Itching finally stopped !

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jdcell100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Itching finally stopped !

Post by Jdcell100 »

Little bear our 75 pound 2 yr old blue chow started itching back in July took him to vet put him on steroid and antibiotic cleared up very fast. After about 3 weeks off meds started up again. So back to vet was worried about keeping him on steroids. Vet said we had a few options. Besides switching his food there a med called atopica vet said it works very good (not a steroid) keep him on it everyday for a month the goal then is to get him down to twice a week it's pretty expensive but I would pay anything to keep little bear happy. Vet said we should wait on that route she said let's keep him on a steroid every3 days and in between zyertec. She Sid he would be fine on steroids we would just have to o blood work. To check his enzymes she asked what shampoo we use we use head and shoulders she said that's fine. We had a very good expieriance at the vet yesterday
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: Itching finally stopped !

Post by Victory »

I hate to burst your bubble, but first Steroids are NOT good for him in any way. They reduce his bodies immune system, can, (will) cause diabetes if he's on them too long and actually don't solve what ever issue is causing the itching. Being on steriods may seem to cure the issue, but after he's off them the problem will come back and be far worse.

Second, why not switch food? It is simpler, easier on your chow's health and has a far greater chance of success than antibiotics and streoids. Many, many people on this sight whose chows had skin issues switched foods and the issues cleared right up. Many others feed a carefully selected food with no corn, wheat, preservatives, artificial dyes etc and never have a problem with skin issues. Even for humans with skin issues, and or other health issues changing to a healthy diet is highly recommended these days.

Lastly, never ever use a human shampoo on a dog, especially one as strong as Head N Shoulders, the ph is all wrong. If you can't find a good dog shampoo, then use baby shampoo only. If you are using Head N Shoulders, that is quite possibly the issue right there, it is stripping his skin of all the natural oils, making him itchy, once he starts scratching the situation gets worse and becomes infected.

Personally during this bout of steroids, I would switch to a good food, stop all bathing and give a good complete brushing daily. This will stimulate blood flow to the skin and correct oil production and distribution. I would continue with the food and brushing after the steroids have stopped, and I would carefully observe for any allergens, it can be as simple as dust mites, evergreen dust, or any other human allergen.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

I agree with Victory on the shampoo, dog shampoo for dogs. I bathed my second Chow a Male, every six to eight weeks. He never had a hot spot, but what bacteria could survive on that drought stricken body. A Kennel owner once told me his coat felt as dry as straw. I changed his shampoo and extended the times between baths, flakes on skin went away. I now bath my Chows every three to four months with oat meal and clear puppy shampoos.
I also brush them between baths two to three times a month, more during the biannual shedding.
I keep them limited to the times on the grooming table because they get stressed, each for their own reasons.
My first Chow, a Female was put on Steroids by a Vet a family member had taken her to. I later found out when I took the above mentioned Chow number two to the same Vet for flakey skin that over use of Steroids is what may have been one of the factors contributing to her cancer and death. :evil: :cry: O:)
Jdcell100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jdcell100 »

I appreciate yr comments but I didn't just take it upone my self to administer steroids I had same concers about steroids that you said but a veterinarian that I have confidence in advised me. He's on blu buffloe fish and duck vet said he can go on a prescription food but she said with chows and she sees a lot of them precentege is very low that it would work. Taking a steroid every 3 days and doing blood work every3 months there shouldn't be a problem. And she recommended head and shoulders. And in between the days he dosent take the steroid we can give him zyertec
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

I do not agree on the Head and shoulders, you need to nourish the skin with an ALOE based shampoo and fish oil capsules in his food.Some like Oatmeal shampoos also.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

As always in life things are not as easy as they seem.
Simba was itching on dog shampoos and is doing just fine now with ..... "Head and Shoulders" so does Nala.
Key is rinsing, rinsing, rinsing more than the shampoo itself. They both take a shower once a week.
I always use more water then I feel it necessary, just to ensure there is absolutely no shampoo left on the skin.

Now for steroids vs proper food, my judgement is on proper food. No wheat and in general less grain was clearing up Simba's itching for good. Being on steroids for prolonged period of time can't be good no matter how little risk the vet sees in it. And of course there is no elimination of root cause by using steroids. So there is a big chance that the itchiness comes right back once the steroids are out of the body.
Best regards
Pinoy51