General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

How can I show dog I'm boss and protect cats

Post by Tan160581 »

Hi all

Well I done everything u guys suggested if Lola attacks cats put her in floor and cat on top if her she doesn't care, I ignored her she doesn't care and put her away in another room and she barks while in there but when she comes back continues what she started

She's got very rough with cats now barks growls at them and now chases them and gets by the neck very viciously I can't desperate cats as in open plan little house but moving to a bigger one end of November when I tell her off try to separate her from cats she goes for my face I get her mouth and close her jaw and say no and she just starts to try and shake me off she just doesn't care about anything

I rung some trainers to see if they could help ESP with the cats but as soon as I say chow they don't want to know or suddenly very booked up

I defo know she thinks she top dog and I have been softer with her as she ill with a urine infection or least we think that as urine test come back clear and so did blood so now treating her with 21 days of antibiotic tablets now and then go from there as she still drinking and weeing a lot

So be firm eith me tell me what I got to do as she only 11 weeks old so hopefully can get this cat obbession out of her x
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: How can I show dog I'm boss and protect cats

Post by kitten1426 »

You need to be alot firmer ....Take her and say NO!!!!! Our Male chow was 7 weeks old and a snoot when we got him My Wife put him in his place fast..if we didnt God only knows how bad he would have been..We have 4 dogs...2 chows and Airedale and a collie.And 4 cats ..so we had to be the Pack leader if not one of them would have gotten hurt...Our dogs love our cats..BECAUSE we taught them to...You need to be firmer stronger NO's My wife took Kodi our male chow when he was young and held him in her arms and did the Bite thing like Mommy dog does and SAID NO...he gotit after a few times....now we can give him a look and he does what he is told...him and our female chow both listen awesome...Its the Airedale that is a little crazy...lol...but we work with him everyday to make sure we stay Pack leader..he is a BIG boy 100 lbs plus...My point here is i dont think she thinks your the Pack Leader you have to make her KNOW that..then everything will fall into place....Good luck Oh yeah were are you located ??...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes - a lot firmer. What I suggest now is to really jump on her. she isn't going to be told is she. I never advocate smacking a chow but what we had to do with Matilda when she was a pupp ( she was like Lola and would not be told) - we rolled up a newspapere and when she was being difficult we would say NO! very firmly and smack the newspapere on the table, on the chair, settee and a few times she got topped round her knickers! She did not like it at all - it offended her dignity and she would sulk. The smacking the papeer down onto a table makes a noise but does no damage. A tap round her knickers will offend her but it won't hurt her and it is not the same as hitting her.
That is what we found anyway. Matilda would sit and glare at us and sulk but eventually she got the message. Now Maisie never needed that - she was a sweet pup and good as gold. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NanouetJon »

Consistency, You have to maintain the sames rules no matter who is in the house, and even when you are not there. If the pup will chase cats when you are not there, then you have to put your pup somewhere during those times where he won't have access to them.

Puppy is tough, it is tough, short attention spans and they have so much energy, each month it will get easier, a year from now you will have an angel and obedient chow chow. if you put the time in now.

We have used from time to time a water bottle. My chows never liked getting sprayed by it. So during an evening, I would see our puppy start sniffing around for trouble and then decided it was time to take things off end tables and tables. So I would give my warning verbally "NO!" if she continued then I would grab the spray bottle and give you a quick squirt. The insult was enough! This could go on for an evening or weeks. Now, I can leave steak on a table and walk away, they just know. But it takes consistent work, from everyone.

If you think he is headed for a cat, sniffing around a cat, sniffing a cats sleeping spot. All things related to cat needs to stopped. He needs to learn to ignore the cats, they are not his domain. And if he ever grabs, bites or paws a cat then he needs to be removed from the situation and understand this is not acceptable.

time and work are the solution
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I can't believe your cats are putting up with it. Sooner or later I can see them rounding on her and giving her a good swipe across her nose. Which could have one of two outcomes, she learns to respect the cats and lays off, or she goes super aggresive and really hurts one of them.

Like the others have said, you must be more firm and you must be more consistent. If she even looks at one of the cats, say NO, and make some other loud noise, Judy's suggestion of rolled up paper on a hard surface is very good. Even saying know and clapping your hands once loudly will do the trick. If she doesn't obey, then put her in her crate asap, no leniency at all, just pick her up and pop her into it. Ignore any barking, give her a good 10-20 minutes time out, (she needs it because she is stubborn and she's gotten away with it till now.) If she tries to bite you or mouth you at any time, time out immediately, yelp and put her into a time out.

