Lola being dirty on furnitute

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Lola being dirty on furnitute

Post by TyChowgirl »

Two items of advice. Sometimes Ty would wait to go until I had jumped in the shower even if I took him out right before. I brought him inside with me so I could stop or catch him in the act or kennel him. It's okay right now to bring her with you. The independence can be worked on when she has control of her bladder and you can trust her to be by herself. If you have to leave, kennel her for little bits at a time. It'll help the separation anxiety. Like someone said, I think you're over thinking it. Some of it is trial and error, some is knowledge put into action gained from outside sources like reading material or like this forum.
Item two, Nature's miracle urine defender and some pet odor febreeze (and time to air out) will help your poor couch. Sad to say I had a similar incident once, though I think it was half directed at our oldest cat. Ty wasn't allowed on the couch, the cats are. Tulio, the oldest of all three of my animals, refused to budge (I wasn't here for this, I'm just recounting what my husband said he witnessed and filling in the blanks) despite Ty barking at him. So I guess at one point while we were both not present, Ty jumped up onto the couch and "claimed" it. I tried everything I read online, but to no avail because of the enzymes in the pee. A friend recommended the nature's miracle and so I bought a huge bottle, soaked the cushions, and let them air out and dry outside. Thankfully it was a hot summer day with a slight breeze. I febreezed it later to ge the nature're miracle smell to calm down. It's good now. It will also discourage her from "marking" it again.
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

Hi judy
She could come upstairs and hoping one day she will but at the minute she likes to pee on beds as well plus as I said small place and I put boxes on the stairs so the cats have some peace away from Lola if need be but once she got out of peeing and we move to bigger house and I do done rooms where cats have time out Lola can go upstairs with me as well
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

My two have the run of the house, but they know they are supposed to keep out of the dining room and stay off the Persian rugs and the furniture. All that is done by training, lots of training and patience. I think Judy Fox is on to something there. When I lived in Savannah, it was just me and the animals in the house. Closing the bathroom door was really not an option. The litter box was in there, and my cat was fascinated by running water. He was going to be there to observe any shower. When you are there and are able to keep an eye on her, let her go upstairs and see what happens. She is letting you know that she is displeased when you go upstairs without her. Maybe if she sees that you are going up stairs to "stand in the rain," she will learn that your going upstairs is not anything of real interest or concern for her and she will be comfortable being left alone downstairs while you are upstairs. Chows have "chow logic" and it is different from human logic. To her, her actions are perfectly reasonable, and she cannot understand why you don't "get the message" only neither you or the rest of us have a good idea what she is trying to say.
I am glad that you are using the newspaper to get her attention with the cat. I believe you will get there. It takes time and effort. Yesterday, Malachi obeyed a "stay" command. I think that is a first for him, and he is 4 1/2 years old!
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Judy Fox is right Lola should be allowed to go every where in the house. Is she able to go up an down the stairs on her own?
I never encouraged Chow No. 2 to climb the stairs, I always carried him up and down to the spare tub upstairs for his bathing. Only once do I remember him going up two out door flights of stairs when traveling, there was a sudden rain storm and he did not want to get wet. The next day the weather had cleared and he refused to go down the steps, so the Emperor was carried down. Chow No.3 followed me every where, she slept on her pillow next to my bed, always facing me. When I traveled with the pack, No.3 always slept on the other bed in the double bed hotel room with her head on the pillow facing me. I think Lola is a shadow Chow like Judy Fox's two and like Tychowgirl said is showing anxiety when you go up stairs without her. Everyone has a shadow and you should have two, let Lola find out what is going on upstairs night and day. When Lola goes up the Cats can go down.
A person can pick up some interesting tips on these Forums, thanks Rio for starting the Maintenance commercial. I was beginning to think Tan's sofa must be like a saturated sponge by now. As Ursa's Daddy says they have many different ways of expressing themselves.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Tan160581 wrote:Just recently Lola being dirty if I leave her like if I go upstairs and font take her I come back down and she has weed on the sofa when I come down I tell her off and she doesn't care I put her in the bathroom and leave her there she doesn't care - y has she started this all of a sudden ??
I don't know Lola's background, but what she is doing is "marking", and this is very very typical behaviour from dogs who have lived or were brought up in cramped spaces. { Like at a puppy mill - where they need to define their space, no matter how small it may be} . She needs to learn to only "go" outside. It may take a while but she can learn. Obviously don't let her up on the furniture, use baby gates if you have to and put her out regularly, stay out with her until she "goes" { and that may take a long time so be prepared to stay out there }, and reward, reward, reward when she does. Until she's house clean you need to either umbilical her to you or certainly deny her access to areas that she soils in when you are not there to supervise.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Hayley92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hayley92 »

Does she literally get up, squat and pee? if shes not getting up to pee she might be becoming incontinent and it might not actually be her fault?!
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

