Pekoe attacked someone.

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Pekoe attacked someone.

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I can never say Pekoe has never attacked anyone again. The other day I was in my room laying on the bed reading the Chow post, Pekoe was in all out sleep mode on her side and snoring laying between me and the door, a friend of my Daughters (adult 30) opens the door goes right for Pekoe to pet her and says Pekoe your so cute, Pekoe jumped up attacked her, pushed her into the door, ripped her dress and bite her hand, the scary part was when I yelled Pekoe she didn't stop I had to get up and pull her away. No one really blamed Pekoe because Pekoe didn't know the girl and the girl did just push the door open and went right for Pekoe while she was sleeping but like I said I actually had to pull her off the girl. I guess the morale is a stranger walked in, pushed the door open and attacked Pekoe while she was sleeping, It all happened so fast no one had time to say stop or becareful. I hope this isn't an age thing and now I have to really becarefull with Pekoe. I have never in Pekoe's life ever seen her react that way.
LucysSusanH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Let sleeping Chows lie!

Post by LucysSusanH »

This is pretty much the same situation in which Lucy bit my husband. He didn't realize she was so sound asleep. He bent down to say good night to her and she SPRANG up and snagged his ear with her tooth, ripping it. However, she did not persist but seemed mortified when she realized she had hurt him.

I do think it is an age thing (hopefully, nothing worse). My really old Greyhound mix sleeps like the dead. Pekoe may be really knocked out now (perhaps even has some hearing loss) and is not in full possession of herself when shocked out of sleep.

That was a really stupid thing for that person to do to any dog, but I'm sure it was shocking to not be able to stop Pekoe once she started. Adrenaline could be playing a part, and again, possibly hearing loss.

No suggestions - would not be that alarmed unless she attacks while fully conscious.
Lucy's Susan H.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I think, given Pekoe's awake personality, she reacted exactly as should be expected. I wouldn't think an adult would startle a sleeping dog, especially one that doesn't know her well. Sounds like the woman knows she made a mistake. How was Pekoes demeanor after you got her out of attack mode? Was she contrite, or did she want to keep fighting?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoe didn't really do anything after it was over, as I'm saying Pekoe that's bad she's wagging her tail and grunting then walked over and went back to sleep. I should have also mentioned she was still a little high on that Ace crap, I have do something about that stuff its taking way to long for her to come out of it. Pekoe is getting Aced just about every Wed. she doesn't completly come out of it until Saturday so basically she is stoned most of the week.
Sandie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sandie »

I have to admit I hate to be startled awake too! Can't imagine what I would do if it was a stranger in my house that woke me up.

~ Glad everyone is ok.
Mommy to Storme, Beatle, Bailey and Mufassa aka Moose.
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Sounds like one of the reasons they say "let sleeping dogs lie"

Several years ago, I was leaving early in the morning for work and leaned over the bed to say goodbye to my wife and our beagle-mix. Apparently the dog was sound asleep and dreaming about killing rabbits or something, because I suddenly had a beagle firmly clamped on my bleeding chin (real blood, Judy, not just an expression). He didn't miss my throat by much. If he had been a Chow with better aim, I probably wouldn't be writing this. I think he was as startled by the whole thing as I was, but I did give up kissing the wife goodbye, especially if the dog was asleep.

Glad all is well now.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

This has nothing to do with the topic but Home Depot use to allow dogs but I heard not to long ago a casher was checking a lady out reached into the basket, the lady's little yapper dog clamped onto the cashers face and that was it no more dogs in Home Depot. Some Home Depots it depends on the Manager.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh dear Jeff - don't dwell on it - just take extra care. the woman was out of order really and given what Pekoe is going through at the moment it is all very understandable.
Poor Pekoe - but true to form - it does not seem to have bothered the Queen of Attitude. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chris

Post by chris »

hmmmmm... well... this is a touchy subject isn't it.. ?

How come the woman just walked in on you and Pekoe? she has never seen Pekoe before? Your daughter didn't tell her about Pekoe? ... Anyway, I agree that she shouldn't have just come wright in, pekoe or no pekoe... secondly, I don't think I would bother a dog I didn't know especialy while sleeping... And part of me says that Pekoes reaction was "understandable" because of her sercumstances (sp?) but part of me wants to say it was unacceptable. But then again... I guess if I were waken up in mid sleep high on ace by a stranger... I would probably attack the distorted looking object wakeing me up too.
I have to say though Jeff, that my Grizz... she was very additudy from day 1 when we got her. When she became a senior though, we really had to be careful.. she would get crabby and give warning bites more and more often then not to people. She eventualy bit my son when he was 3 years old, and when I went to scold her for it, she lunged at me.. then I got mad and yelled at her again and started towards her and SHE lunged at me again... well... at that point I thought it best to leave her alone. (she was hot and sleeping when Mikey went over by her) We came to find out that she was actualy in ALOT of pain, her whole back and one knee (that she blew out) was infested with arthritus.
I would suggest keeping a close eye on her.. Poor Pekoe..

sorry Jeff.. Im probably just rambling now...
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Are we having a run on stupid people approaching Chows today or what? Geez Jeff, what was that woman thinking? She has never met Pekoe and approaches her while she is heavily sedated and sleeping? Eeesh. That's just plain stupidity.

