Chows Not intelligent? Please.

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chows Not intelligent? Please.

Post by gebower »

They have done tests on many breeds and Chows are almost at the bottom of the list. Where the tests fail miserably is that Chows are regal in their attitude, they'll do the test IF they FEEL like doing them. That, unfortunately is mistaken for lack of intelligence. My wife and I actually have to spell words sometimes so my Chows don't know what we're doing because they seem to understand everything that we are saying. I would not put them at the bottom of the list, no way. They're pretty smart and learn a LOT of words as well as even anticipate everything we are going to do. Well, that's my opinion, call me biased but, I think Chows are intelligent.
Gene.
Last edited by gebower on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gene
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Chows Not intelligent? Please.

Post by Cocoa »

The problem with dog intelligence testing is that it is mainly based on level of obedience, no chow is going to do well on that kind of test. :lol: During a conversation with my vet (I really don't even remember what the subject was, probably something about obedience) her response was that chows are thinking dogs. I think that pretty much says it all.
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

Amen.
Gene
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blackbear »

My colleague at work has two poodles. She stuck a poster on my desk some time ago which had a picture of a chow with the caption "World's dumbest breeds"(friendly banter). Some time later we were at doggy event together where my boy was besieged with admirers and requests for photo opportunities and he was very well behaved unlike her two poodles. All I can say is I got even. lol.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

I have six dogs, two of them Chows. And whoever is the Vet, he or she brought it to the point, Chows are thinking dogs. They analyze a situation to the best of their abilities and then act. That of course is seen as dumb in standard obedience terms, because they don't jump the moment you want them too. I had to learn to talk and command less just interact with the Chows by body language. They understand much faster if you don't confuse them with talking.
my other guys like the "come", "sit" "good girl/boy" sequence.
Simba just needs a sound and me standing up making a hand sign to tell him to follow. If I stand-up without sound and sign he knows he should stay.
if we play I talk a lot, and they grunt, humph and yelp back :D
Best regards
Pinoy51
mavis
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mavis »

During a conversation with my vet (I really don't even remember what the subject was, probably something about obedience) her response was that chows are THINKING DOGS.
I totally agree with your Vet, Cococa! :D
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Chows are very intelligent! :D
Gene - Fred and I spell things out and the little madames have sussed that out - so that has gone!
As Cocoa sais her vet told her that Chow Chows are thinking dogs - that just about says it all.
You only have to see them having a mutter to each other and then go off to do, see or whatever the conversation was about.
Fred does the hand signals and they respond to him.
As has been said many times before, chows are chows, not dogs.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

Gene, We spell p-a-r-k, w-a-l-k, just so she doesn't beat us to the door. We walk everyday usually in the afternoon
and I have Maggie staring at me as to why we haven't started yet. Thats why we love these chows, they will come if they WANT to. And we all know when the Zoomies are coming don't we.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

All I know, is this is the first breed I have had that will poke me if they want something, and will act out 'charades' at the food and water dishes if they are empty and they need tending...
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NanouetJon »

Thinking Dogs - Yes. When people ask about my chows and the thinking part, I show them this example:

I will take Maddoxx and a ball. I will throw the ball and Maddoxx will go and get it. I throw it again and he looks at me and then lays down. " If you can't hold on to the ball, that is your problem chief"
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

I will take Maddoxx and a ball. I will throw the ball and Maddoxx will go and get it. I throw it again and he looks at me and then lays down. " If you can't hold on to the ball, that is your problem chief"
That is exactly what Buddy would do. :lol: Cocoa doesn't fetch at all, she plays like a cat, picks up her toys, squeaks them, tosses them in the air, bats them with her paws and pounces on them.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

All my chows, Milly and Mabel used to and Matilda and Maisie the same they throw their toys around and pounce on them and run round with them and they do lie and cuddle them.
But run and get a ball, not a chance. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

Ha,ha,ha we have to spell also.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

The other thing these silly tests don't take into account is that Chows are often more interested in pleasing themselves than some human giving orders. The breeds that score the highest in these tests, normally border collies, are WAY into pleasing a human. Chows just find what ever they may be doing, (even if it is just snoozint) to be more interesting than what you are doing or what you want them to do. I've often referred to chows as being permanent 3-4 year old humans, while most other breeds stay at about 18 months to 2 years old.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
lizmof
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lizmof »

