How did u get your chow use to being brushed

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

How did u get your chow use to being brushed

Post by Tan160581 »

Ever since I had her I been trying to brush her but didn't really push it as she didn't like it well last couple of days I put her on my chair snd show her the brush and just seeing it throws her into a mental she stronger then me as she goes berserk how on earth can I get her to like this experience x
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: How did u get your chow use to being brushed

Post by wokman »

Look for a past Post titled my "Chow Chow Snowpy", by Keningo on the General Discussions Forum. This person maybe can help you train Lola faster and better. He can tell you where to look on the internet for information on training by the "Dog Whisperer" a person who really knows how to train dogs and their owners. Training Lola to walk on the leash may help her health problem cure faster.
Walking is good for you and her, it is one more thing she will like you for. :o :D
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

I think your letting this dog be the boss over you...you need to be a little more firm..You really think our chows liked to be brushed...Ummm no but they were tauhgt to deal with it...My wife last nite brushed our male chow for about an Hour he just lays there and deals...And he is A BIG boy 80 plus pounds..at 17 months old. so could you imgane if we didnt have control over him???...You need to stop worrying she doesnt like it..your the Alpha in the house she needs to know that...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

Chill out - all puppies squiggle to start with. I waited until mine were half asleep at night, ie all calm and relaxed and then brushed them as much as I could get away with. They learnt to like it. I also made it clear if they started to complain that it was expected of them to lie down and accept it (without going over the top obviously).
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I will say this. Treats and distraction. Most puppies will see the brush as a toy and try to chew on it. If you run into that, replace with a suitable toy or a chew. Think of it as setting a boundary and the brush or comb is off limits and show him what is acceptable. Also, pick your times. A tired pup is more likely to sit back and relax. Massage and spa time. Doing short sessions just to smooth them out is way better than attacking gnarls and snags, pulling at the fur. Our dog is pretty accepting of all grooming regimens (including teeth brushing), but i saw a full grown Chow just pretty much nap through a lengthy section this past week. His owner literally finished with one side, and grabbed all 4 paws to spin him over. Dont think he even blinked.

Also consider where the brushing occurs. Chair might not be the best. Floor is a good choice or a proper grooming table. Either way, make it enjoyable, not a chore. Treats to chew on or a favorite toy, and lots of praise for behaving nicely.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Rory's Dad is right. Puppies see the brush as a toy and want to chew on it. You need to have short sessions with the primary objective to get the dog used to being brushed. Don't try to pull out mats until the dog is used to being handled. I always groom on the floor. It just seems natural to me. My two like to be brushed. Malachi will turn into a bear rug and just lay there after a few minutes, and Yes, I have to grab his feet and roll him over to do the other side.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

Dim Sum doesn't like to be brushed. If I try to do it on the floor, he will jet. So I use a grooming table. When he's up on the table, he's good about it...but can't wait to get down. ;)
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Personally I 'get' Rio when he is tired from a walk or after his food. If I do try to brush him at other times he will put up with it for maybe 15 minutes but gets bored!!!! I too groom on the floor, I am not lifting his highness onto a grooming table he weighs over 50 pounds.
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

Maggie was a show puppy that was used to being groomed. I got her at 7 months old and she looks forward to being brushed. I mention "brushing" and she heads to the garage. I'm lucky.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Rio wrote:Personally I 'get' Rio when he is tired from a walk or after his food. If I do try to brush him at other times he will put up with it for maybe 15 minutes but gets bored!!!! I too groom on the floor, I am not lifting his highness onto a grooming table he weighs over 50 pounds.

Yeah my wife does Kodi on the floor..also when he is tired he just lays there and sleeps as she brushes him..lol..No way she is lifting him on a table he is 80ish lbs...LOL...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NanouetJon »

As a puppy start with very short brushing sessions, use different types of brushes. They need to get used to it. It is not so much they need brushing, more they need to get used to doing as they are told and the brushing WILL be necessary later.

Our evening with a puppy starts with me sitting on the ground on the floor and having the brush handy. Since you are on the floor they come to you naturally. So I lay them down or sit, and just petting them for 5 mins like a brush would. Then I give me release command <Voisi> and I get up and do something else.

Later that evening, another 5 mins, maybe use the brush but I will flip it over so the hair isn't being pulled. <Voisi>

Another 5 minutes, but this time use the brush. Do this every day! Extend the 5 minutes as they get older and change brushed so they get used to it.

Today Maddoxx( 4yr) will come to me when I get the brush out. He wants me to comb out all the dead hair. he will present to me the section he wants brushed. So if he comes and sits down and faces away, Well its time to brush his back and tail, or he will lay down and lift his leg, well its underbelly time.

Once they start blowing their coat, the brushing will make them feel better, air out the coat and all around goodness
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

I wish I could have had access to all this great advice you are getting when I had my first Chow Chow. I cannot wait to read your Post when Lola gets her first bath. I would recommend a grooming table for Lola, putting her up on the table is a way of showing her you have control of her. If you do use a table put it on a carpeted floor so if she jumps off she will not slip. I would not brush her right after she eats, since Chows are known to get bloat, give them time to digest their food. It is also a good idea to not feed them right after exercise. Just remember when you are struggling with her that fur is attached to skin and it hurts if you pull hard. Get an ear cleaning solution from your Veterinarian to clean out wax build up in her ears to avoid ear infections; I do this first before brushing.
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

Your right wokman I find this forum invaluable with all the advice I get snd I appreciate it:)

Re the bath that is something I have mastered she doesn't seem to mind that will stay in there and let me do what I have to do and then I put her on my bed yep my bed gets soaked and she lies down to sleep and I blow dry her I don't know how I managed that done it twice now first time I got her breeder said best to get her smell of her and get mind on her and the other day when she stood in dog poo x