We keep telling you this for a reason, if you don't do this now, by the time she is 8-10 months old she will own you and rule the house and then it will be bad. If you take over now, you will have a well behaved chow when she is older.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

Thanks for all your advice and I'm going to try rolled up paper and spray water if that doesn't work

I always say no clap my hands she just ignores and I fine the thing where I lay her on floor and I Eould put the cat over her or I go over her she didn't care and then we tried locking her in bathroom for 15mins but when she came out she was ready to start again eith more oomp in her

Only one cat will strike at her and Lola seems to enjoy this snd barks more the other cats are scared stiff and run when they see her which doesn't help so off she runs and jumps on top of then and gets round neck if I'm not there to intervene to long

She defo high spirited not scared of anyone or anything
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Dumb Question have you ever had a chow or is this your 1st one?...Not to offend you but i think your to easy to be owning a chow...I hate to say this but this 11 week old chow to me seems like pack leader...Maybe you need to try to seek some professional help...Like Victory said you need to get this under control before she gets older...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Ah the memories...we are down to a single pet household now (not counting the water frogs and the hamster), but the spray bottle was a life saver back when we had the two male chows. After a while, it didnt even need to be sprayed, just picking it up was enough to correct ANY behavior. We dont have much use for it anymore, but boy, it can be effective.

Was just pointing out to the wife how Rory completely ignores human voice if it doesnt suit him. He was outside barking at something and i called...nothing. So i tapped on the screen door, he turned and came in immediately. It's all about the trigger, and you cant take it personally.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Judy's suggestion with newspaper is excellent, and the water spray also works, but I am not sure a chow will respond to it, but if Rory's Dad made it work, I sure would give it a try. Like Victory, I also am surprised that your cats put up with it. As others have pointed out, YOU have to be the boss. Your puppy has a different idea, and YOU have to change that idea. Any dog that gets the idea she is in charge is a real pain. I have had dogs from a few pounds up to 120 pounds, and even a small dog that will not obey is a problem. Chows are wonderful dogs if they recognize you as the leader. If they don't recognize your leadership, then they are totally frustrating to deal with. Malachi does not truly see my wife as his superior, and when he wants to, he will mash her buttons and really frustrate her. We all know he is doing it just to defy her, and I can correct him and he will behave, but when he wants to frustrate her, he will. You have to make Lola understand through your voice and body language that you are the boss.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

The rolled paper really did work but it has to be used as if you mean it - not half heartedly. Lola is getting the better of you and she is getting away with it. She is beautiful and you love her and it would appear you don't want to upset her.
Get tough!
We called our rolled up paper "Bad Stick". We rolled a whole paper up and secured it with several rubber bands. It was used, as I have already said on the table, on a chair or settee, on a door or anything that made a noise. Matilda even had it wapped round her knickers - not hard but enough to humiliate her when she was being defiant! :shock:
In the end one of us only had to say, "Where is that Bad Stick!" and she would stop what she was doing.
Bad Stick has long since been assigned to the recycle bin and we have a well mannered Chow Chow lady in the house. But it took firmness and continuous desciplining her. She was a baggage and tried to push the limits for months. Maisie was a much easier girl to deal with - much easier.
So for goodness sake don't think you are being cruel or hard with her. Deal with her before she gets much older. She will still love you and indeed when she is grown and has become a lovely chow chow lady you will be proud of her. She will probably sulk and glare at you - tough - you are the boss and it is time she accepted that.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Judy, that is an excellent description of how it is done. It is also going to take a lot of repetition. Chows are hard headed and if they want to be stubborn, they can take it to the limit. Malachi knows he should not bowl his mother over going in and out the door. She will call, and he will amble up there like he is in no hurry, then when she opens the door slightly, he will burst on through. Definitely not acceptable. He knows the process. When he comes up to the door, he is supposed to leave some room. If he is too close, "back", repeated as many times as it takes, then "sit". I don't even touch the door handle, but typically will cross my arms to show that I am not in the mood for any silliness. Once he sits, "wait" and I reach for the door handle. If he gets up, I cross my arms. I am also good at checking the ceiling for possible cracks or spiders or whatever. When he sits, I say "wait", and reach for the door. If all goes well, I open the door, Malachi sits and waits, and then I can give him the signal to go. Kitty's (wife) thinks that this is too much time and effort. She rapidly looses interest is such games. You have to put up with the chows games to prove that you are the leader. Chows cannot operate door knobs, can openers or water faucets. They know you are needed to get these things done. NILF (nothing in life is free) They are smart enough to judge how much they can challenge you so that you will give in. (Chow intelligence is another recent topic.) And, if you are thinking of grabbing her to restrain her when she goes after the cat, grab a big handfull of that mane on either SIDE (not top). Her biological mother would do that if she was a puppy doing something inappropriate. It is something she will understand. Just a quick grab to get her attention, the follow with verbal commands.
-------------------------
A quick edit, right after I had posted this, Kitty calls me, "come make Malachi come in." I open the door, whistle, and step onto the deck. He zips right up the steps, no problem. They know what they are doing when they try you.
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