As for the Ace -- I hate the drug. I'm sorry but I don't remember why she's being Aced every week. Is it because of the cancer shots? Hmmm... there has to be something better. Even a lower dose?
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
3blackchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 3blackchows »

Poor Pekoe & you too. That must have been an intense few moments. Sounds like she was startled & if she may have a tad of a hearing issue her nose didn't reconize the girls scent & she may have also been protecting you at the same time. My female used to grunt & walk away when I scolded her, I'd turn my head & laugh to myself thinking is this how I'm gonna be when I get older??
Momma Chow Celeste to Gorman, Onyx & Irish
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Whatever happened to asking before you pet someones dog??? When I was young my mother taught me never to approach a dog without permission from the owner. This is something I have passed on to my four year old and will teach my 18 mo old when she is older (right now we just teach her NICE).

Totally off the subject but now that I have said it you should see it she will up to Ivana (she is not allowed to touch the puppy since I am not 100% sure of his behavior yet) and sqeal "NICE, NICE" while she pets her. Ivana could care less for her petting her, but it is just too sweet to watch.

Considering this woman is my age (a little older) I would have expected her to know better....that said I would keep an eye on Peoke just to make sure she was just startled and its not something else.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

That's scary as hell, Jeff... do you think she was protecting you, or protecting herself? I know I had a hard time getting Soph to grasp the concept that it was my job to protect her, not the other way around.
Anyway, dumb human problem, hope she's OK though.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I would say that two things contributed to Pekoe's not backing off when you vocally called her, probably the ACE and an adreniline rush, falling back asleep is another clue that the she was in the midst of adreniline inspired aggression. In other words hormanally she was committed to the attack and it would have taken several minutes for her to 'hear' you and calm down. You had no choice but to intervene physically.

The other thing is the woman's idiotcy, opening the door without warning was incredibly dumb and rude to start with, but to then touch a sleeping dog that is doesn't know you...just plain idiotic.

There was commercial by Petsmart or PetCo a few years ago for their Christmas season that actually showed a child running up to a sleeping dog and waking it. I wrote a letter telling them how rediculously irresponsible that commercial was. Several other people must have done the same thing, because they no longer air it.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
3blackchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 3blackchows »

Victory I remember seeing that commercial & thought the same thing. However I didn't thing enough to write them.
I'm glad you did.

Jeff, I'm trying to go back thru the forums to see whats wrong w/ your baby & why she's taking Ace & what is Ace?
I don't think I've gone back far enuf & I don't want you to have to repeat yourself. Can you remember the month so I cn go back & read?

Thank you!
Momma Chow Celeste to Gorman, Onyx & Irish
sixchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sixchows »

Jeff

I'd have to say Pekoe did the right thing! How would you feel if that woman wasn't your daughter's friend but rather someone there to do you harm? Age related? Sounds like Pekoe has all her faculties even with the cancer and drugs! Smart enough to not let anyone she doesn't know get too close to you!

OJ would have done exactly the same! He too would get caught in that adrenaline rush and not respond right away.

Zoo animals are "cute" too, does she stick her arm in the cage?

People are just idiots!
xueshuxin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by xueshuxin »

All I want to say is it's really irritating to be waken up when sound asleep!

In Chinese we have a word "wake up anger", some childish anger when sb's suddenly awaken. I'm one of those with such "wake up anger"; but as I'm growing older, this has turned somewhat into "wake up heart beat fast" :? Hope you understand what I'm trying to say...

Further, for a dog to protect his/her home is kind of nature or instinct. When a stranger simply walks out of my aprartment Songsong will definitely bark loud. I won't be surprised if someone dare to knock in Songsong will bite him hard.

So maybe the best way is to tell those who're visiting you about Pekoe; chows are generally still peace lovers and won't bring much trouble :D
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Ugh! Jeff, I'm so sorry that happened to you and Pekoe. I agree with everyone :idiotic person!! I live with Special and know he wouldn't ever hurt me coming out of sleep, but even I try to let him know from far away that I'm coming so I don't startle him, it's curtousy! Heck, I get annoyed at my husband when he wakes me up like that!

I also know what you mean about how scary it is when she wasn't listening to you. When they get into that zone and they don't repond, it's scary. Sorry you guys ahd to go through that.