General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

cge2809
Rank 0
Rank 0

help!my chow's first heat!

Post by cge2809 »

hi guys!
my almost 6 month ( will be 6month on sep.16)
chow started her period now!

she's supposed to get spayed next week,
but it just started!

1. can she get spayed while in heat? or should we wait?

2. we never had a female dog before,
is there anything we should be careful while
she's in her heat??

i've done some research about their heat,
I will get her diaper tomorrow! does she
have to wear it all the time??
she's keep licking there....
We're worried about it... need your advices!
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: help!my chow's first heat!

Post by applebear »

Oh seriously...I had a reply all written out and it went poof soon as I hit send. ><

Call your vet and see what he says on spaying her. I am not positive, but seems I remember something about them preferring not to spay them while in heat. Think they can, just prefer not to...though it probably depends greatly on what your vet says.

The most important thing is to be careful of is around other males and outside. I wouldn't leave her outside unattended for any length of time, even if she's behind a fence. Males will smell her from a great distance, and go to great lengths to breed with her. There have even been cases of breeding through chain link fences.

Depending on how much she is bleeding, will probably depend on how much she has to wear the diaper...I honestly don't know much about it. I know some bleed more than others, and some keep themselves pretty clean constantly licking themselves. Just take it easy, you'll get through this and check with vet when the spay can be done. :)
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

As she has just started her first heat - this will take about three weeks - I would advise you leave it until about 3 months after it has finished i.e. between heats which happen every 6 months.
Whilst she is on heat make sure she does not get out as dogs will be able to smell her and will be round like bees round the proverbial honey-pot! :D
IF she does get out and a dog gets her, take her to the vet immediately and he can give her an injection to stop conception - not very nice - but better than unwanted pups - but the best way is to make sure that she does not get near a dog.
Regarding sanitary protection for her - see how she goes as bitches do like to clean themselves - it is a natural process. If she does bleed a lot a little help might be needed but generally she might like you to leave it to her.
Bless her, they grow up too soon. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Judy nailed my advice for you pretty well. Your chow, She'll be safe to go out after the 3week period. Meaning she cant get pregnant after that. Cleaning up your house from her period is the thing you must think about if there are no male dogs in your household.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I would just like to say again it is important to leave her for the three months for her hormones to return to base level or you could be left with her hormones a bit messed up after her spey. I never use any protection for our chows they keep themselves so beautifully clean and even help to clean each other. This is a matter of preference. Some people us a pair of old boxer shorts the wrong way round for the tail to come out. I think if you have small children this is probably a good idea. Ours are so clean I am often surprised that there is no mess.
Be warned that some young girl chows like young girls do not settle immediately into twice yearly heats. Bramble was all over the place at that age and kept coming back in heat evey six to eight weeks till she was nearly a year old. Just bear with her and she will settle into a pattern eventually and then you can catch her at the right point.
She may go off her food and be a bit clingy for a week or so. A little tlc is needed at this point. I believe they do have cramps like us so a tummy rub and a cuddle helps :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Thomas
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thomas »

Teddie went into heat at six months, the week before she was to be spayed. Our vet said we'd wait for eight weeks before he did the operation. It turned out fine.