Someone verify this please thanks

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

shuk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Someone verify this please thanks

Post by shuk »

Hi! I'm just new here so I'm not really sure if I'm in the right thread to post this.
I'm having 2nd thoughts about my chowchow because his nose is a lil long although he has pure black tongue and furry coat so if there's any chow experts here that can tell me if I have a pure bred that will surely help.
Here's the story about this dog:
We bought a dog from a kennel and after a few months we verified that the dog we bought was a mix of chowchow and a siberian husky so we tried to negotiate to the seller about the situation after the negotiations, we settled for a replacement dog which is the dog below, he is 3 months old he is fluffy, energetic and healthy but I am just curious because I have seen alot of 3 months old chow chow and he is differenet If anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it thanks!
(Sorry, I don't know how to make the images small :/)
3rd picture- he is 2 months old and thats where I notice that his nose was a lil long other pictures below is the latest he is 3months old now.
nnguyentang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Someone verify this please thanks

Post by nnguyentang »

I have a few pictures of my baby girl up in the pictures section. She is 3 months, and looks just like yours but with darker hair.
-Nat and Violet
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Ears are right, eyes are good. Tail has right curl, and the hinds appear pretty straight. Tongue color is good and hangs out wayyyyyyy beyond the mouth (very chowlike). Ruff behind each leg is good as well.

Hard to say with any certainty that it is FULL chow, but most of the usual indicators are right. Did you see/meet the parents? Also, chows come in quite a few varieties, and here of course you are looking for a shorter muzzle or not. Keep in mind, that the jaw bones can be slow to develop in the pups. It may change completely in proportion between 3 mos and a year old.
shuk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shuk »

thanks for the very quick response. We will check for the changes for the muzzle to be shorter. Anyway this puppy is so cute and very playful. He makes us smile every time we look at him. Thanks again! I will post pictures of him for the next month.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Chow. There is a rumor that to get the cream color some light cinnamon's were mixed with Samyoid's 20 or more years back, which would be a lot of canine generations, but it is possible. If so your chowling may be showing the one trait of a slightly more open face. But like Rory's Dad said, their jaws can sometimes out grow their heads which make them out of proportion for a bit. Show us a picture or two when he's closer to a year old, his jaws and head should be more in proportion then.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
shuk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shuk »

Thank you very much for the replies :) I'm now relieved, I'm going to wait for it! One last question, for a 3 month old chow chow, is the fur enough or it should be thicker and longer coz I've seen another 3 month old chow chow and he already has thick fur around his head just like a lion or should I just wait till it blooms? Anyway thanks again for the reply guys I appreciate it.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Again, different types of chows. There can be short haired chows, who have a very close to the skin type of fur. The typical, or old style chow, has a mid length fur, similar to the pics with and open face and a bit longer leg and body. In the US, the current favored Chow is shorter, stockier, and has the lion type fur that you describe. None are less Chow than the other, just different varieties.
jvtwins
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jvtwins »

My chow looks very similar to yours and I have wondered about the same thing when i first got her. Even till now, I still have people questioning me when i tell them my Creamy is a pure chow. (My Creamy is almost 3yrs old and only 40lbs)