Moderator: chowadmin

BecChow22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help and Advice Chows UK

Post by BecChow22 »

Hi there,

I am a long time lurker but this is my first post, so please go easy on me

I lost my Sparky my blue Chow about two years ago. She was a special dog as all Chows are but she was with me when I had serious problems with my health. To cut it short when I began to recover
Sparky became unwell and not soon after died she was 13.
To say I was heartbroken was an understatement and it will always be one of those moments you will never forget. It had been a year, and I begun having lengthy chats with my other half and we both decided to get another.
I was over the moon but then the reality hit Chow Chow litters in the UK are rare! So rare that every avenue I have gone down it just never happens. I have probably harassed the majority of Assured Breeders for a Chow but still they are so busy they may not have the time. So two years and I am still actively looking and I am getting really down about it.

I guess my questions to you guy's is....... what am I doing wrong here. I have nearly fallen foul of both puppy farms and scammers and at one point was actually going to import a Chow from Russia as this seemed reasonable.
I know I am ready fro another Chow but it's where do I go from here.
I know SirCHOW on reading his huge amounts of comments may be able to assist and if there are any other UK chow owners out with a success please feel free to respond I am sure it will be all helpful.
I am so sorry for writing such a large first post, but if I can just see a light at the end of the tunnel preferentially with a fluffy cream or red chow running towards me ;) it may help me get back on course to find my pup, just at the moment I feel a little dejected.
Thanks to all for listening to me it is much appreciated Best wishes Becky x
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: Help and Advice Chows UK

Post by Victory »

We have a lot of UK members and I am sure some of them will help you out. I've always thought it would be wonderful if we in the US could pull ans ship some of our rescue chows to the UK, (we can get them to Canada on occasion) we have so many and it would help them find homes, but the day when that can happen just hasn't arrived yet.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

There seem to be a couple of rescues in the UK like this one:
http://www.londonchowchowrescue.co.uk/
As an experienced Chow owner, a rescue Chow might be just the thing for you! With your experience, you are wasted on a puppy! :)
@ Victory: In Northern/Central Europe, we rescue from our Southern countries like Spain and Greece, where animal welfare is atthe very bottom of the agenda and colonies of strays are still a very common sight. I guess that is why avenues into US rescuing have not been explored. There is no lack of homeless dogs here thanks to our immediate neighbours in the South and in Eastern Europe.
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

Hello -I am in the UK. Have you registered on Epupz? Puppies and occassionally adult dogs that need re-homing pop up on there 'fairly' regularly. You can set up an email alert.
There is a beautiful cream male chow available at the moment on there: http://www.epupz.co.uk/search/puppies_f ... =Chow+Chow
Of course, I dont know the breeder so, like with all pups - go to see them at the house with their Mum, see Dad if possible, check that the pup has all KC papers and that the breeder is KC registered if possible, ask if parents are hip/elbow scored blah blah.
I can recommend good breeders - if you like reds and dont mind a journey to get your new fluff-bucket then I recommend Ellen Blight of rosechow kennel in Devon. Dont know if she has any available pups but you can go on waiting list. I got Humphrey from her and he is very healthy with a great temperament. She is very keen on health testing. Can recommend others also if you want to inbox me.
Really there is no need to get a puppy shipped over and you wont be able to see the puppy that you are getting properly that way.
There are lots of scammers out there - ignore any advert that claims to be selling a dog cheaply and ignore anyone who makes excuses why you cant see the dog/parents and offers to send the dog to you (for a deposit/price obviously).
There is no need to dispair - chows are available if you spend a few weeks ringing round and doing your research. It is also worth contacting all Kennel Club registered and accredited chow chow breeders as they tend to know of pups that are expected and that wont be generally advertised. The Kennel Club Find A Puppy website is currently showing puppys from an accredited breeder in Nottingham and others from non-accredited breeders elsewhere.
siewchingan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by siewchingan »

Hi, I am new too, but learn so much from this site than anywhere else.I was as the same situation as u one n a half year ago. As this was my first chow , I didn't know how it's work , I thought calling a breeder or kennel club ad would be solving the problem , but noooo, never worked ,as all their puppies been booked or on waiting list ! i have been waiting for one n a half year n no news ,as some breeder didn't even contact me, but by chance I been offered a chow puppy by sheila (tanlap) WOW ! What a love pup, well he is 16 months old now ,never look back . Go to Tanlap website , have a look :) .she rescue chow too . Hope to hear some good news from you . Regard from Jackie
BecChow22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BecChow22 »

Just wanted to say thanks for the replies and advice :D

I will definitely look at the possibility of a rescue chow and that website link is great.

Many thanks for welcoming me and I will keep you updated of any progress I make in my search!
Towbartone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Towbartone »

Go onto the kennel club site and register, you can then get alerts for registered breeders who have Chows for sale.

Their names and addresses are listed so you can get in touch with them.

Be very careful of scams though there are so many out there and usually they use the same photo to advertise "their chow"
firewatch04
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by firewatch04 »

I just joined and read your letter. We lost our rescue black chow chow girl just two weeks ago, after twelve years. Reading your letter and the beautiful emotion and feeling in it helped me deal with the incredible loss I feel. Chow chows really are so magical. I wish you the best. Nadia in Southern California