Does your Chows get along with cats?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Does your Chows get along with cats?

Post by kitten1426 »

Well ours does...lol...we just got a 5/6 week old kitten added to our other 3 cats we have and the little guy snuggled up to our Male chow for some warmth...I guess we did a good Job rasing our Dogs.. \:D/

Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Does your Chows get along with cats?

Post by ski »

If that we're our chow Loki, that kitten would be a snack!!!! He has no time for little, fury creatures
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

That is cute. My two like cats. They actually found and raised a 4 week old kitten.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

My two, Matilda and Maisie love Harry our 13 yr. old cat. He will go and join them when they are eating and take pieces of meat from their bowls and they don't even bother let alone growl at him. He will snuggle up to them and sit with them :D
However, he will tease them. He will go through the hedges round our garden or through the railings in the front and poke his paw at them. He knows they can't get him. However, when the magpies land on the grass in our avenue he will shoot back in and sit by the girls for safety. He does not like the magpies! :lol: A pair brought their two youngsters down to feed and he was stalking them and the parents buzzed him swooping down at him! He had a nararow escape silly cat but now he treats them with respect and keeps out of their way. :D
When we are out though on a walk, Maisie and Tilly will try to catch any cats we see. They know where all the cats live and there is one house where the cat isn't a bit afraid of them and in fact will come leaping out of his garden and chase us - patting at their knickers! They pass that house with caution.!! =D=
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Oneill and Nikki both got along with our 2 cats. Our cats curled up in the center of the chows by their tummy to keep warm when the chows laid on their sides.. and all slept together peacefully.. The cats were here first and both dogs came as puppies so not sure if that made a difference but the cats put the pups in place with one swat and they both listened to the cats and everyone was happy.. The cats did have a room to escape to when play got too much for them. (since they were older), Baby gates work wonders..
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Kitty (wife) wants every one to know that chase is a big game to be played, and it is not the game everyone imagines. Yoda, the kitten raised by my chows, likes to chase the dogs. The chows will only get up and move, so they are not that much fun, but are little dogs, which are more matched in size, know to run if they don't want a cat making swipes at their tail.
Delilah
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Delilah »

My sweat little girl, Delilah, is "married" to my Mother's cat Sandford. We even had a ceremony! (I need to get a life!) The two of them are truely in love!
haifinn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by haifinn »

my chow gets along great with our cat. we raised them together so she has no problem with the her. your male chow is gorgeous by the way (:
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Thank you!!!!! Our female chow looks like yous...She is beautiful !!!
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
PorschaLei
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PorschaLei »

Calypso gets along with anything but strangers. We rescued a kitten over the summer were super paranoid about having it around calypso, but they became best of friends, she takes care of it as if it were a pup of hers.
Kai / Hanna
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kai / Hanna »

Hi

This is my first post.

Yes, my 2 dogs(Chow chow & Lhasa apso)get along with my 3 cat. I rather say that 3 cats are just egnore dog.

I'm living MN, US.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Tippsy LOVED our cats. She raised a little Siamese mix kitten that we named Li'l Bit. She would let her sleep with her and eat right out of her food dish when she was eating.

Dixie and Jasper love our cats now, too. Dixie has raised 2 kittens (Monster and Willow) since we rescued her. And she was raised my my Mainecoon mix, Minion, who thinks he's a dog. :lol:

Tippsy, Jasper, and Dixie with Minion
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Jess, I love that picture
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Ursa's daddy wrote:Jess, I love that picture
Thanks George! :D
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

My Chows HATE cats. If they're raised as puppies with cats, they'll get along. I had to get rid of a dead cat in my back yard and I know who did it, Zeena. The cat wasn't fast enough to get out of yard. It was mangled. I noticed cats will sometimes test the dog and get cocky. They do that in this yard, they're a dead cat.
Gene.
Gene