why do people think chows are one of the most dangerous dogs

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

haifinn
Rank 0
Rank 0

why do people think chows are one of the most dangerous dogs

Post by haifinn »

Almost every chow chow I have ever met was always friendly and lazy... I did however; know chows that were aggressive and every single one that was aggressive was tied outside to a tree with a dog box. I think if I were a chow with all that fur having to sit out in 90 degree weather while children passed by and teased me all the time; I would be pretty cranky too. let alone being tied to a tree... I think the only time a chow is mean for no reason is if it is treated poorly.. My mother in law swears up and down that my chow will become aggressive no matter what. she forbids we ever take our chow to her house during holiday's and when we go to visit. she is being very; in terms i like to use "dog racist". why do certain people think that ALL chows are going to be aggressive? and what can i do to convince my stubborn mother in law that charlee bear is not going to be mean to her? My chow chow is very friendly to everyone and other animals, and also well socialized. it's very insulting to me that people say things like this for some reason. thank you for any advice you can give me.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: why do people think chows are one of the most dangerous

Post by kitten1426 »

Well we have 2 chows..a female chow she is the most friendly chow you will ever meet...And we have a Male chow pictured in my sig..He could have the tendacy to be cranky with People..and other dogs...He has 2 brothers also...a male airedale and male collie...HE is well loved..treated very well..never is outside when Hot..Sits in the house with Air conditioner on...sleeps with us in our bed room...Like i said very loved...He is a BIG boy too..My wife grew up with chows..Her parents rasised and showed them..She said she never had a a mean one..Now we have Kodi he is a beautiful dog,but a little cranky...we wouldnt really trust him with other people we have to always keep a close eye on him...He is a great dog dont get me wrong..I just wouldnt want to try to come in our house or yard without us...lol...So to your question yes im guessing some can be bad...and some are good..just have to watch and see how they turn out as they grow up...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Well, I am sitting with two chows beside me right now. If I had my sox off, I would probably have feet viciously attacked by a couple of purple tongues. :) From what I have observed with Ursa, my female, is that chows do need additional help with socialization. She had not been socialized or handled, and was very withdrawn. I have been successful with her, and she does well. Last week, she was introduced to a bunch of children under the age of 6. They had no idea about how to approach a dog, and did not pay attention to instructions, but she allowed them to pet her on the head!!! I was surprised at how well she did. I am not sure how to convince your mother-in-law. Chows are wonderful dogs and are wonderful family members. That means they are a real part of the family and participate in family activities. I have a friend who is certain I go nowhere with out my dogs because he has never seen me without them. Some of my friends are just real lucky. There are many members here with stories about how wonderful chows are. Your mother-in-law needs to meet and interact with your chow. My two have been able to convince people that chows can be friendly and well adjusted dogs.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I'll counter your question with...why do mother-in-laws have such a terrible reputation.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

why do mother-in-laws have such a terrible reputation.
That is the best reply Rory's Dad.. Iam a mother inlaw too..hehe No human or chow should be judged by a title.

I have had a wonderful experience with my chows especially Nikki with Children. I now own a golden retriever who at 10 wks growled at me for picking her bone up it was on her bed and I was going to clean the bedding.. that was something that shocked me because none of my chows ever growled at me for taking food or bones away, We could reach in their mouths even to take something out or put a pill in with no problem.. My grandchildren could take things away no problem.. We addressed the problem and she's good now but it did surprise me after having 3 chows with no issues..
Just like there can be horrible mother inlaws there are some nice ones to ..its all in how you treat us !!!!! hahahaha
haifinn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by haifinn »

i wasn't insulting my mother-in-law at all. I am just upset that she forbids me to take charlee bear when we go to visit her. she is a very loving individual who i get along greatly with she just will not give charlee bear a chance... I was just looking for advice to see what I could do to convince her. Sorry if i offended any mother in laws out there. I wasn't calling mother-in-laws bad by any means.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Don't worry I was just joking too, Mother inlaws always have that rap and you have to have a sense of humor with it! But some of it might be true, I have to just laugh at Mother inlaw jokes some fit me some don't. It's all in fun..
But the real thing is every chow is different too and most are fine if you teach them what you want them to do..Sounds like you know to socialize and do basic manners with your pup..My mother inlaw was petrified of Nikki till she saw how great she was with her Great grandchildren..Then she was a believer and now misses her being here to greet her ! Your mother inlaw might come around too if she sees your chow behaving. Its hard in an email to express humor I should be more careful!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I agree with Chowpups.
Your mother inlaw might come around too if she sees your chow behaving.
My two have demonstrated to people that don't have favorable opinions of chows that chows can be friendly, well behaved dogs. Has your mother-in-law had a bad experience with a chow?
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Chows have a reputation now that was earned by them in the late 40s through about the early 70s I want to say. In the 30s and early 40s they became very, very popular here in the US and unfortuneately were owned by people who had no idea about the breed. Also as with any breed that is overbred, (back yard breeders and puppy mills) they were often badly bred. A normal cat like wariness was allowed to become exagerated to the point of dangerous aggression in some cases along with fearful behaviors that also led to biters and untrustworthy temperments. Add genetic health issues to the mix and the end result was a great many chows who were overly fearful, overly aggressive, unhealthy, in pain, badly or not socialized at all, and many of these animals did turn, (bite) for seemingly no reason at all and the reputation was born. And it is hard to get rid of.