Hi everyone

My sofa is drenched so put boxes on there to let it dry then I use biological powder and wash and that dry on advice if the trainer I got

Lola was kept outside in a kennel with puppies but not mum or dad

Yep she goes on sofa squats and wees and then jumps down she only does it of I'm upstairs but when I had trainer here I was shocked she jumped on sofa looked at him and me and squated and weed in front of us and then jumped down and since he been she got worse does it when I am there hence y boxes on sofa so now does it beside sofa it's a total nitemare

Also when we took her round my partners mums she never had accident been clean well last night she weed 3 x on the floor one after the other

But then other times she clean as can be goes on paper and outside so don't know why she does it when she chooses

Now I'm upstairs and Lola as she can't get on sofa to pee is now squeaking usually she doesn't do that as just pees on sofa and then sits in kitchen y is that do u think

As u said could take her upstairs but its my cats safe haven for time being plus may be dangerous as we hope to move soon and all boxes it's hard for me to get around let alone get where cats more agile and love the agility course x
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Lola is sending a message that she is displeased with the current situation. You have gotten the message, now you have to find out what specifically she is protesting. If it is not being allowed up stairs with you, which it currently appears to be the issue, why not put her on a short leash and take her upstairs when you go upstairs. When you take a shower, you can simply close the door with her inside with you. I always talk to mine, especially in situations where they might be uncertain, so maybe you should sing in the shower. ;) My guess is that she recognizes the uncertainty with the goods being packed away in boxes and is looking for reassurance from you.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Tan160581 wrote: Lola was kept outside in a kennel with puppies but not mum or dad
That is probably where her behavioural issues stem from, her being separated from her mother way too early. Her mom couldn't teach her much in the short time they had together, and it probably caused her separation anxiety.

So the trainer wasn't helpful at all? :(
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Code: Select all

Yep she goes on sofa squats and wees and then jumps down she only does it of I'm upstairs but when I had trainer here I was shocked she jumped on sofa looked at him and me and  
There you have it. She's marking, and claiming territory. This is a behaviour she learned from being corralled with her siblings.
The fix is the same as I mentioned above.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

It continues to sound exactly like the responses have said. Territorial marking, and a display of displeasure with being left out. She needs to learn her place. Forbid the couch. She cannot be allowed on it unsupervised. You can deal with the attitude in a couple different ways. Either take her with you or limit her space while she is away from you. Thats your choice. Bottom line is, she is 1-upping the current situation.
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

Well I kept her off sofa for 2 days with boxes on top and scribed with biological powder and soon as the sofa dry and took off boxes she goes wee straight away on sofa my dog trainer said she wouldn't if I do that

He told me to buy her a plastic bed with high sides so she feel secure but she likes a hard floor but I brought anyway and she pees in that

And then I took her upstairs yesterday to be with me and soonest opp she gets she pees on my bed I really don't know what to do I always read chows will not pee where they live as clean
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

This has totally got me beat! :?
I have never experienced such behaviour from a puppy or a grown dog so I have no suggestions to make other than confine her in the kitchen with a stair-gate.
Then if you do confine her in the kitchen where she cannot wet on furniture and it is easier to clean up you can bide your time until you move and she will then have more space and a garden to run in. :|
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

Judy I'm counting down the weeks til we move I'm just hoping in a way course we are in a small space but only time wil tell when we move

She has started to wee round friends houses and she has never done that before and in the car she sits on my lap and now wees on me in the car even through I take her for a wee before we go
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Do you know Tania - I think you need another visit to the vet - all this urine does not seem to me to be normal. If your vet is not too helpful, try another vet.
This is really not how chow puppies behave and I cannot understand it. As I said it has got me absolutely stumped! :?
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

Well I must really love Lola paid a white van man to get rid of sofa more space in house I have to sit on floor now but more space and training man said will get her out of habit of weeing on sofa

She on antibiotics once course finished taking her another check x
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

@Tan
this is realy getting weird now. As Judy said I also never came accross a puppy with that kind of behavior. No UTI, no small space can explain that for me. Chows are not claustrophobic nor transphorms UTI them into permanent weeing monsters. There is something fundamentally wrong with Lola and neither you, nor the Vet or your
new trainer seem to even get closer to what is causing it. Can't believe that the trainer suggested to remove the couch. From a hygenic point of view this is okay, but you don't remove the problem of Lola by removing the furnitures.
That's complete nonsense.
May I ask what made you choose a Chow?
Either you're telling not the whole story or you need a new vet a new trainer and still more assertiveness towards Lola. I don't hear a single word about active disciplining her. I hear a lot of passive activities. Putting barriers, putting her away.
Did you ever try to put her in her space by blocking her, simulating a dog bite to her neck area?
I was hoping your trainer would teach you some alpha dog behavior, so Lola will realize she has a pack leader. If you can't fulfill that role soon I suggest you find a good home for her before she will become a problematic adult.
Last edited by Pinoy51 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

