General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

When your chow gets wet

Post by Tan160581 »

Hi

I'm in the uk and its pouring with rain and when she goes to wee her belly gets soaked so far I rub her with a towel to get excess wetness of her but do you think I should blow dry her with hair dryer but then I would be doing that every half a hour as she still weeing a lot with suspected urine infection

What do u do when weather horrible x
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: When your chow gets wet

Post by kitten1426 »

I would just wipe her with a towel thats what we do when its raining and they come in..No problems...But im sure you will ghet different opinions...My wife grew up with them..Her parents Raised and showed them..for yrs...So she takes care of our 2 chows...they seem in great health..she brushes them,bathes them,trims there nails...etc...so I trust what she does with ALL our dogs...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

I'm in the UK too - just dry her with a towel.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Just towel drying is good enough. Unless she lays down and soaks herself it's only the outer coat that is wet. With a puppy coat that can seem pretty wet, but believe me when or if she gets soaked to the skin you will notice the difference as it will take HOURS for her to dry.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Cant believe this weather Tan160581 :(

I presume you are worrying because of her suspected UTI. If she just nips out quickly and in again I agree a good wipe down with a towel should be fine. If she like Isla likes to lie out on the soaking slabs and soak it up then she needs to be dried off a bit better. Probably best not to let her get wet and chilled undernieth till you get to the bottom of her problems.

You could get her an all in one coat for longer trips outside in this weather.
http://www.k9active.co.uk/Pro-Overalls- ... 000pro.htm
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Just a good rub with a towel. If it is very wet I also wipe their paws. They stand as good as gold while I lift one paw at a time. :D I also keep the fur between their pads trimmed to stop unnecessary dampness.
I love the waterproof all-over coat Siriol. Just trying to work out how to get Matilda and Maisie into one! :roll:
Red ones would be nice with royal blue wellingtons. :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

The world is throwing some of its worst at you and your Puppy. I have to commend you for staying on it. Did the Vet give you pills for her? The antibiotics will increase their need to wet. I wonder if she may be also trying a little domination on you by asking to go out so much, just a thought.
You can also make a rain coat for her out of a plastic rubbish bag. Cut off one corner on the closed end and slit the side opposite the side you cut the corner off; length wise. You now have two sides open. Trim off some for length and height to fit her. Use the long trimmed piece as a belt around her tummy to keep the wind from blowing it up over her head. Humans can be smart like their Chows. :lol:
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

I have two Chows, male and female, and they just don't like getting wet. If it's raining, I have trouble getting them outdoors to go. My back door has a large rubber mat and when it rains, there's standing water. They won't walk through the water. They're saying, "Oh NO, I can't get my feet wet!" A hunting dog would plow right through that and think nothing of it. Chows aren't water dogs, especially mine. They can be funny. They're tough, they're muscular but, don't get me wet.
Gene.
Gene
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

I have two, quite different chowpups. Leo HATES the water and will only dash quickly out to wee then quickly zooms back in, sliding across the floor in an attempt to stop. Max, however, the big lug, will literally sit down outside like nothing else is going on. He'll look up at the sky like, "Oh yeah, is that the best you've got?!?!?!" Eventually, he'll come in although I'm sure it's more because brother is inside. They both get a good towel drying and I'm glad I don't have carpet because I would blow them dry. Neither will walk through puddles, although Max is the brave one who has been in both Pigeon River and Otsego Lake. He's very curious about running water. Leo wouldn't go near it with a ten foot pole. ((Oh how I love the uniqueness of the boys!!!))
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Cherriemater, that sounds like my two. If it is raining, I have to let Ursa out the porch door so she can stand by the doggie door and pick the time when she wants to dash out. She will just get off the pavers to go, then dash back in. Malachi will saunter out the breezeway door across the deck and take his time walking far out into the fenced yard. He is also in no rush to come back in.