mats behind ears

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

P.R. Bear
Rank 0
Rank 0

mats behind ears

Post by P.R. Bear »

Does anyone have a non-stressful way to remove mats from behind the ears? I used to have a rough collie who got them all the time. I used a dog clipper on him with no problem. I tried using it on Bear and she screamed like I was killing her! I also have dematting combs (the ones with the blades in them) but they don't seem to do the trick. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :-?
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: mats behind ears

Post by TyChowgirl »

Mm. Ty gets them in between coats occassionally. The groomer we've sort of gotten to know at the pet resort told me to comb them out as much as possible (away from the skin) and just clip them out with scissors. Not much pain, not much noise.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Yep, they gonna happen from time to time. No choice but to clip em.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

I haven't had this problem with Rio, but I have matting problems with one of my Ragdolls, he has very dense fur and gets matts under his armpits!!! I use to just cut them out but the fur always grew back a little oddly, now I us the furminator on him, and the matts can now be mostly combed out without the need to snip away.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

I wish I got a grooming table a long time ago because they make the process a lot easier. If you can't afford the table and the arm then get the arm with a loop first and use it on a table you already have. I have a 36 inch arm with a loop and Brutus doesn't move.

Brutus
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Mats take time to form. My Chows got them occasionally when they were younger, before I decreased the time between brushings. If they are left for too long the mats get tight against the skin and your Vet would be best to remove them. If you can get your fingers between the mat and the skin, then hold the fur with the matted end and gently pick away at it with the tooth of a steel comb. Pulling at a mat near the ear suddenly can cause a blister like swelling in the ear flap; requiring surgery. As my Chows have taught me a Brushed Chow looks better, feels better and has healthier skin.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

My two will get mats behind their ears. If I don't let it go too long, I can brush it out with a pin brush. Now I do have to work with it, but most of the time it will come out. Now if they are a real problem, like TyChowgirl said, use scissors.
paul91
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by paul91 »

You can use any good dog clipper for matted hair
LaVitaEBella
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LaVitaEBella »

Bathe your dog regularly.

If you can get a brush or comb through your dog's fur or hair, bathe him as often as your breeder or groomer recommends. If your dog has mats or tangles, avoid bathing him which will only make the matting worse. You should also realize that shampoo or conditioner alone will not remove matting.