Hi

No Lola being good now she sit and stay then she gets food or a walk or play or attention
She 50 percent better with cats and 70 percent better with biting it was just the urine

However I had my friends pup come to stay a bulldog 8 months old and she been completely different hardly wees and normal drinking and been running and playing with him all evening and this morning and when she does go to wee either on paper or outside I'm shocked

I do have a dog but she is 3 going on 93 and just likes to sleep and very dainty and not interested in Lola do u think I should get her a playmate once I moved into my new home ??
As change is unbelievable
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

This story gets weirder all the time. If this is the case of her not peeing or having accidents just because another dog was there the first thing that comes to mind is she is not content with the attention and stimulation that she is receiving. Maybe you should reevaluate your daily activities with her. I would not take on a new pup until you get Lola 's issues figured out.
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

I'm with Lola all day but work from home so can't play with her all the time but I am here for her and in evening I play with her but ever since I had her she has loved animals and wants to play but rough and noone been interested and get ratty and turn to bite her and my dog very delicate

But since we had this puppy here she hasn't wet on floor, gone on paper and I done a wee chart she been 13 times today usually been about double that by now I think cause she got someone to play and rough and tumble I won't get a puppy yet I couldn't but I just can't believe how well she's behaving so something is making her happy
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

I agree with you, it sounds like a pet companion makes her very happy and you should definitely get her a friend once you've moved house!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Just a thought, and i have run against this with other dogs. I dont think this is the case with lola based on your description of how she looked at your trainer before weeing...but consider that all of her events occur on padded locations. She may be confusing outdoor, grassy areas with indoor spots. If there are no incidents on hard surfaces, ie tile or wood floors, its something to consider.

Otherwise, make sure that you are removing all remnants of previous incidents. This can be tough. If any odor remains, its like an invitation to go there again. I really think you need to keep Lola off of the furniture...Sofa, bed, whatever. Whether she is confused or defiant, if she isn't allowed up, the incidents cant happen.

If it's truly marking, i find it unusual in a female. I have an intact male who will mark every vertical object he comes across, and will attitude mark a few certain spots at time. If there is no medical cause (uti or similar), i too am at a loss on this one.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Am I the only one who is getting this frustration.
Many people including me are talking about discipline, affection and play, and it has to come exactly in this order to train a Chow puppy into a socialized adult dog. Now, one can debate what exactly discipline is and what are the methods to enforce it, how much affection is needed to get good training results and how much,rough etc. to play.
But there has to be order to prevent chaos. Play and love will not be able to substitute it.
Proper amount of affection can substitute discipline, if the dog is naturally submissive, like Sandy one of my rescues.
The last thing she needed was discipline as she was a scared, shy puppy. But scared and shy unfortunately isn't one of the character features of a ChowChow. Dominant, stubborn, intelligent and protective are the some of the features of this breed.
All I'm reading still is "play", "play again", "makes her happy", "love", "running around with other dog", etc.
Where is the discipline, where is the proper training routine, the follow through on commands etc.
Am I the only one thinking that this is nothing but a case of confused Chow puppy looking for a pack leader and going bonkers because no-one is setting any firm boundaries, even the feeding ritual gets interrupted by someone in that household, who thinks it isn't necessary ?
Behaving properly with another dog around, is just showing that she can copy proper behavior of course and the other dog seems to be more accepted as a role model than the owner.
She is a highly intelligent Chow, trying to run the show, maybe mixed with some UTI, so it get's completely confusing.
Imagine this: she chasing cats, biting the owner and peeing non-stop on surfaces, furnitures even on the owner.
If this isn't a completely confused dog, I don't what-else it is.
Summary: if this puppy isn't getting any clear direction how to behave properly, anything can happen and it will get worse the older she gets. I don't think moving in a bigger space will solve the issue. My prognosis it might even get worse, as new spaces will be defined by her according to her assessment. Why shouldn't she look for the new sofa in the new place, the bed and the carpets which can be confused with grassy areas. Just because she can run around in larger circles now ?
Anyway this isn't going anywhere, I'm officially giving up.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

No! Education and socialization is never done too early! If your chow happened upon a group of dogs anywhere, she'd have to go to their school, from the moment she arrived. They would insist upon it, lay down their law of what is acceptable and not acceptable, and would be willing to employ and defend their constitution. They wouldn't give her time to "be prepared". School starts from the moment this entity comes into your life be it at home or abroad. Dogs live in the moment, so it's up to you to be consistently capable, calm and able no matter where you are and no matter what you are doing together with your companion. THAT is what makes a whole lot of difference in how your dog will accept, adapt or not adapt to new challenges.
Found this blog from Merlin in another blog about a Chow with some aggression issues. I was about to say "Amen" after I read it.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Like Rory's Dad, I wonder if Lola is truly housebroken yet, and has a firm grasp on the whole inside-outside situation. If not, more training is required.