limping

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

myboys
Rank 0
Rank 0

limping

Post by myboys »

Last March, both my boys had to treated for a tick borne disease....for the life of me, I can't remember which form. Anyway they were treated with antibiotics. Their symtoms: tired, vomiting and my Sundance limped.
They took the meds for 3 weeks and they were not scheduled for a re-check (originally they had had blood work done).

In August, Sundance started limping again.....much more pronounced. I took him to the vet thinking he had injured himself. Nope, the doc said he needed to go back on the antibiotic because he wasn't over that tick disease (not lyme). Took that for 3 more weeks...fine for awhile.

Now here we are in mid-October and Sundance is limping again. Having some difficulty going up and down stairs, etc. I've called the vet's office and asked for him to call me to see what we should do next. Maybe this time, he REALLY did hurt his leg or MAYBE chows are more prone to joint pain than other breeds. Can you help me with that?

Butch, by the way......has been fine since the first treatment =D=
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: limping

Post by kitten1426 »

How old is he?...did you ever have him X-rayed to make sure he didnt hurt him self our female chow was limpimg and having a hard time getting up..long story short. she isnt even 2 yet Bad hip dyslisia and arthitis in both hips..She just had FHO surgey...now we keep an close on our Male chow to make sure he doesnt get it...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
myboys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by myboys »

He'll be four in a couple of weeks....I think your right. Why wait to discuss it over the phone...he should have an xray.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Our vet X-rayed our chow without putting her under...did it while we waited they had the result in mintues...then we went to go see a specailist that week then 2 weeks later she went into surgery...she is home now and on the road to recovery...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Maybe you should also get the cruciates checked as they dont show up on Xrays if you are ruling out all joint problems. Chows are quite prone to cruciate injury. Hope it turns out to be curable with antibiotics. Let us know how you get on.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I'm no vet, and have not seen this in chows particularly, but it sounds and aweful lot like Lyme Disease. My brother has two English Toy Spaniels that were infected, and the symptoms come and go like you described.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

I also heard un-treated they go blind?..dont know if thats true tho
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

That doesn't seem a terribly helpful statement :?
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Did the Vet say Ehrlichiosis? that is one infection you can get from the brown tick, and other things too.( fleas bites and other ticks) It has similar symptoms of lymes but is not the same disease. It also can have reoccurring symptoms. Call your vet they will probably want to know this! If that is what they had?
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Sirchow wrote:That doesn't seem a terribly helpful statement :?
I was simply just saying thats what i heard is it true?
VTCHOW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by VTCHOW »

Has this issue been resolved? My chow has been limping for about a month now. Took her to vet this week she had a temp. of 104, vet says probably a tick born infection so he did blood work. Blood work came back negative waiting on urine results. Was told to keep here on antibiotics if still limping by Mon. bring her in for xrays. Despite blood work being negative vet still confident that its an infection. We''ll see.
VTCHOW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by VTCHOW »

Urine test all good, next my vet suggested Xrays if still limping after 3 more days. Well what you know, she's still limping! Did xrays today two bad hips and one acl tear. Not buying the acl tear. Been through bad hips on my other chow two Total Hip Replacements one in each leg, both THR failed!! ended up having to do FHO's on both hips. Each time we went to vet (same vet) to get xray he came back with its a Knee issue. Never did anything with knee just hips and now he's fine. I think I have some experience in this matter and I'm the one that lives with and see's the problem. To top things off vet tried to give me Rymadil and prednisone (which is a no no) not having much faith in my vet! At least Sadie is home and resting well.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I am sorry to hear all the troubles are still there and you have this diagnoses. I wonder if you have another vet you could change to that you might be able to work with. I have been through this with some of ours so know how hard it is to see them limping and in pain. I was given some help here by a previous member when my chow Bramble was a five month puppy and tore both cruciates. She was too young for surgery. I was pointed to a Yahoo group for concervative management and I got Bramble completely sound on it but then she reinjured chasing a rabbit and had to have surgery at the age of two. I am not sure how old Sundance is or whether surgery is a rout you want to go but if I can help in any way please PM me.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Knee and joint issues certainly can be a problem. Also ligaments, so it can be tough to get a good diagnosis.

We have an almost 16 month old male chow. Both parents have passing joint tests. He 1st sprained a knee jumping off our couch. Symptoms from that cleared after about a week to ten days. He came up lame again a couple months later and the vet attributed that to a cartiledge issue that she felt he would outgrow as the growth plates solidified and came together.

He is now back to not using the rear leg again. We have wood floors and he scrambles at any sound or activity. I think he hyper-extends the leg each time he races to the door. It will generally go away in a few days, but it seems he plays it up a bit too. No temp issues or anything like that. I think we need to rethink our flooring.