I believe chows were one of the first breeds to suffer this, dobermans were next, with GSD's and then Rotties following, right now it is the pit bull, the next may well be the beloved, over bred and too popular Labador, since there have been some cases of them having genetic cognitive problems that result in agression.

Now that's the history. What can be done and is being done about it. Legtimate breeders are breeding for good temperment. Really good breeders are breeding for good temperment, good health, and intelligence. Good owners are socializing, socializing, expecting good canine citizen ship even to a modest degree and getting it. And educating. I don't let an opportunity to show off how friendly my chows are to anyone who wants to interact with them. An adult chow is protective, especially the males, but agression is never to be allowed, (unless the other person is carrying a gun or something). Raise your puppy right, and I'll bet your mother ain law will meet him sooner or later and be amazed and then fall in love.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Haifinn, my response was generic and not directed specifically at your post or your own mother-in-law. It's all about the reputation. Chows have a reputation that is not at all well deserved, its a few very well publicized cases that have created the stir. Just the same for rotties and pitbulls, as Victory has said, and mother-in-laws as countless comediens have made careers over.
PorschaLei
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PorschaLei »

Some are known to be very moody, my girl isnt fond of people, it takes her a while to get to know you and she hates kids, but that is due a bad experience with them which mostly likely she will never get over. But if she trusts you shes the greatest thing on the planet. It all depends on temperment.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

@PorschaLei, you can work with your girl and help her adjust to people. Ursa was very withdrawn and afraid of just about everything when I first got her. I take her places and let her see people, places and things. I always try to make it at her pace, so that if she doesn't want to participate in the activities, we don't.
Chowmomma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chowmomma »

Have you invited her to your place? Maybe if she then meets your chowbaby and sees no threat?

Sent from my PC36100 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

It's because the media and the general public have painted this picture of ignorance for a LONG LONG time (with many large breeds, not just chows). Most people heard a "horror story" of a "vicious" chow (or other dog breed) from a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend who was "attacked". People are just ignorant and don't want to be educated about the actuality of an individual dog, and instead clump the entire breed to the "vicious" stereotype. And ALL too often, there's nothing that will change their mind.

I hear the same crap ALL the time. People are always saying "oh, a chow, I don't trust them"; "he/she must be vicious"; "they'll rip you apart just like a pitbull"; or "They're no good as pets". I roll my eyes and walk off with my well-behaved, sweet, trusting chow (mixes) by my side (I hear awful things about GSDs (other part of Dixie's mix) and pitbulls (Snooki is a pit/schnauzer mix)when I go out with all three of the big dogs). All the crap is why I made bandannas for Dixie and Jazz that say "You say 'chow' like it's a bad thing" and a bandanna for Snooki that says "You say 'pitbull' like it's a bad thing". 'Cause in all honesty, I don't care to hear what negative crap ignorant people have to say about my dogs. If they choose to run their ignorance to me, I'll surely put them in their place.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

Depends on the Chow. Some can be the friendliest and others "Stand back!" I think the reasons people are afraid of Chows is that they're stocky, big heads and big necks, nothing whimpy about a Chow, mine have 22" collars and the other reason is they have BIG mouths. It's an illusion because they have a shroud of hair that covers part of their muzzles. But, when they open up, it looks like an alligator with two more teeth than other breeds, 44. My female is jet black and very stocky with a wide chest like a bull dog. She scared all people in the waiting room when I took her to see the vet. She was not aggressive, just her appearance. The vet was scared too. He wanted me to put a muzzle on her before he examined her. I have two Chows, her big brother Max and he is 85 lbs. The vet gave me ACE pills to use next time to make them relaxed before I bring them in.
I had the mail lady though trying to pet Zeena thru the fence. I told her I wouldn't do that, just in case. They are natural guard dogs, it's in their genes. The ancient Mongolians used them as guard dogs, hunting dogs, and sled dogs. So, it's in their genes. Pound for pound they are extremely strong dogs.
Gene.
Gene
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

I agree its in there looks Our Kodi does look mean...LOL...he is a sweetheart well to us anyways...I really wouldnt try to come in our yard or house tho without us letting you....might not be a good outcome...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Ingen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ingen »

I believe its the reputation of Chow that put the sign dangerous dogs on them. Friends that cover to my place love my chow, but the nurse and vet are the ones that seem fearful of her. They never fail to ask, is she aggressive, is she bad tempered, does she bite, will she attack? But after spending a minute with her,they learned not all chows are aggressive.

With that said, my chow does have fearful aggression, she growls at new things which she is unfamiliar in the house, on the table and now she developed a fear for the air purifier which she bang into while sleeping in the middle of the night lol. Oh well, I got to find ways to eliminate that problem of hers.

