New pup panting and drinking a lot

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

New pup panting and drinking a lot

Post by Tan160581 »

As you know got my pup today seems fine except pants a lot and drinks a lot is that normal my house isn't hot just normal x
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: New pup panting and drinking a lot

Post by NanouetJon »

Day 1 at home is so exciting for you and the puppy. I imagine she/he is getting lots of attention. Panting and drinking are good signs.

The signs to watch out for are loose stool. In fact for the first couple of month you will be watching all poos. This is the best way to figure out how they are doing. Watching to see if they have eaten anything they shouldn't ( Like the remote control or your shoes ). Puppies void themselves often and since the route from mouth to bum is so short it doesn't take too long.

My wife and I kept score and yelled across the house as we came in from the yard " Good one, a pee AND a poo"

You want to make sure they don't have too loose of stool or get constipated.

The other big sign is if they remove themselve from everthing and stare at a wall or corner for long periods.

My vets advice for the first couple of weeks was this:

1. Stops drinking
2. Stares at the corner for hours, oblivious to external environment.
3. White and loose stool.

Go immediately to the vet.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Re: New pup panting and drinking a lot

Post by Judy Fox »

I agree what Nan...Jon says.

Be careful not to let your puppy get tired out. Have a box or a bed that the puppy can be put in and left to sleep in peace.
When we first brought our Milly home nearly 13 yrs. ago we had three young granddaughters here whilst their mothers were at work and the rule was when Milly was asleep she must not be disturbed. She would fall asleep mid-play so she would be picked up and put in her box and left strictly alone until she woke up when she was taken out to spend a penny then they could play with her.
The thing is puppies play hard then sleep hard then they can play again. :lol:

So I think Nan...Jon is right - very exciting day, very tired puppy.

She will settle down very quickly. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)