Never ever thought I'd see something like this....

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Never ever thought I'd see something like this....

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Well, tonight I saw Dixie's protective side! And anyone who knows how much socialization I've put into this dog from day 1 and who knows how people oriented she is knows this is a shock!

I decided to take Dixie on a solo trip to my old high school for a jog/walk on the track (my best friend is at a baseball game and I couldn't find anyone else to go, so I left the boys home). We were there for about 2 hours, and when we were finishing up with a cool down lap, I glanced up towards the gate we'd be going through to go to the car and the was a man there propped against the railing. I veered off the track towards the bench I sat my purse and Dixie's bag on. I decided I'd wait until we were in the car to give Dixie some water, so I picked everything up and turned to head towards the gate opposite the one the man was standing at. Well, as we were walking, I realised Dixie kept glancing over her shoulder at the man standing back at the other gate. So I picked up my pace and decided we'd walk the long way around the baseball and softball fields to avoid going anywhere near the man. So we finally got towards the parking lot in front of the high school, and the man is standing by a light pole out in the parking lot between me and Dixie, and my car..... I pulled my LARGE pocket knife out of my purse, and also pulled out my phone and called my guy friend who lives by the school.

When my friend answered his phone, I quickly told him that there was a man there being a pest and asked him if he'd come to the school and stay on the phone with me. Well, I set out across the parking lot talking to Blake, who I already saw coming up the road, Dixie by my side and my knife hidden in my free hand. Well, as I expected, the guy walked towards us and made a few rude comments, which highly irritated me. Blake pulled up next to me in his car and told the guy to back off. The other guy said "dude, chill. I'm just havin' fun" as he came around the car. And that's when I heard the most frightening growl come from Dixie. The other guy had to be drunk or stoned off his butt or something because he reached towards Dixie and she lunged at him! Blake was trying to stay between this guy and me, but Dixie was making it difficult and this guy still wasn't backing off.... Well, Dixie managed to break her collar (since we were jogging I'd decided to just have 1 collar on her) and she jumped up, grabbed the guys arm and started yanking him around. And as she got him on the ground (the guy screaming like a girl) and let go of his arm and started yanking on his pant legs, the resource officer for the school came out of the building and rushed over. I finally managed to get a hold of Dixie and pull her off the guy and get her prong collar on her. There were questions gallor.... She put the guy in her patrol car and came back to talk to us again and I told her exactly what happened and she told us not to leave just yet... She radioed for back up and and ambulance to bandage the guys arm since it was pretty messed up from her teeth..... The sheriff asked me to fill out a report, and asked for proof of Dixie's vaccinations (which I had her rabies tag on the collar she broke, and her folder in the car with all paperwork) and sent us on the way. And of course, everybody was afraid of Dixie even though she was just laying by my feet with a completely slack leash. She made no move towards anyone, though she did wag her tail at the sheriff.

So, now, me and Dixie are at home trying to relax, but I'm finding it difficult.... But it's nice to know that if it comes down to it, your dog will protect you... I'm glad I had her with me.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Never ever thought I'd see something like this....

Post by Rory's Dad »

she did exactly what she should have done in my opinion. Nice job Dixie, and i dont care if anyone disagrees. I dont raise my dogs for protection, but they have their own instincts, and Dixie acted on hers. You went way above and beyond to avoid a situation, but it wasnt to be apparently. Glad to hear that you are ok.
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

Well done Dixie! Poor you though, how scary. Glad you are ok and Dixie too, extra big bone for her this weekend.
So glad you're both ok and your friend, Blake.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Thank y'all.

