Chapter Missing

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chapter Missing

Post by reddog »

I’ve commented before that Whitby has read her copy of the Chow Handbook from cover to cover and has highlighted and underlined the pages.

This past weekend I came to the conclusion that Whitby’s copy of her Chow Hand book had the chapter regarding chows not liking to go out in the rain omitted. I woke up at 5:30 Saturday morning to the sound of a torrential downpour. I thought this would delay the first walk of the day. No such luck. Whitby was ready and waiting at the basement door when I came down stairs. I opened the door, she stuck her nose out, looked around and out we went. Twenty minutes later we were back in the house and soaked to the bone. It took 3 heavy towels to get her somewhat dry and I had to wring out my sweatpants and hang them on the line in the basement. What a way to start the day. :roll:
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chapter Missing

Post by applebear »

I read it is actually the sound of rain that dogs don't care for, as it is intensified for them...however I have found many dogs that just don't want to get their feet wet. lol My first chow was like this, didn't matter if it was raining or the ground was wet...she would fight going out. Now if you let her off lead, well...the rain could be overlooked of course. My second chow, like yours, didn't seem to care one way or another. My current chow/husky mix don't care either...though I think he takes after the husky more in a lot of aspects.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

I too have a faulty Chow when it comes to apparently not liking the rain, he LOVES it, and usually protests if we come back in, he does like being rubbed down with towels though!!!! We just have to ignore the Chow-sized wet patch on the floor rug.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Simba doesn't mind rain, but hate puddles. He can stand in the middle of a down poor w/o any issue. But next day he will "dance" around every puddle or even stops walking if he doesn't see how to avoid them, like wet stairs. Too funny if the big guy stops and starts whining to get carried over a small puddle :lol:
Best regards
Pinoy51
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Cassie loved to be in the rain most of the time. It is I who tries to limit her access to rain showers as I am worried she'd catch a cold. Off she went to her kennel if I have some treats for her. else, it'll be a play of tag all the time.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Both my later chows loved the rain would do the happy rain dance all day in it.. But didn't like the left over puddles..they went from rain dancers to puddle jumpers over night.. LOL
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

I may have come to my conclusion in error in regards to the chapter on chows not liking to go out into the rain being omitted from Whitby’s Chow Hand book. That chapter must have been in my beloved Chloe’s hand book which would have been an older edition. If it was raining and I leashed Chloe up to go out, she’d take one step outside of the door, look around and then look up at me as if to say “are you kidding – I’m not going out in that” and then promptly step back and wait for me to unleash her. Or if we were already out and it started to rain, she’d quickly take care of business and we’d be back home in no time flat. :)
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

I think my chows have read different handbooks, lol. Belle hates the rain. Unless she really has to go, she will take one step out & right back in she comes. Chumley on the other hand loves the rain & will play in it for hours. Thank goodness for hardwood floors cause that rascal gets water all over the house before I can properly dry him off.
Thomas
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thomas »

Teddie doesn't care one way or the other. She'll go out and lay down on the lawn and get completely soaked and won't come in until I call her then waits patiently to be dried off. She loves getting rubbed down with a towel.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Isn't it wonderful that Chows have all these different personalities, preferences and dislikes. The handbook that will fit them all will never be written. All we have to do is to "listen" to our individuum and find the compromise which makes him or her happy and doesn't cause too much troubles for us humans. I still think Chows have capabilities to train humans :D
Best regards
Pinoy51
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

believe it or not, my two previous chows would literally wait days if the weather didnt cooperate. i never could figure out the control those two exhibited.

no such luck with rory, as he didnt learn from those two. He knows the rules and chooses to flaunt them whenever he sees fit.