General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ruben
Rank 0
Rank 0

Getting a puppy with 9 month old Chow

Post by ruben »

Hi everyone,

I have a 9 month old Chow x Samoyed (male) and am thinking about getting him a companion - is it too soon to get another Chow x Samoyed puppy? How old should he be before we do this?

He's very friendly towards all other dogs (and people and everything else - only thing he doesn't like is possums!) and is fairly obedient to myself and my husband (we don't have kids).

Would appreciate any advice

Thanks!
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Getting a puppy with 9 month old Chow

Post by Rio »

I would say as long as the early days are supervised then the younger the better, your boy is still young enough to play and frolic with a puppy.
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

I think that 9mths is the perfect age to play with a new friend, as long as your basic training is in place. Fozz was 12months when Humphrey came to stay - she has taught him lots of habits (mostly good ones) and likes to play with him. It is great to see them together.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

ruben wrote:Hi everyone,

I have a 9 month old Chow x Samoyed (male) and am thinking about getting him a companion - is it too soon to get another Chow x Samoyed puppy? How old should he be before we do this?

He's very friendly towards all other dogs (and people and everything else - only thing he doesn't like is possums!) and is fairly obedient to myself and my husband (we don't have kids).

Would appreciate any advice

Thanks!
I think it's a good age as long as the older boy has most of his training. I love both breeds and would love to see pictures of your boy, and his new friend when you get him/her.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
ruben
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ruben »

Thanks everyone for your comments, appreciate it!

Here is a pic of my beautiful Ruben puppy
Attachments
ruben1.jpg
ruben1.jpg (182.07 KiB) Viewed 2711 times
Thomas
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thomas »

We got Teddy when she was four months old (third owners in two months - not a happy chow to begin with). After two months, when she decided we weren't going to give her to someone else, we got Arleigh-Buirke (retriever / shepherd mix) from an animal shelter. She was eight weeks old. Arleigh took to Teddy right away. Teddy ignored Arleigh for a month hoping she would vanish. Now they are inseparable. The only general advice I would give is that you make sure the first dog sees you as the leader before you introduce another dog into the mix. That way they don't form their own "pack" that excludes you.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Check out my stories about Simba (9mth) and Nala(9 weeks). It is just perfect to have these two together now.
Supervision of the older Chow is a must. Simba likes to cuddle and supervise her too much most of the time.
Getting better by the day but for the first weeks you should have someone consistantly check the two when they share the same space.
Best regards
Pinoy51