The sheriff who was on the scene just showed up at the door to "check up on us". He observed Dixie and told me that apparently this guy had a warrant out for his arrest. I asked for what, but he wasn't "allowed to disclose that information". So, I'm gonna say Dixie had a big win today...?
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Dixie you are such a good girl. I too am on the side of 'instinct' she obviously didn't like the smell of this guy and decided to do something about it, well done young lady.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Two thumbs up for Dixie!!! Question tho Maybe its me...But you dont like dogs off leash but its ok for you to carry a LARGE pocket knife??????....How about Mace?...what type of Area you do you live in?...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I am so glad it turned out OK for you both and that there will be no trouble for your wonderful girl Dixie =D=
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

Don't be so quick to judge. That knife was Tippsy's choice to carry. Thank goodness she was ok. And a special treat to Dixie. This man sounded like he had ill intentions. So scary.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

oceans wrote:Don't be so quick to judge. That knife was Tippsy's choice to carry. Thank goodness she was ok. And a special treat to Dixie. This man sounded like he had ill intentions. So scary.
Your missing the point....Yes im glad there both ok...its ok to carry a Knife? but not let your dog be off leash on there property?....I know Here in NJ that wouldnt be to good with the law carrying a consealed weapon...And yes a pocket knife is a weapon....
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Glad you and Dixie are ok Jess. :) She obviously has her instincts in good order. =D=
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
P.R. Bear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by P.R. Bear »

Well I say good for Dixie!!! What a great girl. In response to Kitten1426, my mother in-law lives in GA. Purchased a hand gun due the the less than favorable people moving into the area.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I say Kudos to both you and Dixie! You took every measure to avoid that guy, and he still made a move. I think Dixie did what was natural and at the right time! As for the knife, way to be prepared, a young girl walking alone at night I don't see a problem with taking measures to protect yourself!
SweetPea Rocks!!
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

I'm glad you are ok and Dixie tore up that guy. I agree with pepper spray since I got my wife one for less than $20. A knife is ok but I believe pepper spray is much better. I actually bought one for me too that I leave in my truck in case I think I might need it. In the old days kids were told not to talk or open the door to strangers. Now nobody should because of the real danger. These days we forget dogs are for protection, we are taught to socialize them and are afraid of them biting anyone. Brutus is the worst guard dog we've had, but I know it's in him because of the breed. Dixie is a hero and it's to bad the media didn't cover this story.

Brutus
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Dixie is a hero in my view. I'am sure your friend you called to your aid would have protected you two also. The laws can be unfair when enforced and even the low lifes have rights. Be prepared for reprisal from the tormenter who threatened you. So smart of you to be prepared for your safety and Dixie's carrying all her records. I had the law turned on my dogs once because of their breed while others disobeyed it. I moved to save my fur kids from being taken away.
Chowmomma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chowmomma »

Kudos to Dixie

*Chowmomma*
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Good girl Dixie. Protecting mom just the way you are supposed to. The guy sounds like complete bad news. And Jess, keep carrying the knife or a stout walking stick. The problem with pepper spray, (unless it is police grade mace) is that is doesn't work on people who are high on certain drugs or who are so out of it through mental illness, and even police grade mace doesn't always work. Even a police grade tazer won't stop some people in certain situations.

When I was much younger, I worked nights and rode the bus. I normally wore my nursing whites, which just says "target" to certain types of people. After being accousted a couple of times by drunks and would be johns, (I'm in my dang nursing whites and these idiots thought I was on a stroll! :evil: ) I started carrying a boot knife with a 9 inch blade. I also made sure my backpack always weighed enough to do some serious damage if I swung and hit someone with it, (books weigh a nice bit and are solid). If I ever have to work nights again, I'll be carrying that knife again, as well as my stout walking stick.

Since I've always lived in a big city and been approached by all kinds of potential perps, I've either always been hyperalert myself, or during the past 20 years I've had my chows and even the best socialized of them, Darkwind has stood between me and drunks, druggies, and gang bangers and the only time I ever heard him growl was when someone unsavory was in my building late at night and stood right outside our front door. This is the chow who allowed seven childern to run up to him, two of them fall on him and he never even twitched. Even the best socialized chow or other dog will reveal their protective instincts in the right situation.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
JStone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JStone »

That guy definitely had bad intent and was bold enough not to be scared off by Blake right off the bat. For the sheriff to decline to tell you what his warrant was for tells me that it was something serious. Dixie did exactly the right thing. That guy probably thought she was a harmless teddy bear...bad mistake on his part!