Her favorite pastime... LOL

Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Firstly, congratulations on you getting a chow. I also congratulated myself upon deciding on a chow because Cassie is such a prim and proper young lady and wouldn't do what Blue (my mini pin/ toy fox terrrier mix) does!

Heed your mother-in-law out of respect for her and her territory - never bring the chow ever , unless you have your kids (if they are yet to come) and they pester her to let them bring their beloved dog. Or your better half would do it but never you.

In the years to come, who knows if she may warm up to your Chow. I know how you feel as we feel strongly for our furry friends but we can't insist it to them you know. :wink:
aiza
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by aiza »

Taro is also my first chow and since I got him I always get same comments as yours from people around. I did not listen to them and just continue socializing Taro by taking him out more often. And so he did turned out to be a very sweet Chow. He's good with kids, family, friends and even strangers. Below is a picture of him and my Tzu on a park were a mob just came rushing to him taking pictures and hugging him. He always enjoy the attention.

So the comments I am getting now is "is he really a chow?" :D
Attachments
Heartthrob Taro 2.jpg
Heartthrob Taro 2.jpg (61.05 KiB) Viewed 13732 times
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Our Female chow is like that..But not Kodi he doesnt like people coming up to him unless we tell him its ok or introduce them to him...And in a way i like that...i dont want people running up to our dogs like that...ASK then we allow you to pet him...thats the proper way...i think...
RebeccaBlack
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RebeccaBlack »

My chow growls at new things which she is unfamiliar in the house, on the table and now she developed a fear for the air purifier which she bang into while sleeping in the middle of the night lol.
P.R. Bear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by P.R. Bear »

You didn't say if your mom-in law is in the same town or if you have to travel to see her. With us, if we are at a relative in town we take 2 cars and one of us leaves early to "take care of the dogs". If it is an out of town trip one of us stays home, (we have 4 dogs, can't afford to board). It works for us, of course we haven't had a family vaca in years lol!
sashasayys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sashasayys »

I was always scared that my chow would turn out mean. When i first got him he was absolutely crazy, and what made everything worse is that he is really smart. he would manage to open up his cage, box, jump over baby gates, open up doors and destroy every little thing in the house. He'd bite constantly too, and it HURT. He even bit my face at one point, and would constantly growl at everyone that would come near him. But i decided to give him a couple more months and see what happens; afterall he is my first dog and i couldnt give up on him that easily.
He is now my best friend. I have never thought that a dog could be my best friend. Turns out he is such a gentle soul. He protects me, and loves me with all his heart. I can tell because whenever i come home sad, he starts licking me obsessively and lets me cry on him without trying to get away :p
I agree with you when you say that angry chows come from abused families. When he was a puppy he lived in the basement without his mom. He was very dirty, and didnt get much food or water. I'm guessing that's why he misbehaved so much. After the right kind of treatment, he turned into a gentle little bear <3
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Troy was a sweetheart, very well socialized, playful with all and then one time after a woman who asked permission of me while Troy was on leash I allowed her little girl to pet my Troy gently, the mother decided to gently pet after three strokes Troy whipped his head around and drew blood on the mother's arm! Just one tooth entered slightly, luckily the woman didn't press charges against me. It was Troy's way of saying don't pet me! Then he just stood there like nothing happened! (Maybe Troy picked up something about the mother he didn't like-who knows!)

My Sheena was both loved and abused by children and her owners who had her as a backyard breeder threw her out in the streets after they couldn't sell her pups. She was out there for 1 year 3 months when I decided to capture her. She bit into my arm initially and when I told her "Go there and it's down to the pound instead of the vet." Sheena released my arm. It took 1.5 years to really socialize her and she finally decided to be my chow instead of looking for her former owners. She would snap at some children/people and not at others. Took awhile for her to accept anyone with a tan or darker skin.

I am extremely cautious with anyone petting my Sheena now, after my experience with Troy (who was a pound dog found in the streets) even tho' the vets say Sheena is the best and Wag Hotel says she is the greatest! She does have her moods at times and I don't let anyone pet her if it's a hot day or it's at the end of her walk. Sometimes she just wants to be left alone, like me. Some people she doesn't like instinctively and will growl. Plus don't challenge her by looking straight into her eyes ever! Only I can do that! Sheena is extremely protective of me and our possessions and watches the door all day, except when she's snoring...which is most of the time at her age now. lol

So, maybe like us, chows don't like some people, pick up on things about the person and instinctively don't trust them and don't want them to do something as personal as petting them unless they've gotten to see/know them better. I've found that all chows are so different. Chows and even people that are more discriminating about who they want in their space, are independent, intelligent, quiet/don't bark much, like a lot of alone time and not into being in groups or a part of a team, guard their territory, speak their minds when needed only, are usually ostracized and considered dangerous just because they are not like other dogs/people. That which people don't understand becomes something to be suspicious of or dangerous.
Jennifer & Sheena
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Sadly, Chow Chow's can feel when somebody does not like them. So she will probably be aloof to your MIL. Cam Atis is right though, do not force your MIL to accept your baby in her territory that will just cause unnecessary friction and her negative behavior will put your chowling on edge. recipe for disaster! Invite MIL to your house instead and have dog socialize with her a little at a time.