Hi everyone

Thanks so much for your advice I have been a little easy on her she been ill and I been ill but done as much as I can

She always sits before I give her food and she is fed last I feed my cats dog snd then her

She always sits while I put on her lead otherwise there are no walks

And my cats and I can go in her bowl if eating no good aggresion

What I need to up the anti on is

Lead she now use to it but walks in front - BUT she is on a extension lead and as I have no garden and I want her to use some if her excess energy and I want her to have fun and explore she uses extension to the max is that bad

On a normal lead she pulls and if I try to make her heel to me she kinda belly walks don't know why ??

Also I got to teach Lola when I go to bed I'm going to bed she seems to think I can go to bed when she says so but I do have neighbours that have complained when I done what you suggested ignore snd she be quiet which she usually is in 20 mins and then I have a odd 5 sec bark every 10mins but neighbours get annoyed by that

I got Lola used to strangers and other animals she loves dogs and people with dogs rushes up to them but doesn't like people without dogs gets nervous and backs up on lead got to work on that

ANd lastly the cats barking and chasing she still doing it but not as much yesterday snd I was using the newspaper method so fingers crossed thanks Julie x
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Sounds good but as Ursa's Dad sat it has got to be consistent - always - every time - not when you remember. You must not let up when you get a bit bored or fed up with the routine. It can get boring and you can think "Bloomin' heck, how long have I got to do this?" You have to do it for as long as it takes. You give it up after she has mended her ways! Little Moo! :lol:
In short - ensure she knows that you are the boss in everything - Little Moo! \:D/
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Tan160581 wrote:she runs and jumps on top of then and gets round neck if I'm not there to intervene to long
You cannot leave them alone together!!! There always needs to be a door or a baby gate protecting your cats while you aren't home. Even if you are just taking a shower!
Like I said before, put a (longer) leash on her and pull her back the second she shows signs of wanting to attack. Praise her for peaceful interaction with the cats, pull her back and scold her if she's trying to attack them. Like everyone else said, be consistent. She can never attack them again, so she might as well make her peace with it: that is the message you need to give her!
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Lead she now use to it but walks in front - BUT she is on a extension lead and as I have no garden and I want her to use some if her excess energy and I want her to have fun and explore she uses extension to the max is that bad

my answer is "yes". This is based on the other stories you're telling with Lola snapping at you and going cat hunting. I wouldn't take any chances right now to feed her leadership instinct. Walking on your side will also drain energy, and exploring is okay but when you allow it, between exploring has to be migration: a steady walk with you as pack leader in front.
Lola needs discipline all the time in order to accept you as her leader. Once that's done you can relax.
If she tries to plant her feed lift her up, using harness. Only if you're very calm you can try with neck leash and giving some upward pull to make her move. That will be more effective but requires you to be focussed and release tension the moment she moves or struggles. Never pull forward that will strengthen her resistance, pull upward. Simba learned leash walking in two days, Nala will start her official :) training soon, until now she still enjoys her walks around the house without any leash.
work on your calm, assertive energy towards Lola and your consistency that is more important than exploring different tools.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Pinoy51's suggestion about using the harness to pick up Lola when she resist is excellent. I did that with my two, and is just another reason I like harnesses. You can buy a leash that has two loops, on at the end, and one close to the clip. Using the short portion, you can make the dog walk by your side. If she tries to move ahead, the short lead and the harness will cause her to loose traction. The whole training routine is to make the dog learn that you are the leader.