Ideas? LA area

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

LucysSusanH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Ideas? LA area

Post by LucysSusanH »

Please contact Caren directly if you have a thought.

Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 8:37 AM
To: info@adoptachowla.com
Subject: 2 chows in Hollywood

Hello,

I wonder if you could help? I live in Hollywood near Las Palmas and Waring Avenue. Around the corner, on Las Palmas, lives a lady with paranoid schizophrenia and who knows what else. She is pretty much disabled, weights 80 lbs, meals on wheels feed her, social services visit her and she has a neighbor who claims to "look after her". But who knows, he seems like an opportunist to everyone around the neighborhood, A year or so ago he put a $30,000 lien on an elderly gentleman's house, claiming he "helped" him. Anyway, that's the people side of this.

The dogs are kept in the house (she has no electricity, burns a candle at night), and, no during the heat, she puts them on a thick chain in the evenings, attached to her house. This is the only exercise the dogs get, except when they run away, which is very frequent. I first got to know these dogs when one was running around the streets late one night and I took it from door to door trying to find its owner. Only when I finally brought him home (after not being able to find its owner). The dog had no tags, but when I got home I noticed a note strapped around the collar, giving me the name of the person to contact in case he was lost. The note read something like "some very bad men have stolen my tags so if you find me, please call _____". I did not keep the name or number as I didn't know all this background.

Since then I have been over to the house and asked the lady (thus finding out how mentally and physically incapacitated their owner is) if I could walk the dogs. I did that day, but they are very difficult to walk as they have never been on walks. Also, since then, I have found the dogs many times, as have other neighbors. I know one gentleman said if he finds them again he's calling the pound.

Last night, while walking my dog (also rescued 8 years ago) I found both the dogs running around the neighborhood with the chain attached to each of their collars. A big think chain that I was scared to get next to for fear of getting hurt.

I found the neighbor that says he helps, and he said he said "oh don't worry, they'll come back". I said they were chained together and they would either get killed or hurt someone else. I do not know the end result of that.

These dogs (Task and Marcia) are really,, sweet dogs! They do not bark (not sure if this is a chow thing or if they have had their vocals removed) and come willingly to anyone, are not vicious at all, although everyone thinks so as when they walk past the house the dogs come running to the end of their chains.

I don't know what to do next. Can you offer some advice, please? I think these dogs lives are in danger, but feel very sorry for the woman that owns them. (She says that the owners are coming to get them, but I found out from another neighbor last night that they have been here many years.)

Thank you in advance for your assistance,

Caren Banks

Caren's Best
269 S. Beverly Drive, No. 239
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
(323)871-1411
Lucy's Susan H.