunno. But that is why I don't take my dogs to the groomers. I do ALL grooming myself be; I don't trust them.

But she very well could be in heat. My late girl, Tippsy, started her first heat around that age (6-7 months) and her privates never swelled. I never noticed swelling during ANY of her heat cycles.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

When Fozz came into heat her bits didnt swell for a week or so, even though she was bleeding. When they did swell up I had a fit and almost took her to the vets - d'oh!
Fur will grow back quicker than you think - Fozz had her leg shaved for medical reasons. Can't believe they shaved her without asking you! Chows dont really need trimming, just brushing.
sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sue »

If she's dropping blood then she's come onto her first season its normally about 6 months of age.For the nexy 3 weeks make sure you keep her away from any males.Dont leave her outside on her own she is too young to get pregnant after this season has finished you would be best to get her spayed.Dont worry about the fur it will grow back.
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

We've all been through ugly haircuts before, and she will, too. I know it's horrible, but it will grow back... Just love her as is and she'll be her regular self before you know it!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh dear, I am so sorry about the haircut but I am sure it will grow back sooner than you think. Stupid people - they should not have done that.
Regarding her heat - just make sure she does not get in contact with any male dogs - mating can happen so quickly.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

I just had a flash back from a long long time ago (56 years ago). Our Chow mix "Ginger" - my mom clipped him into a "lion" cut and poor Ginger was so embarrassed he hid! Fur will grow back - we've all had bad hair cuts... Give her loves....
Tori
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tori »

such a relief to know that the fur will grow back! So many websites said it won't grow back and that freaked me out even more. Anyway I really appreciate the responses and it turns out she's not on heat coz I haven't noticed any swelling or any more blood..
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Tori wrote:such a relief to know that the fur will grow back! So many websites said it won't grow back and that freaked me out even more. Anyway I really appreciate the responses and it turns out she's not on heat coz I haven't noticed any swelling or any more blood..
Don't trust the absence of blood, she could be cleaning herself, many chows do that. In fact many females do it and then "whooops, I didn't know she was in heat!" when the puppies show up. If you think she was in heat when you did spot the blood, I'd be cautious for the three week time. It's better to be safe than sorry. She is WAY too young to have puppies now. In fact if you can I'd take her to a vet, get their opinion on whether or not she is in heat, and if she isn't get her spayed now, she's old enough. And if she is, schedule her spay for when she is out of heat.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

It will grow back in a few months.
And some dogs are neat when they are in heat but if you are observant enough, you'll see tell tale evidences. Namely swelling and her bi annual period.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Someone mentioned that at seven months it was mostly puppy fluff that they removed and I can confirm this since my boys began to shed their own puppy fluff at about 7-8 months. Since they left the mane (for the lion cut) that's probably a good thing since our boys didn't shed much of that and their new hair grew right up through the fluff that remains. I agree, chow chows don't need much grooming but do need good brushing, especially through the first shed. I swear I could make a wool blanket with as much fur that they boys let loose (and by all accounts should have saved it)! You may find that you'll still need to groom your gal while her new hair grows in because what they did leave will still need to be shed anyway. Hope you have a good vacuum! Our boys are one 13 months old now and Max is STILL trying to get his butt fluff gone. It's such tight little ringlets and I comb/brush him every other day as long as he can stand it. His mane is still growing/shedding too, poor little guy! Glad he's my patient guy because Leo HATED being groomed during his shed, and still to this day I have to do so just after a good walk so he'll lie still.

Never fear, your gal will be full and fluffy before you know it!! Hugs and purples kisses from Leo and Max!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)