Poisoned

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

SleepyFilipy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Poisoned

Post by SleepyFilipy »

Our Molly was given rat poison this morning. We always let her out on the yard early in the morning since it's fresh, so she can exercise and do her business. I let her out at 6am and around 7:30 she showed up in our room barely breathing and dripping with saliva, and collapsed at the foot of our bed.

She's without a doubt a young warrior puppy, she went up the stairs from the yard to the house, until she was with us. She wasn't breathing so on the way to the vet we opened her airways so she could breathe, and afterwards her stomach was pumped. The rat poison blue tablets were immediatly identified... Right now she's resting and is ok, although the vet told us to look out for blood in her stool...

Wish I could find the "person" who did it... Lot of ideas coming to mind right now...
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Poisoned

Post by Fozzbear »

That is terrible - I hope she gets better soon.
Can people easily get in your yard?
SleepyFilipy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SleepyFilipy »

No, it' completely walled, judging from where the saliva puddles were, someone must have slipped it underneath the gate...
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Oh WOW ...i hope she is ok!!! I would put an Ad in the paper for a reward to have info found to whom might have done this to her...at least get it out there,That you know it was someone done it...And to let them know you are on to them...I would be livid if that happened to one of our dogs...I hope she is ok....
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Oh my! How horrible!!!!

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and Molly.

Please keep us updated.

Hope you find out who the culpert is and what he can be punished by law for doing it
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Oh that is just the lowest thing anyone could do. Hang in there Molly, fight the good fight and get strong.

If there is any justice you will find the offender and they will be dealt with. What if that had been a child? Some people are totally moronic and should not be let out un-supervised.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh my goodness - I am so sorry! I wish there was something I could do! :-x This really gets my blood boiling and I really want to be there with you to hunt the B******s down.
They need horse whipping.
I do hope Molly is ok, poor little love . :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

That's fortunate that Molly has been saved. Someone did it. And that is scary because of the motive behind. A dog is always a barrier for anyone who want to enter someone else's home. How is she doing now?
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this. And I will send good thoughts for Molly to continue to get strong. You are so lucky that she trusted you enough to come to you when she was so sick, so many times they just go off to die and you don't know until it is too late.

As for the...HUMANS who did it, I will be hoping that they screw up and get caught and spend some time in a cell...they belong in a cage for the rest of their lives!
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Please let us know how Molly is doing......it is such a worry
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
SleepyFilipy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SleepyFilipy »

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for their support.

I'm extremely happy to say that Molly is recovering extremely well, with no side effects so far. She started playing with her toys again today. Tomorrow I'm going to see if she's up for some outdoor exercise.

Molly the Warrior Pup 1 - Poisoning Perps 0
Thomas
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thomas »

A couple of things . . .

First, it's great that your chow is recovering so well. That's fantastic.

Next, we have an alley behind our house and people throw things into our yard (glass bottles, empty food packages, soda cans) and we also have neighborhood kids who wanted to give our dogs "treats" so they would throw food over the fence (pieces of candy, part of a sandwich, chips). We've spoken to our neighbors and this has cut way down (the kids didn't know they could hurt our dogs by trhing to be nice to them), but it's can't be stopped entirely. So, we do a once around the yard look before we let them down. It's not perfect, and once in a while they'll come trotting up with some mangled piece of plastic in their mouths, but we've stopped them from getting glass in their paws, or wolfing down the odd chicken or rib bone.

Finally, I live in an urban environment so your circumstance may be different, but we're going to install a wireless camera system in the next few months so we can keep an eye on different parts of our property. It's not our neighbors we're concerned about. It's the folks who pass through and see a target of opportunity. I bring this up beucase there are some folks who just want to kill dogs. Why else would you put rat poison under someone's gate? What if you have children and they pick up one of the tablets and eat them? People like that need to be put in a box for a while to think about what they have done. The system we're looking at costs about six hundred dollars and we can move the cameras around and they feed to a DVR that feeds to a laptop.

Good luck with Molly and damnation to the jerk who did this.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Not sure how the law is there, but maybe a police report might be in order, just in case you have any other kinds of incidences, there will be a record of it. Also, if you cannot afford a real camera, see what a dummy camera would cost. People are the worst sometimes. I hope your little Warrior stays well.
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

I don't think my opinion of what should be done to people like that should be posted on a public forum but I am sure you can guess. So glad to hear that Molly is getting better. I just don't understand how people can be so cruel.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Iam so sorry to hear about Molly. I hope she is doing better by now. She might be alittle weak.. I'd be on the look out for anyone or anything suspicious ..