Single or Double

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Delilah
Rank 0
Rank 0

Single or Double

Post by Delilah »

I have a question for all you Chow Chow lovers. I have the most adorable 4 year old Cinnamon Chow Chow called Delilah. I grew up with two chows (a beautiful Red Chow named Tiffany and a sweet Cream Chow named Peaches.) Here is my dilemma...do I get Delilah a brother? My little girl is so sweet (and spoiled) I don't want her to change! Any advise?
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Single or Double

Post by Sarahloo »

Why would she change? It would be fun for her to always have a playmate around!
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

After I got SImba 6 months ago, I knew he needed a girl friend. He was so desperate trying to convince our twelve year old dog ladies to play with him or Chibi our cat, with no success at all. So I found Nala a couple of weeks ago, and this was the best decision I took. It is a whole different "ball game" seeing this two enjoying Chow-time together and until now it is all about playing. Once both are grown up I can imagine they will be able to share many more experiences. Guess there are many more double Chow owners with grown ups who can comment on that.
Clear thumbs up from me for two Chows.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I personally will never have only one chow again. I had two alone and they weren't happy, always trying to find me, or barking constantly etc. When I got Darkwind, he was pretty good, until I started back to school too and then he wasn't happy so I got Firesong as a companion and they were both happy and I could be gone to work and then school without any seperation issues. When Darkwind passed away, Firesong's behavior started to change, I got Dreamdancer and she's fine. If one of them passes I will be getting another...though I really hope this will be a long time from now.

Dogs, even chows, are pack animals and they aren't really happy being alone. So unless you can be with her 24/7 365 I vote you get a little brother for her.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

I wouldnt be without Humphrey and I dont think Fozz would either - despite the fact that he bites her face-fur and steals her bones and torments her and pushes her out of her favourite sleeping spot and chews her toys etc etc.
I think it is lovely to have two chows together - I love watching them play and leave them alone without worry. I dont think it would change your girls sweet nature one bit to have a brother.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Lily and Dillon are great together. He adores her and she loves to be his (tor)mentor. He is damaged socially because he had almost no human contact his first year, but he finds courage and confidence through his Lily, and even when she gets a little testy with him, he and she forget quickly and it's back to being besties.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

One of these days I'll add another chow to my household, but as of right now to keep Ty from getting too lonely or bored we spend a lot of time going out in our community( we have a dog run ) to hang out with the neighbors and their dogs (his buddies) or go to the dog park. When you live in a city atmosphere, especially a dog friendly one and find you can't have another dog, there are ways to curb not having a second to keep your one happy, socialized, etc. If you have the space for one and your dog is open to another to your household, I vote yes!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I would say two chows are an excellent idea. When we got our first chow Milly she was lovely and when she was six months old I was talking to the owner of her sire. She told me that she had Milly's litter sister and needed to find another home for her. As we had only just lost my daughter's old Llasa Apso, we talked about it and telephoned her back and asked if we could buy her. We drove over to pick her up and took Milly with us. When they met they cried and licked each other and obviously remembered each other and Milly was so happy to see the other chows in the house. We brought her home and called her Mabel and they were absolutely devoted to each other. It was lovely to see.
When Milly died three years ago we immediately started to look for another chow as Mabel was broken hearted. We found a litter due soon after Milly died and when the litter was 8 weeks old we brought out Matilda home - 3 months later, amazingly her breeder told us she had Matilda's litter sister and needed a home for her so we did the same thing and brought Maisie home. She and Matilda recognised each other and love each other so much.
We have never so much as heard a growl between either pair of sisters.
Old Mabel was pleased when baby Matilda arrived and even more so when Maisie arrived and they loved her. Maisie especially would go and tell her when dinner was ready. When Mabel died a few weeks ago Matilda and Masie obviously missed her and kept looking for her, again, especially Maisie. They were very quiet for weeks and would go and look for her. They seem to have got over it but of course they have each other.
So I think chows do benefit from one of their own kind. They do not smell like other dogs - their coats have a lovely smell. I read somewhere that other dogs either don't like them or they just ignore them. We have looked at this idea and have noticed over the years that when we are out with them that this is generally true.
Also they have their own unique way of talking to each other with their lovely huffs and harrumphs and mutters. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I'll always have 2 chows (mixes). Our first chow, Cinder, we had alone. He didn't much seem to care from what I remember, but then again he also didn't get the socialization he needed. My second chow, Tippsy, live her entire life with other dogs of various breeds (mini poodle, mini schnauzer, 3 poms, yorkie, boxer, min pin, ans chihuahua) but she never showed a connection to any of them really, until we brought Jasper and then Dixie home. And now I still have Dixie and Jasper (chow mixes) and a pom, but I've already decided that once one of them passes, which is hopefully really far off, I'm gonna get another chow.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

By luck, I got my first chow, Ursa. She was ok alone, but she had not been properly socialized and really needed some help. When she was about a year old, I was at the animal shelter and spotted ball of fur there. It was a chow. I filled out the paperwork, brought Ursa there to meet him. He was named Malachi and was the favorite of the staff, so he was well socialized. They quickly became a team. Ursa is the alpha chow, but is very reserved in public. Malachi loves to meet people, and he gives Ursa a lot of confidence. I cannot imagine having just one chow.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

We have a female chow and a Male chow..also a male Airedale...and a Male Collie..lol..so i say YES..go for it...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Two ... by all means two! I cannot imagine not have Leo or not having Max. They are brothers from the same litter and they are so comical together. They have two VERY different personalities but they are a compliment to one another. My favorite is when one of them is sleep-barking, the other will go up and lick the sleepers ear to say, "It's okay. I'm here for you!"

Conversely, I loved Kimba when she was alive. When Joe and I got married, he had Rocky (a dutch long-haird shepherd) and Kimba was the Alpha. Shortly after we got married Rocky was hit by a car, I lost my job and Kimba and I spent all our time together. This was the way in which she grew to accept me ... but she went through so many changes being alone. We had hoped to bring a pup into her life to "liven" her up a bit but, sadly, she passed before we could do that. Seeing her change so dramatically was the reason, when we had the opportunity, we got two. They are such a blessing. Especially because Leo has picked Joe and Max has picked me. It's fascinating to see Leo go where Joe is when we are both home together, and Max goes where I am. I can't even describe how my heart swells at the love they give to us.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Like you Martie, our two girls have chosen - Matilda is Fred's girl and Maisie is mine. We think this is because when Tilly had been with us for three weeks I became very ill with arthritis and I could not do anything for her - I could barely stroke her so she depended totally on Fred. Fred used to pick her up onto our bed when I was in bed and I had a little snuggle with her and when I was up I would talk to her but he did everything for her. When they were five months old Maisie who is Matilda's litter sister came to live with us and we don't think she liked men because she hated Fred and would growl at him and come and sit by me pushed right into my legs. By this time I was more mobile and could do things for them.
Fred did the right thing and just totally ignored her. It took several weeks before she approached him and he stroked her and from then on it just got better. Now she adores him but she is still my girl and Tilly loves me - I know she does but she is Daddy's girl.
They are different even though they are litter sisters and they love each other and will kiss each other. They both loved old Mabel too and would kiss her, especially Maisie who would go and lie with her.
They are such a pleasure to have. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Delilah
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Delilah »

Thank you all for the encouraging advise. I notified a breeder this morning! I'll keep you posted. :D
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

While most of us will NOT admit that our chows are dogs (dirty word in our home), they are pack animals and, while we can supply the pack for them, they love having a friend of their very own. We've had a single chow and we've had two at a time and I will NEVER be without two again. Think of it as double the pleasure, double the fun!!!