I have a half chow and she is the smartest dog I have known. Very perceptive, great at reading emotions and anticipating emotions. I have had to earn her trust for her to listen to me and obey commands. She will not listen to strangers or give them the time of day until properly introduced by her owners. She is very scheduled and set in her ways, if an outsider does not get acquainted with her she will be aloof. Dog obedience tests do not sit well with independent minded dogs that want to control their surroundings. I have never doubted the intelligence of chows.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Here is one more example for intelligence Chow style.
Simba and Nala playing catch. which starts that both are on the opposite sides of the dining table. from there they watch each other and try to figure out in what direction the other will start running, this can last for quite some time.
the moment the first one moves which is usually Nala :) SImba starts running towards her. She then immediately changes direction to escape "the attacK", usually successful.
Now he changes tactic as well and so on, until he can catch her or something more interesting happens.
The other day he suddenly stopped pursing and walked towards the door, the moment Nala thought the game ended and followed him, he turned around and got her.
Now is that intelligence or what :lol: ?
Best regards
Pinoy51
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Seems to me i have seen this discussion at some point before.

In any event, the "intelligence" testing is more accurately called 'trainability', and as Chow people, we know how that goes. An independent breed will never score well in these tests. If they were truly testing for intelligence, they would be able to determine what the chow is thinking when they tell him to 'sit'. Many breeds will simply comply, while the chow is thinking and wondering why, or what's in it for me? Which is the more intelligent response? It's not that our dog doesnt know how, because most certainly do, but more about logic and reasoning. That is a true sign of intelligence.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Best regards
Pinoy51
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Thanks Pinoy51
The Chow Chow demands attention, especially when there is a new visitor at the home. They are a very jealous breed of dog and like to be at the center of everything. Any owner who has a Chow Chow must be firm and strong-willed. This breed of dog is very dominant and can easily take charge of its owner if the owner isn’t firm enough. Again, this dog isn’t stupid, it has proven to be very hard to train because of the nature and personality of the dog. Remember, stubborn doesn’t mean stupid. In any case, the Chow Chow is a great dog to have around the house to snuggle with.
My two obviously read this article.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

I didn't read out loud when I found the article, and didn't let my two look at my screen 8)
So far they haven't changed a bit, still obedient..... if they want too, follow each of my commands ....... if it makes sense to them.
Best regards
Pinoy51
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

=; Attention Pinoy.
Better make sure your computer is password protected. :mischief: Heh, Heh.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Sure it is, but I'm going to change it, I'm afraid they figure out that I have chosen "CHOWCHOW". :wink:
Best regards
Pinoy51
Delilah
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Delilah »

I disagree...chows don't have to be smart! The are too darn adorable and frankly too darn stubborn to have to wow with silly dog tricks!
MisterComplete
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MisterComplete »

I saw an article about that, and the same article rated Basenjis as one of the dumbest breeds, which is WAY off because Basenjis are expert problem solvers. Like someone else said, trainability and intelligence are not the same thing! Just because a chow chooses not to obey doesn't mean he doesn't understand the command. ;)
My three boys:
"The Chow has many noble qualities - his heart cannot be taken by storm, but, once given, it is yours forever."
- Lady Dunbar of Mochrum
karenmarie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by karenmarie »

Our Chowdren have all been decision makers and manipulators =D= we frequently spend time with friends and relatives that have a wide variety of dog types. Most recently we were out in the meadow having a wonderful time watching the dogs all play and run (not so much our two, more plodding and taking in the sights and smells). My husband had driven to meet up with us and parked on the top of a bluff. He whistled to let us know he had arrived (a family thing). The dogs all perked up and listened. The boxer, lab, keeshond & german shepherd all ran to the base of the bluff tails wagging, barking,jumping in anticipation. Our two jogged over looked up and proceeded to walk around the bluff and up the side to the top. Lol They stood up there with my husband while the rest of the dogs continued barking and wagging down below. This might not be so funny if this hadn't happened numerous times over many years! Reasoning I think. It took Bella once to figure this out with Balou, and took Bubbs once with Bella. The others wait to follow us after we call them. Just saying!!!
Another funny that also happens repeatedly at our house with our family dogs together. You be the judge, we think it is hilarious when all the furry family members are having a treat and Ms Bella will abruptly go to the door and huff ,maybe just once. Everyone leaves their treat to quick come look and asses the threat (oh oh) Bella waltzes back to snatch all of the treats and stash them before they know whats happening. This has happened every time, cumulatively over 90+. We all start to laugh the minute she leaves her treat and head toward the foyer. We've tried to forewarn the others not to fall for it, ha ha, but it happens over and over. We do make her give them back, and she usually works her magic at least one more time before the treats are finally finished!!!!
We spell everything in our house as well, and more recently use just the first and last letter. You can practically see their minds working to figure out our new code. :wink:
Bella & Balou