Signing Vio up for classes!!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

nnguyentang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Signing Vio up for classes!!

Post by nnguyentang »

I'm so excited! Finally signing her up for puppy kindergarten! I work full time, so her "momma" (my boyfriend) is going to take her to the classes. Would it make a difference if I took her or if he took her? I do want her to listen to me too, or will she only listen to him since he will be taking her? I'm her primary caregiver and she knows it, so i don't know how it will go. any comments?
-Nat and Violet
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Signing Vio up for classes!!

Post by Rory's Dad »

She should do well with either of you. Most of the classes are geared toward her owners teaching her. They will show your boyfriend how its dont and do a few practice runs. The reinforcement is done at home, and the learning really should be reward based. Make sure you get the hand commands from your boyfriend as they are going to be learned by the dog 1st. She should respond to the command and reward (treat), not so much who is giving it. The important part of the class for the pup is the socialization. More dogs, more strangers. Make sure that he is focused (really just not poking around, sniffing everything, etc.) For me, we needed the socialization of course, but they allowed a bit to much free time for my tastes. Essentially this meant puppy wrestling, and Rory was the only intact male in class most of the time. Kinda made him both a target, and an instigator at the same time. On the plus side, i got to learn to read his signals really well.
nnguyentang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nnguyentang »

I am excited for her. My boyfriend's mom takes her lab to classes, and she does great. I hope we does just as good. But when I brought her in, the trainer was a little taken back because she is a chow. My boyfriend is more firm, whereas if I see Violet do a little smile or anything cute, I sneak her a few treats. I hear how important it is to socialize her, seeing how scared she is of people, I'm happy to get her started.
-Nat and Violet
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Isla and I are heading to classes next Sunday and having been before with two chow puppies I would say it doesn't matter who takes her but if you could attend a couple of classes in the background it would be great for you. It gives you a picture of what you are trying to acheive and the does and donts and how to be consistent. It will make her learning so much easier if you are both teaching things exactly the same and she will know she has to obey. I also think you will see the importance of not rewarding behaviour that may be cute when she is a puppy but is it what you want a fully grown 50 or 60lb chow doing. You have to think ahead incase you teach her things are good now that you regret later. Have a great time who ever takes her. I cant wait to get Isla started :)
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.