feeding chows how much

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

feeding chows how much

Post by Tan160581 »

I was told by the breeder for a puppy and up to a year old she just feeds a cupful of wet biscuits 3 x a day, is that enough i just wanted to ask to get all the info i can before i bring my puppy home

when they are adults how often and what do you feed them during the day please
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: feeding chows how much

Post by Rio »

I don't feed by cup amounts, I feed by weight of food, whether that wet or dry. I take the recommended amount for weight of dog and go with the lowest and see how they go, if they need more I give slightly more. Currently Rio is on two proper meals a day, by that I mean he has dry biscuits twice a day (370grams in total) and he also has cooked white rice on an evening.
He weighs around the 25kg mark and is seven months old.
I don't have an adult Chow but his food is going to reduce soon (weight of food) as he is going onto Adult version of his dry food.
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

I have always free fed my chows. I have a large automatic feeder so that they can eat when they please.
I may have the unusual ones but my chows never overeat. When they were puppies I would take the food up when I was going to be gone so that he/she did not accidently choke on food but otherwise when & how much was up to them.

For me it was harder deciding what brand & type of dry food to feed.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

We feed by cups of food daily..Our chows get our male gets around 4 to 4-1/2 cups a day and our female gets about 2-1/2 to 3 cups a day...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Thomas
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thomas »

We do the raw diet. Two meals, 1/2 lb each meal. If she starts putting on weight we take off a little. If she loses weight we add some. She's three at about 65 lbs and that seems about right for her.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Depending on type of food, season and current amount of exercise, my two eat between 2.25 - 4 cups of food a day, the usual is about 3 cups a day, (dry food) with two large cookies per day, this is optimum for my two who weigh at the moment just below 50lbs which is excellant weight for them both. Dreamdancer ate about 1-1.5 cups of dry per day, fed over three meals while he was a puppy. It was increased as needed, at six months he ate twice a day about 2.5 to 3 cups a day. At that point he was on a mixture of large formula puppy and regular adult food, Both Solid Gold brand.

I think quality of food is more important than amount, you can feed too little of a high quality brand and end up with one set of issues, or a large amount of low quality food and end up with another set of proplems. I would suggest the highest quality food you can afford, start with 1/2 -3/4 cup per meal, if the puppy empties his/her dish in 2 minutes, he/she isn't getting enough, if he/she he takes 10-15 minutes to finish, then that is a proper amount. if it's over 20 minutes that is too much.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blackbear »

Our 2 yr old boy eats about 2.5-3 cups a day plus a raw chicken wing. He is about 70lbs. We feed taste of the wild and quality better than quantity.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

as i have posted many times about Rory's diet...8 oz of cottage cheese in the am and 1 chicken breast or 2/3 lbs of hamburg in the pm. we just moved him to adult food, and he seems to hate it. at 1st he attacked it, but i dont think it agreed with him and he hasnt looked at it since. i think it upset his tummy.

As for weight etc, he is just over 50 lbs at 1 year old. Havent measured him, but he is on the shorter, stockier side.