crate training puppy?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

crate training puppy?

Post by Tan160581 »

I need some advice as i said in a earlier post my puppy is coming to live with me in my house with out a garden but have a green 2 mins away but obv not secure to let him off so have to take on the lead to do his business until nov dec time when we can move into our house

the breeder told me to crate train and i wanted to know what does that mean exactly as i read that chow stays in crate til house trained til they learn to go outside, is that right ?? surely if i leave chow in cage its going to become unsocilable and wat was the best way you housetrained yours
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: crate training puppy?

Post by Rio »

I cannot give advice on crate training as I didn't use one but as for housetraining, take your puppy out every hour or so and after waking and after eating to a designated toileting area, praise when they go but try not to get overly excited, also try using a key-word when you take them out, along the lines of 'go toilet' or 'go potty' whatever you choose keep it consistent.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

crate training teaches the pup what is his territory. most chows are very clean and will not 'soil' what they consider to be their home. that being said, not all chows require that sort of training. for your sake, you are restricting the area they can mess up. you dont want to use the crate as a negative space. your pup can see it as a safe and secure space (dont reach in and grab him when he is in the crate). Don't use it as a 'time out' space when he misbehaves or has accidents.

You could similarly gate off a room in your house if you dont want to confine the space to a crate. The idea though is that you remove the pup from the confinement area and immediately take him outside to do his business.

I never used a crate for potty training as we show our dog. Crates there are a confinement and holding area, so we didnt want to confuse him. Not sure how well that worked, i still have an attitude pee-er. whenever he doesnt get his way or his normal schedule changes, he will mark a spot.
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

I personally hate crate training and do not believe that it should ever be used. I will get in trouble for saying this, but, I think if you need to confine a dog to a small cage for a long period of time, maybe you should think twice before getting a dog in the first place. There are many other types of pets if you don't have the appropriate time, space or patience to train a dog. Of all breeds, a Chow is Probably the easiest breed of all to housebreak.

Brisco and Dixie's Friend
No matter where you go, there you are.
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

To be honest with you it's what the breeder told me to do I'm going to have puppy out with me during the day but if a evening in the crate as I have cats and hate the cats to scratch pup x
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

i know opinions vary on this topic, and i certainly wouldnt argue Briscoe's position. I dont think there is anything wrong with crate training. its not cruel, and when done properly has a long history of positive results.

Also, please note that crate training is not designed to separate the pup from you. If you are home, and awake, he should be out with you. The crate is intended to help the dog know when he needs to 'hold it' and wait for an appropriate space to relieve himself. Young pups should be allowed access to proper areas at regular intervals.

Separation from other pets that may pose a danger to him is another issue. Gating off rooms will not keep a cat away from your Chow. But the cats will likely only bother with him if he pursues them. They arent real likely to stalk your chow pup.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

crate training puppy?

Post by Pinoy51 »

Just got our new puppy Nala, she is a eight week cream Chow. She joined Simba our 8month male Chow, Reyna, Sandie, Boy and Teddy our rescues and not to forget Chibi our Persian cat.
I fully agree with Rory's dad, i brought her in yesterday so she can stay with me three days. She is practically house broken after one day. I scope her up, after she wakes up and 10min after every meal or when she starts moving around with her nose down.
she copies the other dogs and finishes her business in no time right where it is supposed to happen.
Chibi stays out of sight as she doesn't like the chow "clumpsy" play offers, so she has her own area and if she comes to the dogs she does it on her own with no hidden agenda.
So just watch you pup and she is house broken in no time.
Best regards
Pinoy51
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Crate training is always a good thing if done early and right. Brutus was crate train when he was young and it was very nice to have one in the hotel room last weekend. Not only was he more comfortable in it because we were at a hotel but we could go get dinner and not worry about him. Here is a picture of him after a day of showing, I just left the door open and he went in and slept.

You will never regret crate training your dog but might if you don't.

Brutus